• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Melchett

Jams and preserves

Posted (edited)

Although this years strawberry crop is nearly done for us, I have come to the realisation that we have enough rhubarb, gooseberries and redcurrants this year to give me a terminal case of the trots. So jam making is going into overdrive. It’s become like an obsession. Finish work, quick tea, down the allotment for a couple of hours then slaving over the jam pan till darkness comes.

My wife wanted an extra freezer this year to stick all the stuff that isnt jammed and pickled in, but failed to do any of the requisite decluttering to accomodate such a thing

So, time to start a thread where we can confess in a Safe Space.

apologies if this is a dupe of an existing topic.

Edited by Melchett

Posted (edited)

Does elderflower turkish delight fit into this thread. First time we've made it and I reckon we already have a year's supply.

Top tip: Supermarket 'basic' pickled beetroot is a good source of jam jars, although we did chuck away loads of lemon curd one year when it was buy 1 get 1 free, which worked out at 15p per jar.

Too much of

Bread and butter pickle, cucumber relish, picalilli, marrow, runner bean, and tomato chutneys, tomato sauce, blackberry and elderberry, strawberrry, raspberry, blackcurrant, gooseberry and plum jams, blackberry, crab apple, crab apple and sage, crab apple and mint jellies.

We bought another freezer, far too much road kill, seafood, and fruits that we didn't make into jam.

Edited by Hopeful

I’m filling my freezer with pies. :)

rhubarb crumbles a couple of weeks ago and going bilberry picking next week, so bilberry pies then.  

Just now, Hopeful said:

Does elderflower turkish delight fit into this thread. First time we've made it and I reckon we already have a year's supply.

Top tip: Supermarket 'basic' pickled beetroot is a good source of jam jars, although we did chuck away loads of lemon curd one year when it was buy 1 get 1 free, which worked out at 15p per jar.

Too much of

Bread and butter pickle, cucumber relish, picalilli, marrow, runner bean, and tomato chutneys, tomato sauce, blackberry and elderberry, strawberrry, raspberry, blackcurrant, gooseberry and plum jams,blackberry, crab apple, crab apple and sage, crab apple and mint jellies.

We bought another freezer, far too much road kill, seafood, and fruits that we didn;t make into jam.

I like the idea of elderflower Turkish delight.  Too late for this year but could you post the recipe?

1 hour ago, Hopeful said:

What do you do with all that pickled beetroot? Buy another jar to put it in or have a pickled beetroot feast?

2 minutes ago, Melchett said:

What do you do with all that pickled beetroot? Buy another jar to put it in or have a pickled beetroot feast?

We eat probaby 50%, gets stored in tupperware in the fridge, but GF is a chef, so other people also help out xD

But the lemon curd went down the drain.

But at an average of 20-30p a jar it's cheaper than buying jars, for example Lakeland where 12 jars cost about £10 and you get beetroot

I used to scrounge jars and bottles but haven't had to so far this year.

have only made up last years jam. All fruit went into freezer as poorly elbow meant no jam making (Apart from the plum that I conned son into making for me)

Starting to pick strawberries and freeze them for jam. 

Fruit vodka is a good use of fruit. I have free vodka which helps. Rhubarb needs straining. 

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

have only made up last years jam. All fruit went into freezer as poorly elbow meant no jam making (Apart from the plum that I conned son into making for me)

Fruit vodka is a good use of fruit. I have free vodka which helps. Rhubarb needs straining. 

We make  Rumtopf

This is a good book too Ices - Definitive guide  esp the rhubarb crumble ice cream. This is the best designed home ice cream maker IMO as, unlike in other brands, it is the bowl that turns and not the paddle, and so it churns until the ice cream is set, which is long after other types sieze because the mix has got too stiff.

Edited by Hopeful

30 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

We make  Rumtopf

This is a good book too Ices - Definitive guide  esp the rhubarb crumble ice cream. This is the best designed home ice cream maker IMO as, unlike in other brands, it is the bowl that turns and not the paddle, and so it churns until the ice cream is set, which is long after other types sieze because the mix has got too stiff.

oo got an ice cream maker. Think we have used it once. It requires too much freezer space. Was a prize I think as I wouldn't have bought it. Ah I remember, housing units via FB. 

1 minute ago, sarahbell said:

oo got an ice cream maker. Think we have used it once. It requires too much freezer space. Was a prize I think as I wouldn't have bought it. Ah I remember, housing units via FB. 

Our ice cream maker bowl is full of something in the freezer, runner beans I think.

I believe it's a lot easier to make a preserve (or possibly conserve?) as it doesnt need to be strained or chopped as much. I've got loads of redcurrants, don't really know why I bought a bush as they have no bloody use except jam or jelly.

25 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

I believe it's a lot easier to make a preserve (or possibly conserve?) as it doesnt need to be strained or chopped as much. I've got loads of redcurrants, don't really know why I bought a bush as they have no bloody use except jam or jelly.

a what now?

Blackcurrants can be a bit chewy if they've not been destalked properly or cooked for hundreds of hours.

I throw all frozen fruit into pan (Who wants to make jam when it's hot enough to ripen fruit?)
Add a bit of water but not loads.
boil.
Blend with stick blender.
Strain through sieve - not a really fine one as It takes tooooooooooo long.
Measure liquid. 2kg to 2l sugar: liquid.
Heat until boiled and at 105'C. 
Thermometer makes it easy but testing a drop on a sauce until it wrinkles works (And gives you lots of sampling)
mixed fruit was blackcurrants, raspberry and gooseberry. No strawberries in freezer apparently last week.

Do not put your hand in the pan at any point. Sugar makes it really hot and sticky and it'll burn you badly if you do.

Wash and dry jars in oven at 100'c. (only jars with a popper on)
Add jam and put lids on. Sit in another room and await the popping sound of jars as air contracts and pulls lid down.

If it's runny still then you didn't boil it enough and can reboil BUT you need to clean the jars again.
Or tell people it's 'french set'.

Strawberries need pectin adding to set properly. 
Always fill the jars. If you don't fill a jar fully then eat that first.

7 hours ago, sarahbell said:

Free vodka? If it's 90% abv or higher, try this: Apple Pie Moonshine:

In a 1 litre bottle, put in one cinnamon stick and 250ml of 90+% abv spirit. Top up to 1 litre with apple  juice. Best ime is the cloudy apple juice from Aldi. Is close to 25% abv. That's plenty as it goes down like nectar. Can add a touch of whatever else you'd put in an apple pie, eg. nutmeg. In the rare event of a bottle lasting a full week, you can decant off the cinnamon stick.

btw, apart from strawberries, almost all fruit can be made into wine. Doesn't matter too much how long it takes, keep buying 25 litre fermenters until you've got plenty of country wines. :)

15 hours ago, jm51 said:

Free vodka? If it's 90% abv or higher, try this: Apple Pie Moonshine:

It's just vodka that's been bought back from Spain when the MIL buys cigs. They didn't get any the last time they went though. 
It transpired she'd been getting it for years but didn't want to drag it back (cos she didn't drink vodka) as it weighs so much so used to leave it as a tip for the cleaners.  I've got enough to last the next few years.

For apple pie moonshine, that would mean a lower % abv drink or less apple juice. Tough choice. :)

Posted (edited)

I made joss berry jelly last night. Holy crap does that stuff have a lot of pectin. It practically set in the jam pan as I was heating it!

Edited by Melchett

27 minutes ago, Melchett said:

I made joss berry jelly last night. Holy crap does that stuff have a lot of pectin. It practically set in the jam pan as I was heating it!

Wossa Joss Berry, is that a local name for whim/blae/bilberrys?

48 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

Wossa Joss Berry, is that a local name for whim/blae/bilberrys?

Dunno. Maybe. Its like a mutant blackcurrant. Its what my wife calls them. I just pick and fruit and make jam.

On 20/06/2018 at 14:20, sarahbell said:

Blackcurrants can be a bit chewy if they've not been destalked properly or cooked for hundreds of hours.

My old neighbour showed me a clever trick to destalk blackcurrants: freeze them overnight, then wrap them in a clean tea towel and rub the fruit together vigourously for about a minute to break off the stalks and hairy beards. Tip the fruit into a colander and rinse off the detritus under the cold tap, then refreeze or just use immediately for jam etc.

On 01/07/2018 at 22:09, InLikeFlynn said:

My old neighbour showed me a clever trick to destalk blackcurrants: freeze them overnight, then wrap them in a clean tea towel and rub the fruit together vigourously for about a minute to break off the stalks and hairy beards. Tip the fruit into a colander and rinse off the detritus under the cold tap, then refreeze or just use immediately for jam etc.

I'll have to give that a go... ta.

On 01/07/2018 at 22:09, InLikeFlynn said:

yeah sounds interesting. Might try. Too hot today to pick berries.

Made rhubarb and ginger jam yesterday, surprisingly good although not the firmest of sets. I say "Surprisingly" because the rhubarb is getting a bit woody, I wonder if that's why it hasn't set very hard. Can't say I'm too bothered as it tastes delicious.