• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Cunning Plan

New taxes

So no one likes taxes going up but I think it is a given that some will.

But perhaps we can think of some new things to tax rather than upping the existing rates.

I would create a new tax on chewing gum.

I would also tax to death those 'microwaveable burger' things you see in supermarkets that have bun, burger etc all in one plastic box.

I would add vat to ready grated cheese because anyone that buys it has more money than sense anyway.

Anyone want to chip in?

4 minutes ago, This Time said:

Grated cheese isn't any more expensive than block cheese.

Really?  Sainsburys mature cheddar block - £5.50 / kg. Grated - £7.00 / kg

And it won't last half so long either.

Edited by Cunning Plan

4 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Image for Rustlers Cheese Burger 162g from Sainsbury'sAnd this is the offending burger thing I mentioned.

Feck right off with that one :PissedOff:

So, exactly how big is your mansion?  9_9

agree with the burger, salmonella in a box.  

Just now, One percent said:

So, exactly how big is your mansion?

It's a rental. Sort of two houses joined together but half of it is my office / production zone. But I do have an en-suite jacuzzi to my office :)

Just now, Cunning Plan said:

It's a rental. Sort of two houses joined together but half of it is my office / production zone. But I do have an en-suite jacuzzi to my office :)

Ah, you are ok then, property tax on large houses to be paid by the owner and not the renter.

are you not worried about your paperwork getting wet?  Also, try not to be tempted to do this

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39307418

o.O

16 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Really?  Sainsburys mature cheddar block - £5.50 / kg. Grated - £7.00 / kg

And it won't last half so long either.

One size of the grated stuff is always on offer though so it end up being six quid or less.

3 minutes ago, This Time said:

One size of the grated stuff is always on offer though so it end up being six quid or less.

OK - I can see I have touched a raw nerve. Grated cheese gets an exemption. For now.

Can't fault the chewing gum suggestion.

I'd tax non returnable bottles and containers, unsecured credit, patio heaters, car lease plans, personal car number plates (annually), any haircare or personal grooming product advertised as 'new or improved', tatoos, piercings, ready meals and anything advertised as fat free.

I would tax air space in containers for food and other goods such as washing powder etc, when the space serves no protective purpose.

Air space increases packaging which increases transport costs, waste and pollution

Edited by Hopeful

1 minute ago, Cunning Plan said:

OK - I can see I have touched a raw nerve. Grated cheese gets an exemption. For now.

You kind of have actually. I've got a chronic illness so using stuff like frozen onions and grated cheese are the only way I can approximate making a meal from scratch these days. I used to think nothing of spending a couple of hours in the kitchen but I'm limited to less than ten minutes at a time now.

2 minutes ago, This Time said:

I've got a chronic illness so using stuff like frozen onions and grated cheese

Sorry to hear that - apologies if offence caused.

Though the way some people seem to work, perhaps you could get them on free prescription?

4 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Sorry to hear that - apologies if offence caused.

Though the way some people seem to work, perhaps you could get them on free prescription?

They seem to be stopping some of the more ridiculous prescription items. Hoping to get PIP but my current diagnosis is CFS which is a scammers' favourite. What I really want though is for someone to read the bloody NICE guidelines and admit that I have Lyme disease.

6 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

I'd tax those eastern European deli shops to make up for the lost billions their clientele are sending home and not paying here. 

The government would just up the foreign aid budget and send the money that way.

1 hour ago, One percent said:

Owning horses, houses with more than four bedrooms or one bath, yachts and pleasure cruisers,.  I'll come back when I have thought of any more things the rich own

Well, they won't be taking up any of your suggestions then -- Any tax increases will hit the middle square in the chest.  

I do think they'll increase VAT again at some point.  Target would be 22-23%.

But, I do think they'll introduce a tax-deductability (at source) for all interest payments (not just mortgages).  Probably limited to base-rate.  I had understood it would have been earmarked for 2018 budget if it was to be taken up -- just in time for the early tax rebates to influence the 2020 elections, but that's been buggered up.  2022 would be too late as interest rates would be rising at that point and people would be cross.  Still, maybe around 2020.

3 minutes ago, Malthus said:

Stupidity 

The trouble with taxing the stupid is that they fill in their tax returns incorrectly and don't pay up anyway.

Drones, tax them - effing annoying things. Can't agree to a tax on excess bathrooms - we have 3 and 5 loos. The cats have their own, unless they get a personal tax allowance they shouldn't be penalised.

I'd scrap income taxes and tax robots instead. I'd also put a tariff on imported goods and set up up a land value tax. The City would hate it but the resulting economic and asset crash would level the playing field for ordinary workers. 

4 hours ago, Cunning Plan said:

I would add vat to ready grated cheese because anyone that buys it has more money than sense anyway.

Up until a few years ago I would have agreed, but I can't grate cheese cos of my dodgy elbow. Well I can but then I'm in agony for a few days and tbh I'd rather someone else did the hard work for me. 
And the grater thing on the processor takes up half the dishwasher on its own