• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

JoeDavola

Private Health Care Options?

I have a feeling that we've discussed this before, and I know DTMark posted about it recently (will have to dig out his post in a second) - but what is everyone else's experience of private healthcare like?

I just phoned my doctor's office and the earliest that -any- of the doctor's in the practice can see me is one month from now. A one month wait to see a GP is effectively a service that doesn't exist as far as I'm concerned.

So what are the options with regards to a private GP service? I know there's probably a pay-as-you-go type approach but I remember DT Mark mentioned an option where you pay for a handful of appointment for a year plus some tests?

How do private appointments 'plug in' to the rest of the NHS? If I get a prescription or a blood test requested will I always have to pay full whack for them?

2 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

I have a feeling that we've discussed this before, and I know DTMark posted about it recently (will have to dig out his post in a second) - but what is everyone else's experience of private healthcare like?

I just phoned my doctor's office and the earliest that -any- of the doctor's in the practice can see me is one month from now. A one month wait to see a GP is effectively a service that doesn't exist as far as I'm concerned.

So what are the options with regards to a private GP service? I know there's probably a pay-as-you-go type approach but I remember DT Mark mentioned an option where you pay for a handful of appointment for a year plus some tests?

How do private appointments 'plug in' to the rest of the NHS? If I get a prescription or a blood test requested will I always have to pay full whack for them?

Best in the world *

* - for people who dont pay any tax for it.

1 minute ago, spygirl said:

* - for people who dont pay any tax for it.

The area in which my doc's office is located has seen a HUGE increase in migrants over the last 5 years. Last year it was a 3 week wait. Now it's a 4 week wait.

Not that I can prove there's a link of course.

"£49 per month for 6 appointments per year as an annual plan. This included some of those tests anyway as a basic health check. The extra £130 was because he wanted to run additional specific tests related to the symptoms I was describing and was at my option."

- is what DTMark said - hopefully he'll spot this and let us know what service he uses.

36 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

The area in which my doc's office is located has seen a HUGE increase in migrants over the last 5 years. Last year it was a 3 week wait. Now it's a 4 week wait.

Not that I can prove there's a link of course.

"£49 per month for 6 appointments per year as an annual plan. This included some of those tests anyway as a basic health check. The extra £130 was because he wanted to run additional specific tests related to the symptoms I was describing and was at my option."

- is what DTMark said - hopefully he'll spot this and let us know what service he uses.

You could pop your head in and look whos waiting.

You could pop your head in and look whos waiting.

Hahaha I'd actually thought about doing that! Um...great minds and all that? I then thought why bother because all that'll happen is that I'll possibly get wound up.

Really the GP appointment system should work something like:

• Has the person seen the GP ever (and has been on the books for quite a while) - see them right away
  • If they're in a high risk group (late middle aged men seems to be one) and haven't seen the GP for at least a year, then see them today.
  • If they've seen a GP once in the last year, then try to get them an appointment in the next day or so
  • If they've not seen the GP before, but they've registered fairly recently, try to get them an appointment in the next day or so.
  • If they don't fit these categories then make them wait 3 weeks for an appointment.

I put it in these terms, as in my experience it is the people who frequently interact with the surgery that know all the rules and get the day's appointments; the actual situation is exactly the reverse of what I've described above.  As someone who's not seen the GP for 5 years (and, presumably, is a bit worried about something else wouldn't be trying to see a medic) how am I meant to know that you've got to ring after 8am, but before 8:05am, to get any chance of seeing the doctor that day?  And if you're not in the 'emergency' group then you pretty much won't be seen until you're better or dead.  [Funny how my hypochondriac aunt is always at death's door when she's speaking with the surgery about needing to see the GP -- again, she's worked out the rules of how to see the medic.  I don't understand how they can't see this in their records and filter appropriately.]

[I also think that every GP appointment should cost.  Maybe £5, or something, but something.  I recon you'd weed out a fair percentage (even 5% would be significant in terms of the service provision) of the malingerers.    And no exemptions -- if you're not willing to pay £5 to see a medic then you're not ill enough.]

4 minutes ago, dgul said:

• Has the person seen the GP ever (and has been on the books for quite a while) - see them right away
  • If they're in a high risk group (late middle aged men seems to be one) and haven't seen the GP for at least a year, then see them today.
  • If they've seen a GP once in the last year, then try to get them an appointment in the next day or so
  • If they've not seen the GP before, but they've registered fairly recently, try to get them an appointment in the next day or so.
  • If they don't fit these categories then make them wait 3 weeks for an appointment.

I put it in these terms, as in my experience it is the people who frequently interact with the surgery that know all the rules and get the day's appointments; the actual situation is exactly the reverse of what I've described above.  As someone who's not seen the GP for 5 years (and, presumably, is a bit worried about something else wouldn't be trying to see a medic) how am I meant to know that you've got to ring after 8am, but before 8:05am, to get any chance of seeing the doctor that day?  And if you're not in the 'emergency' group then you pretty much won't be seen until you're better or dead.  [Funny how my hypochondriac aunt is always at death's door when she's speaking with the surgery about needing to see the GP -- again, she's worked out the rules of how to see the medic.  I don't understand how they can't see this in their records and filter appropriately.]

[I also think that every GP appointment should cost.  Maybe £5, or something, but something.  I recon you'd weed out a fair percentage (even 5% would be significant in terms of the service provision) of the malingerers.    And no exemptions -- if you're not willing to pay £5 to see a medic then you're not ill enough.]

Agreed on how often people turn up being disproportional to how ill they are - bar people with chronic conditions.

£20 an appointment.

3 minutes ago, dgul said:

I actually think this is how my local gp operates. Mrs CP had a very funny turn last year - so I told her to phone doc who I don't think she has seen since the youngest was born.

Receptionist said 'We haven't seen you for years - can you come in one hour?'

Despite the fact that all the wrinklies in the area spend half their life moaning that they can't get an appointment.

5 minutes ago, swissy_fit said:

This is spot on. 20 quid, no exceptions. All the hypochondriac twats and attention-seekers (ask any doc if you think that's an exaggeration) will desist pretty quickly and suddenly everyone will have access again.

Yeah I'd be perfectly OK with this.

But they'd only set up a £20 fee, then miss the whole point of it and make it so that the feckless get it free ...  The whole NHS is completely buggered up.

Anyway, no point in trying to get an appointment at the moment, as the NHS really is buggered up.  I suppose they'll blame the Russians.

This is my GP:

https://thewalcotepractice.co.uk/

Obviously that's only of any use if you live vaguely near Winchester, it's about half an hour from us. That was the nearest one I could find.

The NHS GP surgeries were basically closed for business round here about 18 months ago. There are no appointments.

I can't fathom why there aren't private GP practices everywhere by now.

7 minutes ago, dgul said:

But they'd only set up a £20 fee, then miss the whole point of it and make it so that the feckless get it free ...  The whole NHS is completely buggered up.

Anyway, no point in trying to get an appointment at the moment, as the NHS really is buggered up.  I suppose they'll blame the Russians.

Yes would be a waste of time if not universal, feckless or otherwise. Isn't it like that in Ireland? Or is that a myth?

1 minute ago, swissy_fit said:

Yes would be a waste of time if not universal, feckless or otherwise. Isn't it like that in Ireland? Or is that a myth?

I think so (anyone confirm).  It is (apparently) one of the reasons why NI won't ever vote to join the ROI. 

1 minute ago, SpectrumFX said:

I just Google my symptoms, and then take ibuprofen until I'm better, or dead.

It's worked a treat so far, but will one day result in me being dead, and perhaps unnecessary so. xD

You might as well miss off the Google part -- it clearly isn't influencing your self-medication, and it will only make you worry.

1 minute ago, dgul said:

You might as well miss off the Google part -- it clearly isn't influencing your self-medication, and it will only make you worry.

Ignorance is bliss.

I'll probably take up smoking again soon. I think the NHS needs the money to be honest.

xD

Just now, dgul said:

I think so (anyone confirm).  It is (apparently) one of the reasons why NI won't ever vote to join the ROI. 

Should be a reason to join for anyone but an attention-seeking fuckwit who thinks his/her cold is important or the very occasional person with a genuine chronic condition that isn't self-inflicted, maybe it would be fair to make some sort or arrangement for these folks.

One of the problems with Labour (esp.) the So-Called BBC (constantly) banging on about NHS this + that is that most people - well at least ones I know - think the NHS is shit.

I know enough people who've experienced healthcare outside of the UK that they cab see the UK system is shit.

By non NHS system I mean European and Asian.

Despite what Labou the NHS oosters say there are other healthcare systems othe than the NHS or America. Its not an either or choice FFS.

As a Spanish relative says - I dread if anything goes wrong and I have to use the NHS.

8 minutes ago, dgul said:

Interesting point that.

ROI has limited benefits -bth cash and time to claim them.

And a lot less indulgent disability payout.

How will Sinn Fein square the bright new future with the majority (as thats where the Catholics pop is heading) having to work and pay for it?

One of the problems with Labour (esp.) the So-Called BBC (constantly) banging on about NHS this + that is that most people - well at least ones I know - think the NHS is shit.

I know enough people who've experienced healthcare outside of the UK that they cab see the UK system is shit.

Despite what Labou the NHS oosters say there are other healthcare systems othe than the NHS or America. Its not an either or choice FFS.

As a Spanish relative says - I dread if anything goes wrong and I have to use the NHS.

It is interesting, itsn't it.  It appears that the one redeeming quality of the NHS is that it is free*; this dominates everything.

But, to be fair to the doomsters, there are people chomping at the bit to turn the NHS into a US style system.

[*it isn't free.  It is 20% (or whatever) of government expenditure)]

1 minute ago, dgul said:

It is interesting, itsn't it.  It appears that the one redeeming quality of the NHS is that it is free*; this dominates everything.

But, to be fair to the doomsters, there are people chomping at the bit to turn the NHS into a US style system.

[*it isn't free.  It is 20% (or whatever) of government expenditure)]

Theres people chomping to turn it into a main land European system too - part private, part public.

Interesting point that.

ROI has limited benefits -bth cash and time to claim them.

And a lot less indulgent disability payout.

How will Sinn Fein square the bright new future with the majority (as thats where the Catholics pop is heading) having to work and pay for it?

Someone on the other place missed getting 1 or2 years dole (at a fairly decent percentage of the salary) In ROI because it's contributions based and they'd been working there a few weeks less than the requisite time. It sounds to me as if the ROI have more or less the system that the UK needs.

3 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Quite so.

Political parties have to remain wedded to the current NHS model.

Because it's free.

Except, of course, it isn't. And while we persist with a State monopoly on healthcare in most areas, we don't get a range of private options.

Healthcare is one of those conundrums that is very difficult to solve. Leave it entirely to the private sector and the pricing will find a "perfect" point at which many are totally priced out because that's the pricing level that maximises profit.

Leave it to the State and there is no impetus to improve efficiency or make it more cost-effective and so it requires a ever-increasing, bottomless pot of money. The solution to all ills is always more money.

Actually I don't know why it is that in this country, we just can't operate public services effectively. It seems to go for just about everything. Other countries seem to manage. Crap public services seem to be a Very British Thing.

There is no reason for state provision to be shit. There's no need to privatise it they just need to fire or demote incompetent people more regularly. That probably wouldn't make it perfect but it would make it a hell of a lot better.