• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Melchett

Jams and preserves

On 04/07/2018 at 14:26, InLikeFlynn said:

Made rhubarb and ginger jam yesterday, surprisingly good although not the firmest of sets. I say "Surprisingly" because the rhubarb is getting a bit woody, I wonder if that's why it hasn't set very hard. Can't say I'm too bothered as it tastes delicious.

Try rhubarb and vanilla, too. It's delicious. 

And if you chill the rhubarb jam (stick it in the fridge) it may well set quite well...

Recent jam-making revelation for me was the jam thermometer.  Don't even bother with the frozen plates anymore.  Just make sure its got pectin, and wait till it hits 105.  If anything, iits sometimes a little too solid.  Seems to keep better that way.  I reboil the jars on an individual basis in the microwave.  Take out a spoon of jam.  Replace with spoon of water.  50 secs on high.  Give it a stir, and perfecto.

11 hours ago, Bricks & Mortar said:

Recent jam-making revelation for me was the jam thermometer.  

Yes it's very useful.
But giving a drop of jam up to a cold saucer also gets you the chance to taste the jam. Several times.

13 hours ago, Bricks & Mortar said:

Recent jam-making revelation for me was the jam thermometer.  Don't even bother with the frozen plates anymore.  Just make sure its got pectin, and wait till it hits 105.  If anything, iits sometimes a little too solid.  Seems to keep better that way.  I reboil the jars on an individual basis in the microwave.  Take out a spoon of jam.  Replace with spoon of water.  50 secs on high.  Give it a stir, and perfecto.

Thanks for the tip. One for the Christmas stocking this year.

17 hours ago, sarahbell said:

fifteen and a half jars of mixed jam in  the kitchen

Amateur ;)  I have 68 under the stairs, another handful in the fridge and another handful already eaten.

God knows why. None of us really eat jam xD

In other news, the other halfs tomato plants now seem to be cropping a few kilos a day and Im stumped to know what to do with the surplus. Ideas?

1 hour ago, Melchett said:

Amateur ;)  I have 68 under the stairs, another handful in the fridge and another handful already eaten.

In other news, the other halfs tomato plants now seem to be cropping a few kilos a day and Im stumped to know what to do with the surplus. Ideas?

Roast the tomatoes and eat as pasta sauce, pizza topping and random tomato sauce. Freeze it in bags and use again when you're not sick of tomatoes.

Oh I don't know why I made any - I have a good 30 jars in the cupboard, but it needs using before I turn the freezer off. Have offered the remaining fruit to people on FB. *(Who haven't come and got it and one person expects me to drag it out with me tonight and he'll have a freezer bag with him ffs. I should have just composted it.

Just now, sarahbell said:

Roast the tomatoes and eat as pasta sauce, pizza topping and random tomato sauce. Freeze it in bags and use again when you're not sick of tomatoes.

Oh I don't know why I made any - I have a good 30 jars in the cupboard, but it needs using before I turn the freezer off. Have offered the remaining fruit to people on FB. *(Who haven't come and got it and one person expects me to drag it out with me tonight and he'll have a freezer bag with him ffs. I should have just composted it.

That’s an excellent idea. I just need to bring Lady M round to the idea of doing unspeakable (as she sees it) things to her tomatoes. Give it another few days “this week I have mostly been eating tomatoes” and I hope she’ll see the wisdom in this.

Funny Thing is no matter how many times I reminded eldest daughter to take some jam And tomatoes with her to uni last week she doesn’t seem to have taken any. >:(

18 hours ago, Melchett said:

That’s an excellent idea. I just need to bring Lady M round to the idea of doing unspeakable (as she sees it) things to her tomatoes. Give it another few days “this week I have mostly been eating tomatoes” and I hope she’ll see the wisdom in this.

Funny Thing is no matter how many times I reminded eldest daughter to take some jam And tomatoes with her to uni last week she doesn’t seem to have taken any. >:(

Go and visit the child with a box of goodies. :-D

1 hour ago, spunko2010 said:

How many tomato plants produce 1kg a day? ive got 6, and I'm getting about 10 tomatoes a day on average.

I think she crossed hers with triffids. They're six foot tall at least and laden with the monsters, plus they take up a fair bit of the allotment. Lady M never does things by halves.... We arent talking a couple of pot plants on the wndow sill.

This is just yesterdays crop, minus what we have eaten in the last 24 hours

IMG_5078.JPG

On 05/09/2018 at 15:06, Melchett said:

Tomato sauce and tomato chutney.  You could probably make a passata too.

I'll raise you by a couple of hundred lbs, however. and have just made 8lbs of bramble jelly and 12lbs of sloe and apple jelly (fantastic with duck, hare, goose, lamb). Tons of strawberry, raspberry, crab apple jelly, blackberry and elderberry, blackcurrant, gooseberry, Victoria plum. We don;t really eat jam, well we would, it's bread we don't eat, which is a bit of a problem.

not to mention the chutneys and pickles filling every fekkng cupboard, nook and cranny..

Got 4 gallons of blackberry wine bubbling away

Mental - If it's there I have to preserve it. We've only just started opening 2003 vintage jams and I still have a few bottles of 2010 blackberry wine left - like fruit juice but after 2 glasses you then fall over.

Edited by Hopeful

I’m currently undecided if I can be arsed with pickling onions this year - by no means a failure but would have to honestly appraise them as only middling in flavour. Not sure I’m going near any onion farms in Lincolnshire, either, in the immediate future but if I do I’II buy a slightly bigger grade as the peeling did my head in last year. Ought to really as went a bit mad with the bulk buying last year and have got about 25 litres of unused apple cider vinegar.

Edited by SNACR

14 hours ago, SNACR said:

I’m currently undecided if I can be arsed with pickling onions this year - by no means a failure but would have to honestly appraise them as only middling in flavour. Not sure I’m going near any onion farms in Lincolnshire, either, in the immediate future but if I do I’II buy a slightly bigger grade as the peeling did my head in last year. Ought to really as went a bit mad with the bulk buying last year and have got about 25 litres of unused apple cider vinegar.

peeling is awful work.