• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

eek

Would you buy a hair transplant from this man

Posted (edited)

I'm an expert in hair transplants, as I've been neurotic about my own hair loss for the past decade.

The transplant industry has actually gone backwards the last 5 or so years, as more and more clinics with questionable ethics have sprung up, so you have to be extra careful to find someone who isn't going to make you look like a freak.

For example, the hairline on that man is too low and straight IMO; it's the hairline of a 13 year old boy and will look ridiculous as the man ages - most men who don't actually lose their hair, still have what's called a 'mature' hairline that usually forms at some point in their 20's.

Here's an example of a more conservative approach to hairline placement, a hairline that should last a lifetime and will be easier to 'top up' with further transplants down the line if hair-loss progresses - notice the recession, but it's enough hair for the guy not to look 'bald' any more:

Edited by JoeDavola

I might have imagined this but I thought I read about two years ago that we could now cure baldness?

But then I don't know whether that means that we can stop people going bald, or, if we can get them to regrow the hair they used to have from the now dormant follicles.

With the "take the hair off your arse and put it on your head" style of transplant I've always assumed that people will have it done once, maybe twice, before giving up on it thanks to the level of inconvenience and cost of having to keep repeating it. It suits younger people who have "gone bald before their time".

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, DTMark said:

I might have imagined this but I thought I read about two years ago that we could now cure baldness?

But then I don't know whether that means that we can stop people going bald, or, if we can get them to regrow the hair they used to have from the now dormant follicles.

With the "take the hair off your arse and put it on your head" style of transplant I've always assumed that people will have it done once, maybe twice, before giving up on it thanks to the level of inconvenience and cost of having to keep repeating it. It suits younger people who have "gone bald before their time".

Nope - not cure yet.

You are correct that those who have transplants often have to have more than one in a given area to achieve the density that they're after.

But the big danger is that as you get older, the rest of the hair thins (which is actually the most likely scenario), while the transplanted hair stays, which gives you the result seen in the left of this photo. I'm sure we can agree that a shaved head is better than that. And several thousand pounds cheaper.

image.png.6d495c709fc0caf9ec6b9fec7b1c1e29.png

Edited by JoeDavola

7 minutes ago, Austin Allegro said:

He should have just got his tattoo shop to draw some hair on his head, it would probably look more realistic.

I dread to think what he'll look like when he's 60. 

Right now, it looks like he's had a cap fitted by The Tripods.

Sorry, it's an obscure sci-fi reference. Oddly enough Google has no pictures of those scenes from the series.

^ HTT That's creepy.

4 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

I'm sure we can agree that a shaved head is better than that. And several thousand pounds cheaper.

It suits some people really well. However it tends to make me look like I've just finished a course of chemotherapy.

3 minutes ago, DTMark said:

Right now, it looks like he's had a cap fitted by The Tripods.

Sorry, it's an obscure sci-fi reference. Oddly enough Google has no pictures of those scenes from the series.

^ HTT That's creepy.

The tripods series was full of homoerotic undertones, i too note there is very little existence left othe series online. 

Just now, DTMark said:

It suits some people really well. However it tends to make me look like I've just finished a course of chemotherapy.

Yes it's not the best look for pale skinned, slimly built British men such as myself. I try to go for the 'Jason Statham' or 'half bald' look of a grade 1.5 or 2 which doesn't look so bad. 

That said, I prefer it to the alternatives which are a. a combover - tried it and it looked ok when it was all neatly combed in place but no gel or spray was strong enough to hold the bloody thing in place for more than five minutes, b. a wig - not exactly an option when swimming is one of my favourite activities, c. a hair transplant - ££££s spent in a dodgy Turkish clinic on a surgical procedure which could go wrong and leave scarring and which requires propecia to be taken for the rest of my life. 

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, DTMark said:

Me too. I'm a naturally skinny person and a shaved head would make me look like fucking Nosferatu. I have various plans in place to try and have hair for as long as possible, because of how appalling I'd look clean shaved. But even a shaved head is better than a botched transplant, with a few pubic-looking hairs sticking out of an otherwise clean scalp.

image.thumb.png.24c365ae93089062673e10a3bc83d5f6.png

Edited by JoeDavola

Posted (edited)
34 minutes ago, eek said:

I mean this must be one of the worst adverts of all time...

DgDnzBFXkAA_huq.jpg

https://twitter.com/EstevienClinic/status/1009520614053425153

Stevian is compensating with bodybuilding to make up for his total lack of self esteem.

N.B most blokes in the weights room are compensating for something, usually you can spot it

short arse / no chin / balding / goofy teeth / wingnut ears etc etc 

Edited by WorkingPoor

Just now, Austin Allegro said:

Yes it's not the best look for pale skinned, slimly built British men such as myself. I try to go for the 'Jason Statham' or 'half bald' look of a grade 1.5 or 2 which doesn't look so bad. 

That said, I prefer it to the alternatives which are a. a combover - tried it and it looked ok when it was all neatly combed in place but no gel or spray was strong enough to hold the bloody thing in place for more than five minutes, b. a wig - not exactly an option when swimming is one of my favourite activities, c. a hair transplant - ££££s spent in a dodgy Turkish clinic on a surgical procedure which could go wrong and leave scarring and which requires propecia to be taken for the rest of my life. 

Just now, WorkingPoor said:

The tripods series was full of homoerotic undertones, i too note there is very little existence left othe series online. 

The whole lot are up for free on YouTube, or at least they were last year. And Chocky too  (written by John Wyndham) if you like old BBC sci-fi.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, WorkingPoor said:

Stevian is compensating with bodybuilding to make up for his total lack of self esteem.

N.B most blokes in the weights room are compensating for something, usually you can spot it

short arse / no chin / balding / wingnut ears etc etc 

As a bloke with no chin, and not quite as much hair as I'd like (thankfully I'm tall), I agree.

Bloated, tatted up, child-like hairline - all screams try hard.

And in my 34 years, I've never known a bloke who was really successful with women who was a weightlifting fanatic. I've known a few who were obsessed with weights who women didn't go anywhere near as they were essentially boring people.

EDIT: I noticed you added goofy teeth - guilty on that count too. Christ my self-esteem's taking a battering today...

Edited by JoeDavola

4 minutes ago, WorkingPoor said:

short arse / no chin / balding / goofy teeth / wingnut ears etc etc 

I note you said most. That I agree with, as I am the exception to the rule, eg I'm perfect.

24 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

I'm an expert in hair transplants, as I've been neurotic about my own hair loss for the past decade.

The transplant industry has actually gone backwards the last 5 or so years, as more and more clinics with questionable ethics have sprung up, so you have to be extra careful to find someone who isn't going to make you look like a freak.

For example, the hairline on that man is too low and straight IMO; it's the hairline of a 13 year old boy and will look ridiculous as the man ages - most men who don't actually lose their hair, still have what's called a 'mature' hairline that usually forms at some point in their 20's.

Here's an example of a more conservative approach to hairline placement, a hairline that should last a lifetime and will be easier to 'top up' with further transplants down the line if hair-loss progresses - notice the recession, but it's enough hair for the guy not to look 'bald' any more:

Isn't that Toby Anstis?

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

I note you said most. That I agree with, as I am the exception to the rule, eg I'm perfect.

Isn't that Toby Anstis?

You must be compensating for something? no one lifts weights without a motive or driver, because everyone knows it's like working and not getting paid xD

Edited by WorkingPoor

1 minute ago, whocares said:

That's terrible. (Remember Bobby Charlton's comb-over?)

Men could get away with combovers in the old days when they all wore hats. However, once hatlessness came in after WW2, and particularly after 1960, it became a risky style to sport in public!

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

As a bloke with no chin, and not quite as much hair as I'd like (thankfully I'm tall), I agree.

Bloated, tatted up, child-like hairline - all screams try hard.

And in my 34 years, I've never known a bloke who was really successful with women who was a weightlifting fanatic. I've known a few who were obsessed with weights who women didn't go anywhere near as they were essentially boring people.

EDIT: I noticed you added goofy teeth - guilty on that count too. Christ my self-esteem's taking a battering today...

Haha yeah i forgot that one, there is usually a visible driver but sometimes it's internal like "used to be a fatty" or "bullied" "inferiority complex" "body dismorphia" etc etc 

apart from a percentage of old malts most women dont like it because it shows your more into yourself than them & they can sniff out overcompensating / desperation a mile off

Edited by WorkingPoor

11 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

Me too. I'm a naturally skinny person and a shaved head would make me look like fucking Nosferatu. I have various plans in place to try and have hair for as long as possible, because of how appalling I'd look clean shaved. But even a shaved head is better than a botched transplant, with a few pubic-looking hairs sticking out of an otherwise clean scalp.

image.thumb.png.24c365ae93089062673e10a3bc83d5f6.png

Have you actually tried it, or this is just in your head, how you'd look?

You may be imagining it as worse than it is.  Be brave and do it, and ask a friendly woman or two how you look, or better still, don't care - that will look better than anything else as it will afffect the way you carry yourself and act. If it's no good it'll grow back really quickly. The chances of looking a complete tool with hair transplants is so high I don't believe they're worth it. 

My stubble is getting shorter and shorter, down to a .5 on the sides/back and 1-2 of what remains on top, and I regret not doing it earlier, will probably go for the shave for my surf trip in November. 

4 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Have you actually tried it, or this is just in your head, how you'd look?

You may be imagining it as worse than it is.  Be brave and do it, and ask a friendly woman or two how you look, or better still, don't care - that will look better than anything else as it will afffect the way you carry yourself and act. If it's no good it'll grow back really quickly. The chances of looking a complete tool with hair transplants is so high I don't believe they're worth it. 

My stubble is getting shorter and shorter, down to a .5 on the sides/back and 1-2 of what remains on top, and I regret not doing it earlier, will probably go for the shave for my surf trip in November. 

what he said ^