• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Cunning Plan

Trade Wars

Is Trump playing a blinder or is this the end of the World as the MSM see it?

I am assuming he has an endgame, and hopefully it will be a lesson in how to out-negotiate the EU.

But there are many here that know more than I. What is really going on?

I know less than you do. My impression is that Trump is a very creative bully, and his modus operandi is typically to throw his weight around, and then see if he can put together some of the pieces that fall back down. If so, it's not a strategy that's been used recently in international affairs, and, like Trump, I'm watching with interest - but unlike him, with some trepidation. With the US being in a strong position still, it's maybe not as risky as it looks.

21 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Is Trump playing a blinder or is this the end of the World as the MSM see it?

I am assuming he has an endgame, and hopefully it will be a lesson in how to out-negotiate the EU.

But there are many here that know more than I. What is really going on?

Hes stating the obvious.

China us way beyond taking the piss rigging it.

EU block has much higher tariffs than us. Trump is afopying more eu like tariff levels.

Eu surplus is mainly german exports.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Hes stating the obvious.

EU block has much higher tariffs than us. Trump is afopying more eu like tariff levels.

pretty much with everything he says.

The NK video the US administration made for rocket Man was a stroke of genius.

His tarriffs are common sense to bring other people to their sensibilities.

His recent press meeting with the parents of children murdered by illegals

etc etc

Edited by Hopeful

3 minutes ago, BurntBread said:

I know less than you do. My impression is that Trump is a very creative bully, and his modus operandi is typically to throw his weight around, and then see if he can put together some of the pieces that fall back down. If so, it's not a strategy that's been used recently in international affairs, and, like Trump, I'm watching with interest - but unlike him, with some trepidation. With the US being in a strong position still, it's maybe not as risky as it looks.

It's an superb strategy. In any trade war the US won't even bend before every other country breaks.

Tbh, the EU should be imposing tariffs on Chinese consumer tat. 

If the EU thinks tarriffs are so bad why are they talking about tariffs on UK/EU trade?

How funny would it be if the EU and USA had a trade war and we got a trade agreement with the USA!! Tbh, I'd prefer to buy an American car than a car made in France etc....

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

pretty much with everything he says.

The NK video the US administration made for rocket Man was a stroke of genius.

His tarriffs are common sense to bring other people to their sensibilities.

His recent press meeting with the parents of children murdered by illegals

etc etc

Politics dynmsics sre interesting.

For china, theyd have expected a rule followimg Pres, whod not upset the applecart. Catried on assuming us would treat trade as winwin despite us doing badly.

Fuckup up on that.

Germany is even dumber. They just dont accept that they an issue - massive trade sutpkuses but reguses to spend on commin defense. Idiots.

NK was prob China shitting it and handing NK on a plate, hoping for less shit.

China uses NK for its bargaining position.

Not sure what germany can do.

Theyve fucked up on trade. Then they fucked up on migrants.

Germany has to grovel to Us and its eu partners.

Edited by spygirl

8 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

If the EU thinks tarriffs are so bad why are they talking about tariffs on UK/EU trade?

How funny would it be if the EU and USA had a trade war and we got a trade agreement with the USA!! Tbh, I'd prefer to buy an American car than a car made in France etc....

China has been pursuing thd most insanely merchandyilist policy ever seen.

No issue 20yo when Chinas economy was smaller than greeces.

Huge fucking now its the worlds biggest.

10 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

Well when trump was first elected, those were the noises he was making. Then, along comes treason and the bus drivers son and fuck it all up. 

Idiots, complete loon fucking idiots. They could have played a blinder but oh no, they had to fucking virtue signal along with the rest of the fucking sjws. 

What fucking diplomacy school did the two of them fucking attend?  Where were out diplomatic core and senior civil servants when the were kicking off like children?  

Fucking loons.  

Aaannnndddd breath.  :) 

3 minutes ago, spygirl said:

China has been pursuing thd most insanely merchandyilist policy ever seen.

No issue 20yo when Chinas economy was smaller than greeces.

Huge fucking now its the worlds biggest.

I understand that the social contract in China is that Chinese citizens don't demand democracy as long as the communist party grows the economy at 7% a year. A trade war could bust the Chinese economy leading to large scale social unrest.... 

Interesting times...

Just now, Great Guy said:

I understand that the social contract in China is that Chinese citizens don't demand democracy as long as the communist party grows the economy at 7% a year. A trade war could bust the Chinese economy leading to large scale social unrest.... 

Interesting times...

As the Chinese say when they don’t particularly like you, may you live in interesting times. 

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Germany gaa yo grovrl yo us and its eu partners.

Can I have a translation, anyone?

I know what I would translate it as, but I may have missed a subtle nuance. :)

Edited by sleepwello'nights
missed the k off know

5 minutes ago, sleepwello'nights said:

Can I have a translation, anyone?

I know what I would translate it as, but I may have missed a subtle nuance. :)

Fixed.

Tablet. Sun. N football

4 minutes ago, sleepwello'nights said:

Thanks

As far as EU goes, its all down to Germany.

France does not care too much - merkins flock in their millions to stay in france. Free money why rock the boat.

Other eu countries either are limited in export output or operate a more trading import export, like nlands.

Germanys fucked up massively. And seems oblivious to it.

Just now, spygirl said:

As far as EU goes, its all down to Germany.

France does not care too much - merkins flock in their millions to stay in france. Free money why rock the boat.

Other eu countries either are limited in export output or operate a more trading import export, like nlands.

Germanys fucked up massively. And seems oblivious to it.

In what way are you thinking spy? 

Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Hes stating the obvious.

Some might say the effective subsidies to China and the EU were to help them get on their feet in the interests of globality and the VIs.

Now it's not necessary and indeed it's all gone far too far

Trump is recognising that and turning it to his own advantage.

Edited by twocents

It feels a little like the fall of Rome.

I think the real driver is strategic..  and that the US simply (and possibly correctly) don't trust the Chinese.

As the economies equilibrate relative wealth transfers from the US to China. So far the US has been happy to print money and give it to China,  slowly devaluing their wealth and in return getting the Chinese to make everything for them.  

The problem facing the US now is that China is almost as big as they are and an existential threat to their position as global leading power house. The Chinese are not a democracy and are starting to show signs of expansionism / aggression in the South China Sea..  and as their power grows this could just be the start.

Against this background all of the US manufacturing ability/capacity is slowly being offshored to their rival and having their technology stolen and reverse engineered.

So trade barriers are really just a way to retain strategic manufacturing capabilities (as far as I can tell). Just so if the Chinese turn nasty they have at least some kind of pot to piss in.

The above are just my reading of the situation..  I may be miles out of the ballpark.  I think it will temporarily win Trump some support at home,  but ultimately make little difference to the push of the Chinese towards global dominance. The US people will need to start doing more manual work that they originally outsourced to China for fiat..  but in the long run will actually retain their industry.  The question in the very long run, is how will China look back at the way the world treated them when they are the leading global power?

Sorry..  not many answers.

1 hour ago, Cunning Plan said:

I do have a hope that the EU will come out of this looking like protectionist idiots.

Put your tinfoil hat on - They may come out of it looking like a creation of the cabal....

2 minutes ago, Libspero said:

It feels a little like the fall of Rome.

I think the real driver is strategic..  and that the US simply (and possibly correctly) don't trust the Chinese.

As the economies equilibrate relative wealth transfers from the US to China. So far the US has been happy to print money and give it to China,  slowly devaluing their wealth and in return getting the Chinese to make everything for them.  

The problem facing the US now is that China is almost as big as they are and an existential threat to their position as global leading power house. The Chinese are not a democracy and are starting to show signs of expansionism / aggression in the South China Sea..  and as their power grows this could just be the start.

Against this background all of the US manufacturing ability/capacity is slowly being offshored to their rival and having their technology stolen and reverse engineered.

So trade barriers are really just a way to retain strategic manufacturing capabilities (as far as I can tell). Just so if the Chinese turn nasty they have at least some kind of pot to piss in.

The above are just my reading of the situation..  I may be miles out of the ballpark.  I think it will temporarily win Trump some support at home,  but ultimately make little difference to the push of the Chinese towards global dominance. The US people will need to start doing more manual work that they originally outsourced to China for fiat..  but in the long run will actually retain their industry.  The question in the very long run, is how will China look back at the way the world treated them when they are the leading global power?

Sorry..  not many answers.

Good analysis. The bit in bold is what I really don’t understand. 

Why would that be seen as a good plan?  It has decimated the industrial heartland of America and impoverished a lot of Americans 

26 minutes ago, One percent said:

In what way are you thinking spy? 

Just so many ways. None really deliberate, but gross self interest which is fucking Us and European countries.

One, the Euro. Massive fuckup.

Two, german export strength which is beggaring rest if europe.

Three, the car exports and the bentness of yhem. Germsn car nakers wripite the eu emission rules. The cgested in them.

Four, refusal to spend on defense. Beyond a joke, pulling the peacekeeper bit, cobsistently spending sod all, whilst france and uk and us shoulder eu defense cost. Then lecturing countries about having a deficit.

Five, migrants. Playing nivpce germans by importing millions into the schengen area. Then, as it refuses to spend money, blaming the frontier countries for being nasty as the shitholers flood in.