• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

We last used Go Outdoors

To buy a small hob thing and the gas canisters.

Actually we still have that in case of power cuts.

I thought there were different canister sizes for different things?

Depends how often you use it and what for!

Gas lights or single burner stove for camping/power-cuts then standard canisters are OK and available from stores such as Go Outdoors.

If you're running a larger stove, regularly camping and will be using a vehicle to carry it then a 4.5 Kg butane cylinder is the most economical but if you want to use it outdoors in winter then 3.9 Kg propane will be best.

It is actually an interesting dynamic.

In the olden days it was quite complex -- you had to work out how:

• How much weight you'd cope with (light stuff more expensive)
  • How much you need to cook (larger hobs more expensive)
  • How important it was to buy gas while on hols
  • And, most important of all, how much you'd realistically use (larger bottles way cheaper for gas, but very expensive bottle deposit).

The main problem being -- how do you know the answer to the questions before you'd gained enough experience to know the answer to the questions?

But these days it is actually (IMO) simple for anyone who 'doesn't know the answer to those questions'.  Get the cheap and nasty pressed steel stoves:

big_70c9f804b29f44edbcba32bc07ffa10c.jpg

And a pile of the butane canisters:

big_857333d3-fef4-4d2f-95bd-042f875cd92c

They're not brilliantly made, not the very cheapest gas, but:

• They actually work really well
  • They cost next to nothing
  • If it goes wrong you can get a replacement cooker anywhere 
  • If you need more cooking ability get another hob (you can get double ones, but they're a bit more expensive)
  • You can get the gas anywhere

If you've got specific requirements then you've got to go elsewhere -- you want to use a lot of gas, you need it lightweight, you're going to be using the thing every weekend, etc...  But for the 'normal' guy wondering wtf the cheap stuff is a great way to learn without breaking the bank.

2 minutes ago, One percent said:

Is this for the dosbods meet up?  Superb. :)

Can  you imagine the shock of finding out what everyone is actually like as opposed to you "picture" of them based on there postings on the site.

A bit like the pictures on dating sites compared to reality.

To put the costs into perspective, the smaller (well, at least several kg) refillable gas cylinders cost about £3 per kg of gas to refill (there is also the bottle deposit, but ignoring that), while the cheapo butane cylinders can be got for about £6 per kg.  The other small camping gas bottles cost about £10 per kg.

3 minutes ago, Inoperational Bumblebee said:

If you've got one like @dgul has posted above, check out the pound shops as I got four canisters for a quid.

If they're the standard 220g per bottle that's cheaper than large bottled gas refills.  

[well, 47kg refill will be about £60, so £1.20 per kg.  4x220g is 880g, so about £1.10 per kg.  Amazing]

[I'd be scared that they'd not hold the 220g, but these things are standard, so chances are they would]

It is another example of 'made in absolutely massive quantities' completely rearranging the price dynamic.

19 minutes ago, dgul said:

If you've got specific requirements then you've got to go elsewhere -- you want to use a lot of gas, you need it lightweight, you're going to be using the thing every weekend, etc...  But for the 'normal' guy wondering wtf the cheap stuff is a great way to learn without breaking the bank.

That's the thing (the photo you posted)

Actually, if anything I thought it less tricky working out how we're going to cook stuff - the stove thing takes care of that - and more tricky working out what you can and can't get away with cooking on it so as to adapt that last supermarket shop before heading off to be able to have stuff that people want to eat and which is practical to cook.

18 minutes ago, Inoperational Bumblebee said:

Buying eight was massive overkill...

Worth every penny of my inflated transfer fee.

BTW, IMO everyone not on mains gas should get one of those cheapy stoves and a few gas cylinders.  For £20 you have the perfect emergency cooker for the occasional power cuts.  

1 minute ago, dgul said:

BTW, IMO everyone not on mains gas should get one of those cheapy stoves and a few gas cylinders.  For £20 you have the perfect emergency cooker for the occasional power cuts.  

I would just power up the induction hob using batteries scavenged from all the remote controls in the house. Genius, or what?!

3 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

In need of some camping gas, where is best to get it and what cylinder size/gas type is best ?

All info welcome.

'Camping Gas' is the name of a firm, so you have a bit of confusion in your query.

It depends on what sort of stove you are going to use.

Those small ones shown above are just fine.

If on the other hand you are using a proper 2 burner and grill type of stove in a campervan you really have only two choices.

Camping Gas cylinder 6 lb. size or Calor Gas cylinder at 10 lb. size.

Now both companies an others offer different sizes of cylinder, I have just indicated the most popular.

The gas in them will be butane, but Calor also offer Propane for use in cold weather because Butane will not volatilise in the cold.

47 minutes ago, Byron said:

'Camping Gas' is the name of a firm, so you have a bit of confusion in your query.

It depends on what sort of stove you are going to use.

Those small ones shown above are just fine.

If on the other hand you are using a proper 2 burner and grill type of stove in a campervan you really have only two choices.

Camping Gas cylinder 6 lb. size or Calor Gas cylinder at 10 lb. size.

Now both companies an others offer different sizes of cylinder, I have just indicated the most popular.

The gas in them will be butane, but Calor also offer Propane for use in cold weather because Butane will not volatilise in the cold.

CampingGaz is the name of a firm.

Camping Gas is the gas you use when camping.

You have a lot of confusion in your reply but thanks for the input.  

Is there any difference buring propane or butane other than the temp thing, more calories ?

Have you thought about getting a petrol stove? Then you can go nato style 'one fuel' with your car should there ever be a post-apocalyptic zombie takeover of the planet. 

I bought a soviet style petrol stove and can confirm that it is very effective at singeing eyebrows if a little mediocre at cooking egg and bacon. 

6 minutes ago, whitevanman said:

Have you thought about getting a petrol stove? Then you can go nato style 'one fuel' with your car should there ever be a post-apocalyptic zombie takeover of the planet. 

I bought a soviet style petrol stove and can confirm that it is very effective at singeing eyebrows if a little mediocre at cooking egg and bacon. 

Personally, I love the smell of napalm in the morning.

5 hours ago, Inoperational Bumblebee said:

If you've got one like @dgul has posted above, check out the pound shops as I got four canisters for a quid.

Was that recently?

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, whitevanman said:

Hadnt even heard of such an item until you mentioned them !!!

https://www.anglingdirect.co.uk/coleman-sportster-11?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwOHe3Pbk2wIVLbvtCh1uzw37EAQYASABEgIHm_D_BwE

Already got a stoves, a double gas burner and 1 simple  CampingGaz style one.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

1 hour ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Is there any difference buring propane or butane other than the temp thing, more calories ?

Propane runs at a higher pressure so will need a different regulator. Bear in mind that using gas will actually cool the gas in the bottle as it boils off. I'd use propane if possible.
I love petrol stoves too, if you're looking for a small portable one for camping rather than buying gas for one you already have.

25 minutes ago, SNACR said:

Was that recently?

Last year I think? Definitely not earlier than 2016 though. It was Poundworld in Capital Centre in Cardiff City Centre.

Posted (edited)

Four of those cannisters for a quid is a stonking bargain, I reckon I'm doing well when I find four for a fiver. Must have been a clearance offer.

I thought I'd had a touch recently when Aldi had two cannisters for two quid but they turned out to be a slightly different design, the screw top ones that are for small blowtorches and weed burners. I could still boil a pan of water with my blowtorch I reckon, but it would be a bit more of a faff.

Edit: I actually found a 13kg butane bottle dumped in the street a while ago, gave it a shake and it still had some gas in it, and a regulator on the top! When my old bottle of Patio Gas runs out I'll see if I can get some free barbecuing out of it.

Edited by Rave

Posted (edited)

Recent cost is £1.20-£1.90 pack of four direct from the manufacturer in Korea. One possible answer to the question of why Poundworld went into administration.

Some festivals ban gas stoves so those awful solid fuel burners sell surprisingly well. TBH not sure I could be arsed fucking around with one of those trying to cook beans half pissed.

Edited by SNACR