• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Virgil Caine

In 2010 we stopped getting any older.

Posted (edited)

https://amp.theguardian.com/money/2018/jun/23/state-pension-age

One of my pet topics am afraid but the truth is we won't be living to 100.

In fact the 5 year trend on mortality suggests we might soon start dying younger than people a decade ago.

Still could be worse

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-06-19/russia-raises-retirement-age-above-life-expectancy-40-men

Edited by Virgil Caine

1 hour ago, Virgil Caine said:

In fact the 5 year trend on mortality suggests we might soon start dying younger than people a decade ago.

Still could be worse

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-06-19/russia-raises-retirement-age-above-life-expectancy-40-men

Obesity and lack of exercise in my book...but it's the Guardian so proffer Austerity in the NHS as chief suspect.

I don't really want to live to 100 anyway, if all my friends and family are long dead. I can't think of much worse. As long as I live to a decent age and don't die before my time, or very soon after retirement like my father, then I'll be happy.

1 hour ago, spunko2010 said:

I don't really want to live to 100 anyway, if all my friends and family are long dead. I can't think of much worse. As long as I live to a decent age and don't die before my time, or very soon after retirement like my father, then I'll be happy.

Retirement?

Do you think you will ever retire? I don't.

Posted (edited)

I don't see how the current crop of young fatties will be making it to 70. If they do it'll be a fucking horror show.

If I make it to 75 with decent health I'll be happy enough. If I make it to 80 I'll be thrilled, especially since I was so sick whenever I was born that I wasn't expected to survive.

I don't think medical science will ever be able to sufficiently compensate for the increasingly bad lifestyle choices that people are making and the current culture is encouraging.

Edited by JoeDavola

30 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Retirement?

Do you think you will ever retire? I don't.

I don't really want to retire, at least not right now. I can see myself working a few days a week when/if I get to my 70s just to get out the house.  :D

4 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

I don't really want to retire, at least not right now. I can see myself working a few days a week when/if I get to my 70s just to get out the house.  :D

Don't you work from home?

But yes, my plan is to try and get it down to August-January by the time I am 60 ish.

7 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

I'd like to think I could keep doing programming into my old age and enjoy it, the only issue is the way most commercial software development companies are run would ruin it for me. I'm lucky in that respect that my current job is low stress with realistic deadlines and plenty of autonomy...I couldn't see myself as a 65 year old having to cope with daily scrum meetings with some wanker manager decades younger than me, long working hours and unrealistic deadlines ect...

So here's hoping my current employer sees fit to keep me for the next 30 years or so ;)

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Virgil Caine said:

Still could be worse

Why would anyone want to live to be really old - you are basically just a mind trapped in a decrepit body (and even then you have a high chance of having a demented/alzheimer ridden mind, so not even your own mind anymore). My greatest fear is losing all my long term memories and that is already starting to happen.

Edited by Game_of_Homes

Just now, Game_of_Homes said:

Why would anyone want to live to be really old - you are basically just a mind trapped in a decrepit body (and even then you have a high chance of having a demented/alzheimer infested mind, so not even your own mind anymore). My greatest fear is losing all my long term memories and that is already starting to happen.

Haven't you backed them up into the cloud?

My dad is 85 with a fucked ankle, prostate cancer, a dodgy ticker, and one functioning eye..

He has me to care for him. He's still not enjoying life much.

As things stand, i will be relying on my Ukrainian nurse not bringing her boyfriend round to rob me senseless when i'm 85.

They keep telling me to stop drinking.......bollox.

18 minutes ago, shindigger said:

My dad is 85 with a fucked ankle, prostate cancer, a dodgy ticker, and one functioning eye..

He has me to care for him. He's still not enjoying life much.

As things stand, i will be relying on my Ukrainian nurse not bringing her boyfriend round to rob me senseless when i'm 85.

They keep telling me to stop drinking.......bollox.

It's a scary thought! Growing old, but worse growing old alone. Heaven help you if you get or weak or lose your faculties. Things were a bit different when neighbours could look in on neighbours. There a going to be a lot of lonely old souls ripe for taking advantage of.

2 hours ago, JoeDavola said:

with some wanker manager

This is what turns people who enjoy work into those who are desperate to retire. Introduce death camps for these managers, and you could bring state pension age down to 60 for those who want to claim it.

3 minutes ago, BurntBread said:

This is what turns people who enjoy work into those who are desperate to retire. Introduce death camps for these managers, and you could bring state pension age down to 60 for those who want to claim it.

Agree totally.

Incompetent and/or personality disordered managers take years of peoples lives.

5 hours ago, Game_of_Homes said:

Why would anyone want to live to be really old - you are basically just a mind trapped in a decrepit body (and even then you have a high chance of having a demented/alzheimer ridden mind, so not even your own mind anymore). My greatest fear is losing all my long term memories and that is already starting to happen.

with dementia its short term memories that you loose first,i have often seen people that are 75-90 think they are 10-25 years old and try and get ready for school and they remember which school

2 minutes ago, stokiescum said:

with dementia its short term memories that you loose first,i have often seen people that are 75-90 think they are 10-25 years old and try and get ready for school and they remember which school

Oh god, don’t tell me I’m going to relive my school days in my dotage. No.  

1 minute ago, stokiescum said:

Good news. My 20-25 year old memories are excellent. I will be an old codger with a permanent hard on 😁

Hopefully.

Just now, Cunning Plan said:

Good news. My 20-25 year old memories are excellent. I will be an old codger with a permanent hard on 😁

Hopefully.

remember one guy i used to visit was a horney old devil and a mad gambler and drinker,the first thing his family noticed was he lost interest in gambeling which was good has he lost 4 of his houses,the final straw for his son was when he went on holliday and left his daughter in charge,i used to visit to give him his meds.all she had to do was prompt him to have a bath,however she was kneeling down swirling the water around and turned around he had stripped off and tried to put his cock in her mouth,he was in a home within a week of the sons return.

6 hours ago, Game_of_Homes said:

If only...

Singularity is not that far off.  Keep yourself alive for another 20 years then forget about aging.

"2029 is the consistent date I have predicted for when an AI will pass a valid Turing test and therefore achieve human levels of intelligence. I have set the date 2045 for the ‘Singularity’ which is when we will multiply our effective intelligence a billion fold by merging with the intelligence we have created."

https://futurism.com/kurzweil-claims-that-the-singularity-will-happen-by-2045/

9 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

Yes, me too. On those lines you might like this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AsG1_3OTzyY