• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

The Masked Tulip

Charing Cross station closed - man says he has a bomb

Just now, The Masked Tulip said:

Was on the underground bit so not sure how he could be on the tracks. 

No mention of mental health yet from the police.

He must have gone off the rails

Posted (edited)

In trying to be amusing, this made me think of the song "Peace Train" by Cat Stevens or Yusuf Islam

From his Wikipedia page I saw an amusing contradiction, and why he stopped music for ~30 years

While on holiday in Marrakesh, Morocco, Stevens was intrigued by the sound of the Adhan, the Islamic ritual call to prayer, which was explained to him as "music for God". Stevens said, "I thought, music for God? I'd never heard that before – I'd heard of music for money, music for fame, music for personal power, but music for God!"

Following his conversion [to Islam], I[Cat Stevens/Yusuf Islam] abandoned his musical career for nearly three decades. In 2007, he said that when he became a Muslim in 1977, the Imam at his mosque told him that it was fine to continue as a musician, as long as the songs were morally acceptable, but others were saying that "it was all prohibited", and he decided to avoid the question by ceasing to perform.

Edited by Hopeful

Just now, Melchett said:

Why would 'God' make something as beautiful, uplifting and positive as music and then forbid it?

The only answers I can think of is either god (or certainly this interpretation of god) is a fabrication to facilitate social control or god is a total bellend.

I'm no expert on religion however I do seem to recall from a music history course that Christianity certainly used to frown upon any music with any kind of "rhythmic beat" - we're going back hundreds of years here - because it "stirs the emotions" and "may lead you astray" as it were. (Think of that case recently where some people were arrested in some Islamic country for "provocative sexy dancing" or similar).

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Melchett said:

Why would 'God' make something as beautiful, uplifting and positive as music and then forbid it?

The only answers I can think of is either god (or certainly this interpretation of god) is a fabrication to facilitate social control or god is a total bellend.

The Fesitval in the Desert, The great African music festival in Timbuktu, Mali (it was on my bucket list) was banned, along with kids playing footy etc when radical Islam moved in. Good film.

Edited by Hopeful

14 minutes ago, Melchett said:

God is the fabrication, so anything attributed to God, is also a fabrication.

20 minutes ago, snagger said:

God is the fabrication, so anything attributed to God, is also a fabrication.

Become a Pastafarian, they admit it's all made up :ph34r:

Friday is the holiest of Pastafarian holidays and takes place each week. During this High Day Pastafarians are  encouraged to take it easy and, if possible, try to find some sun.

51 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

The Fesitval in the Desert, The great African music festival in Timbuktu, Mali (it was on my bucket list) was banned, along with kids playing footy etc when radical Islam moved in. Good film.

Very good film. 

Posted (edited)

'Twas a mad person.

But then, of course they were mad -- real bomb or fake, you'd have to be mad to do it.

I note that we've had quite a range of 'false alarms' in the last couple of days (Southgate, Mayfair and this) -- each time the police response has been enormous.  Perhaps they know something about the current threat...

Edited by dgul

1 hour ago, Melchett said:

I'm sure I've posted this before.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/london/hi/people_and_places/religion_and_ethics/newsid_8780000/8780567.stm

So another mentally ill lone wolf I take it ... normally the meedja would be all over this if it was a 'gammon' though ...

3 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Was on the underground bit so not sure how he could be on the tracks. 

No mention of mental health yet from the police.

3 hours ago, DTMark said:

I'm no expert on religion however I do seem to recall from a music history course that Christianity certainly used to frown upon any music with any kind of "rhythmic beat" - we're going back hundreds of years here - because it "stirs the emotions" and "may lead you astray" as it were. (Think of that case recently where some people were arrested in some Islamic country for "provocative sexy dancing" or similar).

Careful, it frowned on such music *used within a church*. This is usually misinterpreted by the likes of Stephen Fry who will tell you of a evil Church that banned such music across society. These people should be ashamed of themselves

This is the relevant extract from The Council of Trent

'They shall also banish from churches all those kinds of music, in which, whether by the organ, or in the singing, there is mixed up any thing lascivious or impure; as also all secular actions; vain and therefore profane conversations, all walking about, noise, and clamour, that so the house of God may be seen to be, and may be called, truly a house of prayer'

http://www.thecounciloftrent.com/ch22.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Council_of_Trent

3 hours ago, Option5 said:

Become a Pastafarian, they admit it's all made up :ph34r:

Friday is the holiest of Pastafarian holidays and takes place each week. During this High Day Pastafarians are  encouraged to take it easy and, if possible, try to find some sun.

Some Christians admit it's all made up as well. There's something called the Sea of Faith movement within Christianity that promotes this idea. The theologian Don Cupitt made a good TV series about it about 30 years ago that's available on Youtube.

I find it a bit odd that Cat Stevens had never heard of 'music for God' before. He wasn't always a muzzer, so surely he'd heard a few hymns in his time?

hope my place gets him im geting a bit bored of paranoid schizophnia not caused in any way because of canabis but it does apear that many of our patients did indeed start out on canabis/alchol id love a patient that identifys has a bomb be a bit like angry birds