• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

I can attest to this being a thing.

I lived in a HMO with a great girl, loved by all. Well a few years after we all moved away I found out on FaceCancer that she had died of Sepsis in Venice of all places. Very shocking and sad given how many people loved her. Apparently, she had felt dodgy one day went to the docs, then the hospital, then died the day after. 30 years old. Terribly sad.

There but for the grace of God.

Nearly took out the mother in law, she was going down quickly after a trip abroad. The doctor was called out but she seemed more interested in her lunch appointment. A few hours later father in law called the ambulance as delirium had set in and getting unresponsive. Was very much touch and go and a whole barrage of antibiotics over the next day.

My late mother had a scan done at the hospital on her painful hip.

Ten days later she collapsed and was taken into hospital on a Sunday morning. She was ignored that day.

After family complaints a consultant saw her and her files. When he looked at the scan done 10 ten days earlier he sent her for emergency surgery because her hip was showing that it was badly infected 

Too late! She never regained consciousness due to sepsis and the flesh eating bug getting hold.

2 minutes ago, Van Lady said:

My late mother had a scan done at the hospital on her painful hip.

Ten days later she collapsed and was taken into hospital on a Sunday morning. She was ignored that day.

After family complaints a consultant saw her and her files. When he looked at the scan done 10 ten days earlier he sent her for emergency surgery because her hip was showing that it was badly infected 

Too late! She never regained consciousness due to sepsis and the flesh eating bug getting hold.

Sorry to hear that.

Posted (edited)

Seems to be far more prolific now than I can ever remember. 

I personally know of three people that have had it. My brother contracted it in hospital which caused him some grief. A friend of ours felt a bit off one day and went to the docs. He ended up in A&E that afternoon and it nearly finished him off. Sepsis moves with terrifying swiftness.

Another was my mates little girl who's three. They caught it early but Jesus...

I did read somewhere that the rising immunity to antibiotics has something to do with sepsis being on the increase but I don't know enough about it to know if that's true or not.

Edited by Sgt Hartman

1 minute ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Seems to be far more prolific now than I can ever remember. 

I personally know of three people that have had it, brother contracted it in hospital which caused him some grief. A friend of ours felt a bit off one day and went to the docs. He ended up in A&E that day and it nearly finished him off it moved with terrifying swiftness.

Another was my mates little girl who's three. They caught it early but Jesus...

I did read somewhere that the rising immunity to antibiotics has something to do with sepsis being on the increase but I don't know enough about it to know if that's true or not.

There is a TV charity ad on during the daytime for a Sepsis charity - two real life stories of people who felt unwell and who then went blind. Scares the hell out of me.

I just jumped out of the way of a small dog on a lead whose owner had decided that a 10 foot long lead was the way to go. He seemed shocked that I had jumped away from his poodle-like dog and assured me the dog would not bite.

I pointed out that I was wearing cycling shorts and don't want my legs licked by a dog who has been sticking its nose & mouth in all sorts of things. Cyclists regularly get cuts on their legs and sepsis is something that is always on my mind when dog owners think it is OK to allow their dogs go lick the cyclist's legs.

2 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Sorry to hear that.

Thanks. I’ll be honest I didn’t get on too well with my late mother but my siblings, nephew and my own two kids were very very distressed over it. 

On the Monday evening it was clear to me from what the doctor said that she wouldn’t survive and it was best to remove the life support. Unfortunately my two siblings said no because there was still hope. I didn’t dare to disagree with them and the poor woman lingered on life support for ten days. It was awful!

I didn’t sit at the hospital much. Done my bit by providing a meal for them all every evening.

My late mother died needlessly through negligence. IMO it happens frequently!

1 minute ago, Van Lady said:

Thanks. I’ll be honest I didn’t get on too well with my late mother but my siblings, nephew and my own two kids were very very distressed over it. 

On the Monday evening it was clear to me from what the doctor said that she wouldn’t survive and it was best to remove the life support. Unfortunately my two siblings said no because there was still hope. I didn’t dare to disagree with them and the poor woman lingered on life support for ten days. It was awful!

I didn’t sit at the hospital much. Done my bit by providing a meal for them all every evening.

I think so. I suspect most of us will die through NHSD staff incompetence, indifference or over-work.

I have suffered racism twice in Swansea NHS I believe because I have a Polish name - I am pretty sure that one day it will be what kills me off in the NHS.

One of my brother in laws had a touch and go time two years ago with sepsis. While on holiday he developed an infected gall bladder then sepsis and had to be on an intravenous drip for a few days. He was very lucky.

1 minute ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I think so. I suspect most of us will die through NHSD staff incompetence, indifference or over-work.

I have suffered racism twice in Swansea NHS I believe because I have a Polish name - I am pretty sure that one day it will be what kills me off in the NHS.

Agree!

I know of at least three people who have died through negligence etc in the past two years.

All kept going to the doctor for months to over a year.

All three were eventually diagnosed with cancer and died within a few weeks of diagnosis.

As it’s often said on Dosbods, it’s better to try and look after health through a basic additive free home cooked diet, exercise and staying trim to reduce your chances of having to go anywhere near gp’s or hospitals

55 minutes ago, Van Lady said:

Siblings always get in the way of commonsense. Not sepsis but pneumonia nearly took my dementia diseased father and it was clear the doctors were offering a care pathway that would put an end to his misery but mine and my mothers wish for him not to be given antibiotics was overruled by my two sisters who'd offered no support in the preceding years and he suffered for a further miserable 1.5 years. 

1 hour ago, Van Lady said:

Agree!

I know of at least three people who have died through negligence etc in the past two years.

All kept going to the doctor for months to over a year.

All three were eventually diagnosed with cancer and died within a few weeks of diagnosis.

As it’s often said on Dosbods, it’s better to try and look after health through a basic additive free home cooked diet, exercise and staying trim to reduce your chances of having to go anywhere near gp’s or hospitals

Doctors are just like anyone else - there are good ones and bad ones.

And they are not God. The chances of an average doctor correctly diagnosing you first time are less than 50%. If you care so much about your health, lose some weight, exercise and eat healthily. Maybe befriend a pre-eminent oncologist.

3 minutes ago, billfunk said:

Doctors are just like anyone else - there are good ones and bad ones.

And they are not God. The chances of an average doctor correctly diagnosing you first time are less than 50%. If you care so much about your health, lose some weight, exercise and eat healthily. Maybe befriend a pre-eminent oncologist.

Welll proplem is that Drs - and other people working in uk nhs - are different from everyone else.

The shit ones dont get sacked.

See that pompey gosport dr death woman.

1 minute ago, longtomsilver said:

Siblings always get in the way of commonsense. Not sepsis but pneumonia nearly took my dementia diseased father and it was clear the doctors were offering a care pathway that would put an end to his misery but mine and my mothers wish for him not to be given antibiotics was overruled by my two sisters who'd offered no support in the preceding years and he suffered for a further miserable 1.5 years. 

From your anecdote my late mother was lucky....she only had ten days as opposed to two year’s suffering.

The reason I couldn’t stomach sitting at her hospital bed on life support and under sedation is that I can’t endorse that people feel no pain in that circumstance.

Interestingly one of my sisters, in a weak moment with tears spilling, told me about a year later that one day tears were rolling down my late mother’s cheek in her last ten days. Not a surprise to me at all being interested in life circumstances!

Awwww your poor old dad!

I quite intimately know a family of seven who have a mother diagnosed with dementia. It’s been going on ten plus years looking after her. She’s 90 now.

No quality of life. She has been admitted to hospital several times but the family are divided between do everything you can and let her go. Poor woman has no quality of life whatsoever.

Just :(

19 minutes ago, Van Lady said:

From your anecdote my late mother was lucky....she only had ten days as opposed to two year’s suffering.

The reason I couldn’t stomach sitting at her hospital bed on life support and under sedation is that I can’t endorse that people feel no pain in that circumstance.

Interestingly one of my sisters, in a weak moment with tears spilling, told me about a year later that one day tears were rolling down my late mother’s cheek in her last ten days. Not a surprise to me at all being interested in life circumstances!

Awwww your poor old dad!

I quite intimately know a family of seven who have a mother diagnosed with dementia. It’s been going on ten plus years looking after her. She’s 90 now.

No quality of life. She has been admitted to hospital several times but the family are divided between do everything you can and let her go. Poor woman has no quality of life whatsoever.

Just :(

Not really about Sepsis but... I remember my Gran a few years back. She was 92, I think, and suffered some health problems which necessitated her being taken into an "Old Peoples' Home" (she had until this point lived perfectly independently her whole life. I remember her always stood in her 1950s kitchen talking and cooking and having no perceivable health problems to this point). 

Anyway we went to see her one week and you could tell she was on the way out. Her face was drained and skeletal. It was sad, but people die and we were all grown up so it was no shock. She was recounting how the night before she had had a bit of a "to-do" and had felt ropey and blacked out. She said "I thought I was going to die". Naturally we all assured her she was being dramatic but I did think she was maybe having a laugh on us. She knew she was on the way out and also knew we would always deny it. Maybe she was testing the veracity of our responses to establish how far gone she was. Maybe it was all in earnest. I have always credited her with a very dry sense of humour. I will never know. She died within days. I was somewhere else.

Posted (edited)

To be fair there is a massive campaign within the NHS to spot and act immediately.  1 hours difference can mean the difference between you surviving or dying.

But i feel for you poor people who have lost loved ones in this way.

Edited by Wahoo
Added statement

11 minutes ago, Wahoo said:

To be fair there is a massive campaign within the NHS to spot and act immediately.  1 hours difference can mean the difference between you surviving or dying.

But i feel for you poor people who have lost loved ones in this way.

To be fair my two siblings with a nursing background have fought from 2010 with the local NHS.

Death, unnecessarily IMO, from sepsis is still happening in Dumfries & Galloway despite all the NHS blurb :(

Hopefully they’re fighting has contributed overall to the NHS taking the issue very seriously with more relevant staff training.

However it seems to be a very basic issue to me and should be spotted quickly through basic obs!