DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

The Big Short Thread

sancho panza

9 hours ago, sancho panza said:

@Sugarlips @A_P

following on from the aussie thread

what retail bubble

will definitely be having a bash on woolworths if IG will take the bet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_companies_of_Australia

image.thumb.png.59bd3eae35040087d374c01cb1576e6d.png

image.thumb.png.9600778b7e5e62de66a3b47519d367db.png

Wesfarmers recently spun out Coles to its own stock. Both Coles and Woolies focus on consumer staples ala Sainsburys. Whilst Aldi have a foothold there are not many other big food discounters so the big 2 will maintain their dominance for the foreseeable even as discrectionary spending is turned off. Both have highly profitable liquor arms who will likely do ok into a depression. Wesfarmers own Bunn8ngs which will be in a world of pain however again with the demise of Masters they have market dominance so will control margins even if demand and/or the currency crashes.

2 sides to ever coin. I dont hold any aussie shares. I think there will be better shorting opportunities personally, check out AHG for example. Shorters wouldve made a fortune banking against mortgage brokers last week (see mortgage choice for example).

11 hours ago, Sugarlips said:

Wesfarmers recently spun out Coles to its own stock. Both Coles and Woolies focus on consumer staples ala Sainsburys. Whilst Aldi have a foothold there are not many other big food discounters so the big 2 will maintain their dominance for the foreseeable even as discrectionary spending is turned off. Both have highly profitable liquor arms who will likely do ok into a depression. Wesfarmers own Bunn8ngs which will be in a world of pain however again with the demise of Masters they have market dominance so will control margins even if demand and/or the currency crashes.

2 sides to ever coin. I dont hold any aussie shares. I think there will be better shorting opportunities personally, check out AHG for example. Shorters wouldve made a fortune banking against mortgage brokers last week (see mortgage choice for example).

Thanks for the heads up.Woolies look an ok punt from a chart point of view but not compelling.Wesfarmers too.

Mortgage choice look doomed.Any Aussie credit card/housebuilder/fashion rertialer/airline names you can offer up is there? I really feel Oz is rolling over big tiem.

And as ever.on the back of no IR rises.

• 1 month later...

BBC: Lyft valued at $24bn ahead of share market debut

Ride-hailing firm Lyft has priced its shares at $72 amid strong investor demand, valuing the firm at $24.3bn (£18.6bn).

Lyft's revenues doubled in 2018 to reach $2.2bn, compared with $1.1bn in 2017, according to its filing with the US Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC).

However, its losses also increased. The company lost $911m in 2018, up from $688m in 2017.

Under_012f72_2018186.jpg

Apologies as this is not about a particular stock, I would just like to find the easiest way to enter shorts.  More specifically, on Degiro:

How do I place a short sell order?
To open a short position, you simply place a sell order on a product in which you do not currently hold a long position. This service is only available for Active, Trader, and Day Trader profiles.

Please be aware that we do not offer the ability to short US securities or Risk Category D products. We do offer the possibility to go short in US CFDs.

Let's say, I short sell a share.  Presumably, I need to have cash balance equal to its price at that point?  Can I hold that short for a long time, topping up cash if the share price goes up before I close the short position?

11 hours ago, Bear Hug said:

Apologies as this is not about a particular stock, I would just like to find the easiest way to enter shorts.  More specifically, on Degiro:

Let's say, I short sell a share.  Presumably, I need to have cash balance equal to its price at that point?  Can I hold that short for a long time, topping up cash if the share price goes up before I close the short position?

You wouldn't ordinarily have to have cash equal to the share price.

Think of it as a loan -- they'll happily loan you the share and you have to hold sufficient cash to cover a 'realistic range of price increase' (the margin).  You don't need to 'top up' on price increases so long as you've got sufficient margin.

As it is a loan there is a 'cost of holding the short', which is a sort-of interest payment on the load (but technically isn't an interest payment, if you're sensitive to such matters)

The other thing is many people don't actually short 'properly' -- ie, they don't actually borrow the shares and then sell them on the market.  Most people use 'betting' products like spread-betting to do the short.  This is very useful in the UK as it is treated as betting and thus doesn't attract capital gains tax (also note losses can't be offset against CGT liable gains).  Note that spread betting can be used to go long as well. 

[I don't know what Degiro do -- it looks like an actual short, but I bet it is a derivative under the skin (ie, you don't actually own the shares before you sell them, and Degiro just keep a tab on the books.  Still, probably no difference to the way you'd get the gain/liability)]

From the point of view of 'holding the short', spread betters also charge daily (and are a bit expensive, but OTOH it is very easy to do).

The vitally important thing to remember about shorting (and spread-betting as well, but with spread betting this extends to longs) is that the losses can very easily exceed the money you put down.  Unlike with normal shares where you can stoically say 'the worst that can happen is I'll lose the investment I put into those shares', with shorting / spread-betting the worst that can happen is that you'll lose 10x or more of the punt you placed.

So -- if you go down the shorting route (by whatever method) it is vitally important to set proper stop-losses (ie, an automated worst-case sell price that you set), and there's a very good argument for the use of a guaranteed stop-loss (because of the risk of a large change overnight).  

• Agree 1

Castlevania

Technically speaking if you short a share you receive the money for selling it. You’ll need to borrow the share from a shareholder and pay them a loan fee as well as any dividends due. You can then put that money to use elsewhere.

On 30/03/2019 at 11:53, dgul said:

You wouldn't ordinarily have to have cash equal to the share price.

Think of it as a loan -- they'll happily loan you the share and you have to hold sufficient cash to cover a 'realistic range of price increase' (the margin).  You don't need to 'top up' on price increases so long as you've got sufficient margin.

As it is a loan there is a 'cost of holding the short', which is a sort-of interest payment on the load (but technically isn't an interest payment, if you're sensitive to such matters)

Thanks, looks like margin rates for Degiro are:

DEBIT RATES Currency Fee

Unallocated debit rate (all currencies) 4%

Allocated debit rate (GBP) LIBOR (minimum of 0) + 1.25%

But I'll probably put more than enough cash in there anyway before I try any shorting.  It's not very well documented but I guess that's a tradeoff for very low fees.

• 2 months later...
sancho panza
On 30/03/2019 at 00:42, Bear Hug said:

I short via IG.You need margin to place as a deposit and then if a stop loss gets triggered greater than what you have in cash they will liquidate positions.Using guaranteed stops prevents that.

On a separate matter.

https://wolfstreet.com/2019/06/10/was-this-the-very-minute-of-peak-insanity-in-ipo-stocks/

Was this the Very Minute of Peak-Insanity in IPO Stocks?

by Wolf Richter • Jun 10, 2019 • 167 Comments • Email to a friend

Those who bet on the most obvious short in the history of mankind got the heads handed to them.

Every stock-market IPO cycle has this minute. And afterwards is all downhill. And I wish I could be the guy who’d correctly pinpoint the very moment when peak-insanity in IPO stocks occurs, down not only to the day, but the very minute, and then bet on it correctly. So maybe I won’t be that guy, given that I’ve been on record for years as to why I’m not shorting anything anymore in this crazy market. But I have a candidate for this pinpoint minute of peak-insanity: Today at 9:59 a.m. Eastern Time.

This was the minute that the shares of Beyond Meat [BYND] hit for a moment $186.43, giving this company a market capitalization of about $11 billion, billion with a B. This is not some monolithic monopolistic iconic corporation. It’s a small maker of fake-meat hamburgers and hotdogs with just $40 million in sales and $6.6 million in losses last quarter after 10 years in business – just small-company stuff. And it’s competing with a gaggle of other fake-meat hamburger makers.

The IPO price was $25, set on May 27, giving it a valuation of $1.5 billion, which was already nuts for a company of this minuscule size. The next day, the first trade took place just after noon, at $46, whereupon the price jumped, and shares closed at $65.75, giving it a market cap of nearly $4 billion. And it went from there. Friday, shares surged another 39%. Today until 9:59 a.m., shares surged another 34%.

From the IPO price to today at 9:59 a.m., in less than two weeks, shares soared by 645%. What is nuts is how much the value of this little-bitty company surged from an already nutty IPO valuation.

Beyond Meat is not a biotech company that has gotten FDA approval to sell its cure for cancer that it can flog for $10,000 per daily dose. This is just a fake-meat hamburger and hotdog maker with plenty of competition.

This is not to say there is no market for fake-meat hamburgers and hotdogs. History has proven time and again that, when bombarded with enough hype, marketing, and advertising, we will buy and eat anything.

And just for reference, this is what this burger is made of, instead of “beef,” according to Beyond Meat’s website:

Water, Pea Protein Isolate*, Expeller-Pressed Canola Oil, Refined Coconut Oil, Contains 2% or less of the following: Cellulose from Bamboo, Methylcellulose, Potato Starch, Natural Flavor, Maltodextrin, Yeast Extract, Salt, Sunflower Oil, Vegetable Glycerin, Dried Yeast, Gum Arabic, Citrus Extract (to protect quality), Ascorbic Acid (to maintain color), Beet Juice Extract (for color), Acetic Acid, Succinic Acid, Modified Food Starch, Annatto (for color).

As you can see from the ingredients, of the 270 calories in this industrial product, 170 are from fat. But fresh peas have practically no fat and are absolutely delicious.

It’s nice to have a choice at the grocery store. And it’s good to get consumers to spend money. That keeps the economy rolling.

And the entire IPO razzmatazz has put this company on the map. Everyone is talking about it. The IPO and the surge of the shares afterwards was free propaganda. It’s all over the media. People who’d never heard of this small outfit before are now citing the CEO by name in locker rooms (happened to me). And it’s not even in a high-growth industry, but industrialized food, an industry that has near-zero growth rates.

So now we have a company that at 9:59 a.m. today was worth $11 billion.

From the first day of trading, it was the most obvious short in the history of mankind. It was so obvious that everyone shorted it. Short interest has been huge. And these shorts – including big guns like Citron Research’s Andrew Left – have gotten their heads handed to them.

Part of the insane 39% surge on Friday and the 34% surge this morning was short-seller panic, where they tried to close their short positions by buying the shares, and having to chase the share higher and higher as they skyrocketed, and each time a short seller desperately bid up the shares to close out the short position, it drove those shares even higher.

Volume today was huge, for a company this small. There are only about 60 million shares outstanding. On Friday, 23.9 million shares were traded. Of these trades, short volume accounted for 6 million shares, or 25% of total volume. Today, 24.7 million shares were traded.

BYND shorts lost $398 million just through Friday, according to research S3 Partners cited by CNBC. And they lost another bundle today. It was a monstrous short-covering panic. The costliest bet is the most obvious short in the history of mankind.

From 9:59 a.m. this morning through the close, shares dropped nearly 10% to close at $168.10. So that was a relief for short-sellers. But after the 34% jump this morning, shares still ended the day up 21%.

It is this kind of head-scratcher that forms the ideal candidate for pinpointing the very minute of peak-insanity. This is the craziest IPO in at least a decade. But this is not to say that something even crazier won’t come along, and everyone jumps on the bandwagon for a while to drive it up into the stratosphere before it comes unwound, with the usual suspects as bag-holders. But this generally doesn’t happen until after enough shorts have been taken out the back and shot just before that peak-insanity minute.

Stock market and corporate bond market are in la-la-land, pricing in an economic boom. They’re not seeing a rate-cut economy. So why would the Fed? Read...  Here’s My Prediction: If the Fed Doesn’t Cut Rates 3 or 4 Times by Dec 11, Markets Are Going to Crap

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

BBC: Slack IPO

Shares in messaging app Slack surged 49% as the company became the latest tech start-up to join the stock market.

Slack set a guide price of $26 a share, but rose 60% at the start of trading before easing back to finish at $39.

...The jump in the share price put the value of the company at $25bn.

...like many big tech firms coming to market, Slack has never made a profit. Although revenue rose 80% to $400m in 2018, losses were $144m.

Good job I haven't managed to short anything yet, it would have been painful.   I just don't get it.  It looks expensive even if $400m was pure profit, not just revenue!!!

• 1 month later...
sancho panza

Worth noting the comments from the EA's ref Rightmove.Looks like the time has come.

https://propertyindustryeye.com/city-analysts-warn-investors-of-signs-of-cracks-at-rightmove/

'However, says Berenberg, “the headline numbers mask what are starting to be worrying underlying trends.

“We had noted at the full-year results in March that a business model so reliant on increasing prices is unsustainable – eventually agents will be forced to either leave the platform or close down. This is exactly what has happened in H1 2019.”

It says that 3% of agents’ branches have parted company with Rightmove in the first six months of this year, with the site itself expecting the trend to continue.

Berenberg says: “Rightmove will need to push through larger price increases on those that remain.”

But, it continues: “In our view, there are structural and competitive concerns for Rightmove, and agents will continue to vote with the feet whether voluntarily or through going out of business.”

Berenberg says it is “not a crazy assumption” to make that the agents who stay on Rightmove will be less receptive than usual to price increases.

Agents are suffering from “numerous” headwinds such as pressure on commission rates, over-supply of agents, and the lettings fee ban.

Berenberg says that Rightmove also now has stronger competitors in both Zoopla and OnTheMarket.

Zoopla now has “materially more firepower at its disposal” after its acquisition by Silver Lake, while OTM seems to represent the whole of the property market while charging far less than Rightmove.

Berenberg believes Rightmove’s valuation “does not reflect the difficulties that its estate and letting agents are experiencing and the impact this could have on Rightmove’s near and medium term growth”.

Berenberg repeated its price target of 420p for Rightmove’s shares, which yesterday closed at 528p.'

image.png.70f8db7bc8763e4ad20921d8349fd844.png

image.png.74b1f5ce751e1c8c234376e4e990fb3a.png

• GPL

Rightmove’s towering arrogance/disdain towards its paying Subscribers is finally rewarded!

Not RIP Rightmove yet, however it is RTP Rightmove – Rightmove’s Tipping Point.

(0)(1)
      1. Philip Norgan

You’re absolutely right – it’s sheer arrogance that will define their fall.

(0)(0)
    • J1

Improve your service RM and lower your fees

(0)(1)
    • Moveaside01

Every Mutt has its day…..

Anyone remember Nokia and Blockbuster?

#bitethehandthatfeedsyou

(0)(1)
      1. Philip Norgan

Woolworths, BHS, Carillion, The Titanic, Blackberry, the list is endless. All too big to fail.

(0)(0)
    • Chris Wood

The beginning of the end.

(0)(0)
    • Agent Derbyshire

This is good….very good.

Let’s all do our bit now and get rid of those silly banner and premium listing extras which mean nothing to your clients and you know that even “in the scheme of things” the extra £300 paid per month is a complete waste of money……the tide is beginning to turn people!

(0)(0)
      1. Philip Norgan

The tide has turned. 3% in 6 months. How much by year end? 

(0)(0)
    • The Outsider

This time last year, Berenberg put out the same message and cut cuts price target for Rightmove to 410p.

At the start of April THIS YEAR, they were promoting a BUY on Purplebricks shares at 470p and at the same time were also promoting Countrywide at 95p.  These shares were about 125p and 7.5p respectively at the time.

These buffoons are probably the least respected big firm in the city, so don’t expect a big RM crash off the back of this.

(0)(0)
      1. GPL

TheOutsider…  

”don’t expect a big RM crash off the back of this”

No, we don’t.

It’s Rightmove continuing to shaft Estate Agents & Letting Agents that will cause it to smack into a wall!    

(0)(0)
        1. The Outsider

It hasn’t for the last 10 years.  What is going to change now? 

(0)(0)
          1. GPL

Ok, I’ll briefly engage….

A few examples –

Consider the prices of “Concerts” that have escalated (think Ticketmaster?) to a point where people that used to go, don’t, because it’s too expensive ie. they don’t like being ripped off

Think car servicing – people that used to take their car to the dealer for servicing, don’t because it’s too expensive ie. they don’t like being ripped off

From my past “Police” profession – the partner that suffers “abuse” up to breaking point, then they finally leave (sadly I dealt with a number of those) …..a very sad example of a “breaking point” however  everyone has a breaking point – and in this case, Rightmove, it is a “Commercial Breaking Point”.

Contrast “value/service/breaking point etc” with my motorcycle dealer scenario….. I make a 400 mile round trip to North England from Scotland because the service is excellent, the price fair, and they look after me/demonstrate positively that they want to keep me as a customer …..yet it costs me more to go there and stay overnight, but I’m happy to pay it.

Must dash now, as work to do.

(0)(0)
            1. The Outsider

Jeez these are weak arguments.

Live music event attendances are up and rising (they cost more, but people still go).

You are seriously comparing an estate agents relationship with rightmove to a domestic abuse sufferer?  That’s ridiculously incorrect, disgusting and comparisons like that dont prove a point and only do more harm to publicising how real and devastating domestic abuse situations are.  There is no control with Rightmove.  An agent is free to leave whenever they like.  It’s a business, not a violent relationship.

Great. You have a trustworthy mechanic.  Again, there is no point here.

(0)(0)
              1. Property Pundit

There is no control with Rightmove.  An agent is free to leave whenever they like. ‘

Just in case there was any doubt that ‘The Outsider’ is indeed outside estate agency.

(0)(0)
              2. GPL

You’re right The Outsider, there is no point, so just do the decent thing, bend over, look upwards and see if you can see the clouds through the opening.

I can’t give you the ability to interact/interpret intelligently, you’ll just need to try and find something that will help you on eBay ……..then bid for it!

When you can hold an intelligent interaction with me, come aboard, in the meantime, you’ll find the play zone with the soft coloured balls down the corridor on the left.

(0)(0)
    • M Barnard

Posted this yesterday but just in case it was missed…
      Back in Jan 2014, 9% of Estate Agents were spending over £1k per month on Rightmove.
      Move forward to June 2019 & 61% now spend more than £1k per month.
      25% actually spend more than £1.5k per month!
      Has the value of their ‘offer’ kept pace with their pricing?

(0)(0)
    • smile please

With so much profit generated from turnover this is just a little fly in the ointment to them.

Sadly until there is a sustained level of agents leaving it wil not effect RM, oKAY 4-5% of agents leave, with 10% rate increases per annum RM are still ahead of the curve.

OTM and Z are not the answer, they just want to replace RM and want to charge like them. I dont know what the answer is but i hope its coming soon!

(0)(0)
      1. GPL

Agreed smile please

Investing more time/energy/effort (where the online aspect features) on our own company websites, directing people there, rather than taking them to the “usual suspects” 1st. 

(0)(0)
        1. smile please

The vast majority of agents have got fat and lazy off Rightmove.
          There is now far less interactions and meaningful meetings and telephone conversations because of portals. And the portals are encouraging this buy reducing the number of leads.
          The portals want to be the ‘King Makers’.
          The more forward thinking agents are embrassing service from the early 2000’s and before. Proper call outs, inticing people to the office, reports with comparable evidence that has sold not listed.
          Its a tougher market for sure but the oportunities are better than they have been for a long time.
          We just need to kick the portals into touch. 

(0)(0)
        2. surrey1

Having culled all the RM extras (and some printed media) we’ve diverted the money into our own digital/social media and a year in it’s already starting to compete with RM as a lead generator.

(0)(0)
          1. smile please

Ditto.
            Basic subscription, out of all press, cut out all the ‘Prop tech’ that has not shown a return. Invested more in staff and our own lead generation.

(0)(0)
            1. GPL

I increased my local marketing heavily this year and have reaped the rewards.

Rightmove is no substitute for targeted local marketing.

The old fashioned ways of estate agency never went out of fashion, we were just guilty at times of being sucked into the virtual world.

Rightmove is going the way of the Newspapers, a less effective tool for estate agents, particularly as RM spends such a large proportion of it’s time NOT listening to/serving its Subscribers …….the vast majority of its time spent shouting/marketing how useful IT is …..when it actually ISN’T.

The latest Rightmove “Protectionism” changes only serve to underline that it is “Rightmove 1st! – Subscribers Last!”

Share price means NOTHING to RM Subscribers – as Subscribers actually want a fairly priced/effective service, however that ship sailed a long time ago ……and Rightmove left their paying Subscribers high & dry.

(0)(0)
    • Philip Norgan

WOW! Who saw this coming? 12% proce hike in January 2019, lose 3% of your customers, so send out 15% interim price hikes in July 2019.

As it’s been said, it is their sheer arrogance and “we’re Rightmove, we don’t negotiate” that will be their downfall. They are, in my humble opinion, not the NO.1 property portal they claim to be but, simply, a property referencing service.

The quality of the enquiries (not leads) is abominably poor and their wholesale attitude towards their customers is abhorrent.

as one client said to me on Monday, when Rightmove goes people won’t stop buying or renting properties, they will just use other platforms. The market is not dependant on Rightmove.

Take Berenberg’s and UBS advice and sell your shares because they will only continue to fall.

(0)(0)
    • Mothers Ruin

They’ll carry on filling the cracks with decorators caulk until it’s too late. I was livid about the lack of Rightmove Plus yesterday just when I needed it the most. Even the general public are becoming aware of the fact that they are truly despised by their subscribers. I won’t use their referencing Company out of spite because I just can’t bear to line their coffers any more.

(0)(0)
    • Spare Room

It’s no surprise that there is fear of leaving Rightmove. In truth, its not actually the leads that will be missed, as these are getting far fewer and in many cases  of poorer quality. Its the fear of what others in the profession will say, do and highlight to vendors. Now, there is an argument to say that we should all have confidence in our product and service, if you don’t, you should look at why! However, if we as a profession keep knocking those that leave because we see it as a competitive advantage, then none of us will ever get off the bus. Iv’e spoken to many of my fellow local agencies over the past few years and the one common gripe is Rightmove, however not one of us will walk away in fear of how it will get used against us. Hence the cycle continues. I’m sure one day we will all grow a big enough pair to just say No More! But until then…

(0)(0)
      1. Budgie boy

100% correct. We list with Rightmove and they do not provide value for money at all. I’m ashamed to say that, I only list with them, because my “corporate” competitors will use that fact to absolutely destroy me. Rightmove know this and capitalise on it. We sell 75-80% of our properties through actively utilising our data base and local knowledge. A large % of our “portal leads” are supplied by Zoopla, I don’t think we need more than one portal, let alone three.

(0)(0)
    • davidjabbari

This may be why they are looking at becoming a conveyancing platform, in terms of additional income. The problem is that this cuts further into their subscribers’ income. Also, they are not well placed, in terms of the sales lifecyle, to sell conveyancing. They would be a good source of leads though. David Jabbari, CEO, Muve.

(0)(0)
    • HIT MAN

RMEXIT is the 31st October 2019 everyone is handing notice in September and leaving RM

(0)(0)
    • Chris Jai-Bahadur

If they continue to lose market share they will certainly increase prices or do what they do in Europe allow the general public to market direct on the portal prior to that happening they will launch a huge marketing campaign to encourage home owners to come on board.

image.png

• 3 weeks later...

Another one to add to this list:

'WeWork' - an office sub-leasing company that is planning on going public with an IPO valuation of...........$50 billion - even though it predicts it'll LOSE $2 billion this year.

Absolute nonsense. The Uber/Tesla of office space.

• Agree 1

Democorruptcy
53 minutes ago, azzuri82 said:

Another one to add to this list:

'WeWork' - an office sub-leasing company that is planning on going public with an IPO valuation of...........$50 billion - even though it predicts it'll LOSE $2 billion this year.

Absolute nonsense. The Uber/Tesla of office space.

I got chatting to a Uber driver today and asked him what he thought about it. He said it was superb and taken him off the scrapheap with a few years before retirement. He started with a small car but a fellow Uber driver advised him to get something bigger. He said since he got a big people carrier the phone had never stopped ringing. He said Uber take 25% of his fares.

• 3 months later...

FRASERS GRP performance chart

I have finally done it!  Entered my first short for sports direct at £4.77 yesterday.  Via CFD section of Trading 212 app. 

Tiny position, only 40 shares.  1:5 leverage, so it required £40 deposit or so. I have actually overfunded with £100, out of fear of margin calls.

Set the limit to take profit at £4.50.  May hit that today.  Not too adventurous, as I want my first venture into shorting to be a positive experience )

Edited by Bear Hug

2 hours ago, Bear Hug said:

FRASERS GRP performance chart

I have finally done it!  Entered my first short for sports direct at £4.77 yesterday.  Via CFD section of Trading 212 app. 

Tiny position, only 40 shares.  1:5 leverage, so it required £40 deposit or so. I have actually overfunded with £100, out of fear of margin calls.

Set the limit to take profit at £4.50.  May hit that today.  Not too adventurous, as I want my first venture into shorting to be a positive experience )

Cashed out, made £11 on £40 deposited.  They are still going down, last trade £4.43

• Agree 2
  • Informative 1

On 19/08/2019 at 18:33, Democorruptcy said:

I got chatting to a Uber driver today and asked him what he thought about it. He said it was superb and taken him off the scrapheap with a few years before retirement. He started with a small car but a fellow Uber driver advised him to get something bigger. He said since he got a big people carrier the phone had never stopped ringing. He said Uber take 25% of his fares.

Did the driver mention how he funded his vehicle purchases?

12 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

Thanks.  Already started watching earlier, from the main thread!  I don't contribute there much but do read all of it

2 hours ago, sancho panza said:

Finally watched all of it.  I am so going to short 1 share of Tesla! 

But very happy that I didn't watch this interview when it first came out on Nov 21st, as Tesla shares are over 10% up since then!

Do worry it will rise by another 50%, but guess that's when I'll short another one?

Talking Monkey
38 minutes ago, Bear Hug said:

But very happy that I didn't watch this interview when it first came out on Nov 21st, as Tesla shares are over 10% up since then!

Do worry it will rise by another 50%, but guess that's when I'll short another one?

Tesla share price is insane its like dotcom madness all over again, same for netflix

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Bear Hug said:

That's what I thought.I've had some success on this stock last year but been burned over the last two weeks.

Thing with shorting is to plan your trades and trade your plan.

When you're in the compoany of people likeChanos,it can make you a little cavalier as you've alluded.

Then you look at Apple and google and think of all the shirts that have been lost on them.

10 hours ago, Talking Monkey said:

Tesla share price is insane its like dotcom madness all over again, same for netflix

Yeah it's currently near $400.

I liked what Chanos had to say about picking companies with structural issues.There's been talk of TSLA and Netflix since this thread started.Sell the rallies.......

2 hours ago, sancho panza said:

That's what I thought.I've had some success on this stock last year but been burned over the last two weeks.

Thing with shorting is to plan your trades and trade your plan.

When you're in the compoany of people likeChanos,it can make you a little cavalier as you've alluded.

Then you look at Apple and google and think of all the shirts that have been lost on them.

Yeah it's currently near $400.

I liked what Chanos had to say about picking companies with structural issues.There's been talk of TSLA and Netflix since this thread started.Sell the rallies.......

watching it today - too scared to commit.  may be there is some anchoring effect going on around that made up $420 going private value.  

22 minutes ago, Bear Hug said:

watching it today - too scared to commit.  may be there is some anchoring effect going on around that made up $420 going private value.  

Who knows....it's a share with a lot of volatility and a lot of momo players behind it

Incredible recent run

https://www.investing.com/equities/tesla-motors

image.png.b4d6f8cf479273d01325c0bebc4fc818.png

image.png.700f2a46bfd4a0994035942411b11350.png

image.png.ffbdbc5dd15684925c0fa6776497b54d.png