• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

The big event

From FB.

This year The Big Event is taking place at an exciting new venue, the NEC, Birmingham. Come along to our flagship event to see the UK's largest display of vehicles for disabled people and discover everything you need to know about worry-free motoring with the Motability Scheme. It's free to attend, with free parking and everyone's welcome!

The Big Event brings together everything available on the Motability Scheme to make joining the Scheme as easy as possible. It's free to attend and a great day out for the whole family. There will be:

- Over 135 cars, Wheelchair Accessible Vehicles (WAVs) and adaptations on display
- The opportunity to test drive adapted and non-adapted cars
- Motability Scheme advisors available to chat to
- Free parking, free tea, coffee or soft drink
- A children’s play area including a bouncy castle and more...

For more details, visit www.motability.co.uk/thebigevent

Whenever I go to an event at the NEC they charge me £12 to park for the privilege of attending a paid for event. First one I've come across that's FREE the rest of us are probably paying for it in some way like a grant or a dividend from the taxpayer. 

In keeping with the expectation of a lot of motability car users. The event is free, parking, tea, coffee, soft drinks too....someone else is paying for it!

For the record I don’t have a problem with seriously disabled people down on their luck being provided with a vehicle for themselves or a child.

However I do object to this event and the motability scheme in general where people can choose from top of the range cars paid for by someone else!

ive had 3 brand new cars from it but had a valid reason,he died at 11 so thats a pretty valid excuse that something was up with him.one of the stepsons has just blagged a brand new tuscon because he has copd,theres not much up with him he has just finished my xs garden he was busy with a chainsaw when i nipped around to drop one of my kids birthday cards off.he also likes horse rideing they have 2 of the fkers unbelievably.

Judging by the state that many of the cars are returned to Motability the keepers have ever had to pay for anything.

The whole Motability charity is a little dubious to say the least and really is a way for those that are not paying for it i.e manufacturers, banks, main agents etc to make out like bandits while the taxpayer funds it. Sounds familiar doesn't it.

Tory MP Mills said that Motability Operations Plc, which is owned by banks Lloyds, Barclays, HSBC and RBS, should charge disabled motorists less for their cars, adding that: “Paying the directors hefty wages 11 times what the Prime Minister gets is outrageous.”

They currently have a surplus of £2.4 billion on the books, and round £2 billion a year is paid directly from the Department for Work and Pensions to Motability Operations Ltd.

but on the other hand because he has fk all to do besides er fk about litteraly,he is dad to 3 or 4 kids i cant keep up,he has a dry a sense of humour like me and simply said ive got to do my bit for the white population ,his logic i couldnt argue with sadly....but that doesnt sound good.

11 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

I've owned 2 ex-motability cars secondhand, both in excellent condition.

I expect car manufacturers are in on it, boosting car sales/market share.

We're still on our first one (mainly because wife was looking for a small automatic). Impossibly low mileage when we got it and still going strong 6 years later.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Shaneyson said:

Judging by the state that many of the cars are returned to Motability the keepers have ever had to pay for anything.

The whole Motability charity is a little dubious to say the least and really is a way for those that are not paying for it i.e manufacturers, banks, main agents etc to make out like bandits while the taxpayer funds it. Sounds familiar doesn't it.

They currently have a surplus of £2.4 billion on the books, and round £2 billion a year is paid directly from the Department for Work and Pensions to Motability Operations Ltd.

The last time I looked into it in any detail it looked like the manufacturers, banks and main agents etc were actually running the scheme and indeed directed and probably owned the Motability charity/organisation - as indeed you point out in the bit you quoted. 

I think a lot of charities are run on the same principle.  That's why when the charity buckets appear at the check-out points I think they should take their buckets to the high street bank outlets and ask them for some of the money they stole from us.

Edited by twocents