• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Great Guy

Year Out?

Anyone ever take a year out?

I have to admit a year out (even a few months) sounds awesome to me. I'd love a few months travelling in Asia. Even walking the pilgrim trails in Spain would be good.

I can't help thinking you get yourself stuck in a rut after your thirties. You're working away and get a few weeks holiday a year. It's not even as if travelling in Asia would cost that much. I reckon a grand a month in Thailand would see you living like a king with all the lady boys you could handle.

I do some charity work and I see the lifestyle of some of the "alternative" people. I have to admit working for 6 months then spending 6 months surfing sounds good. 

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

I have to admit a year out (even a few months) sounds awesome to me. I'd love a few months travelling in Asia. Even walking the pilgrim trails in Spain would be good.

I can't help thinking you get yourself stuck in a rut after your thirties. You're working away and get a few weeks holiday a year. It's not even as if travelling in Asia would cost that much. I reckon a grand a month in Thailand would see you living like a king with all the lady boys you could handle.

I do some charity work and I see the lifestyle of some of the "alternative" people. I have to admit working for 6 months then spending 6 months surfing sounds good. 

of course it's fekking good

One of my life-changing and most memorable experiences was camping on an overlook in the rainforest in Costa Rica in 1990.

I woke at dawn to the sound of a troop of howler monkeys. It was raucus laughter in the treetops.

I thought, they are probably laughing at humans, mocking an highly evolved primate that has lost all its freedom.

I have worked fekking hard doing what I enjoy and played fekking hard at what I enjoy ever since, and it doesn't need lots of money to do so

Edited by Hopeful

Well, first of all 'travelling' is actually 'having a long holiday'.  

Beyond that, if you're 'stuck in a rut', don't think the answer is to get out of said rut, have a jolly for a few months, and then go and lie back down in that rut.

But I'm all in favour of the lifestyle thing -- do something new, do what you want to do, etc.  6 months working, 6 playing seems like a reasonable thing to do if you can afford it.  Better would be to find a 'means of living' which is so enjoyable that you don't need to try to spend half the time not doing it.

As a young auditor on a big audit there were two women working in junior admin roles at the company, both aged IIRC late 50s.  With the arrogance of youth they were generally dismissed as "old dears", after all we were in our early twenties and so de facto cool.

Anyway one day I was making tea and started chatting to them in the kitchen.  They were friends who very early on had decided that there was a whole world out there and had spent the last thirty years working six months in London and then traveling for six months.

They had done amazing things and lived an awesome life and we had dismissed them as old dears.  I didn't tell them that but they would probably have laughed and not minded as when you have spent thirty years living that sort of life you have nothing to prove.

It appealed, of course, but you sacrifice certain things to do that - financial security, pension, house - and that bargain wasn't for me.  Though they were rather awesome.

20 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

I thought, they are probably laughing at humans, mocking an highly evolved primate that has lost all its freedom.

Maybe they were just laughing at you?

Posted (edited)

I took 2 months out a year ago.  Spent a month in the Philippines and a month in Thailand.  Brilliant time but feck it was tough going back to work. 

I plan to take around 4 months off  this December again.  Like you said it only takes a grand a month.  This time I will do less travelling and fine a nice condo on the coast in Thailand and chill.  I always wanted to learn how to code and will do an online course. Time out time is a good time to learn some new skills. 

Edited by montecristo

A year out?

I'd give my left nut.

Perhaps if I had given my left nut I'd currently be travelling somewhere exotic rather than being up to my elbows in shitty nappies and mortgaged to the tits.

*sigh*

Posted (edited)

Went to work on Friday in October 2009 and the first thing I did was fire up Word and write my resignation letter, handed to my boss that afternoon. Spent my months notice making plans for what I'd do.

Moved all my stuff back to my mums, went to Thailand for a bit, came back did some work under my own steam, went to Thailand again. By October I was ready to work again and fell on my feet as it were with a few job offers.

Changed my life :)

Edited by Cosmic Apple

Dreams of a lost youth... sigh.

I recall in my early twenties, we'd just had a boom in house prices and our daughter was about 18 months old. We gave a lot of thought to flying to the United States, buying a motor home travelling across America for a while and the bringing it back to the UK to sell. We explored the idea even got as far as enquiring about the shipping costs to bring the motor home to England. I've still got the brochure of the motor home we thought about buying, somewhere in my heaps of stuff, I think. Actually I think I threw it out when we last moved. 

No idea why we didn't. Life just got in the way. I could do it now but it doesn't have the same appeal it did then.

I quit work at 27, spent 3 months traveling around North America, and another 3 months dosing about when I got back.

I managed another 10 years in work before I took voluntary redundancy and then I took a year off. I'd just had enough of it and needed a reset.

I've been back in work for 5 years, and am hoping to manage another 10 to get my mortgage paid off before I go into some sort of semiretirement, working 3 days a week or suchlike. I'm not convinced that I can make it in one stretch, so I may have to rethink it and go earlier. But then I'm not sure that I've got it in me to start again once I've packed it in.

Big blocks of time off work are fantastic, but it's a fucking killer when you have to get back to the grind.

xD

1 hour ago, Rave said:

It's two years since I quit my last job, and in that time all I've really managed is to sober up. I'm now burning through the rest of my money fast enough that the time is coming where my various schemes will have to start paying me a consistent income, or I'm going to have to go back to being a wage slave.

Either way I'm not fussed though, it's basically been great and I'm happier and healthier than I have been for many years. 

I had two and a half years out to do a post grad degree at thirty with the aim of going full time into archaeology.  It became clear to me through the degree that I wouldn't enjoy the academic side of archaeology as my job and that had been the goal.  I still finished the degree and enjoyed it for its own sake rather than for what it would lead to.

So two and a half years later I resumed my finance career on considerably less money having also cost myself a lot.

However having given that dream a proper shot I was now far more focused upon my career and appreciated it more.  Overall the net effect of that time off was a more successful and interesting career than it would have been otherwise IMO.

If the only thing you take from your two years is sobriety and increased focus then I think you will end up making the same conclusion and not regretting it at all.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Great Guy said:

Grand a month doesnt go far these days in the tourist spots of Thailand if you want to be out and about a lot, ladies or ladyboys if thats your preference will bleed that out of you in no time.

Best off going for 6 months and spend 2 grand a month and not paying for it.

I took a year out in 2000 in mid 20s and was bored shitless after 6 months, came home early after 7

Edited by Banned by HPC

2 hours ago, Rave said:

It's two years since I quit my last job, and in that time all I've really managed is to sober up. I'm now burning through the rest of my money fast enough that the time is coming where my various schemes will have to start paying me a consistent income, or I'm going to have to go back to being a wage slave.

Either way I'm not fussed though, it's basically been great and I'm happier and healthier than I have been for many years. 

Well done re quitting the booze.

If I didn’t have kids I would quit my job tomorrow and go sailing for a couple years.  My job role is pretty generic and I could walk back into a similar role (probably on £20k less) within a few months if I needed to.

It’s the family that kinda screw everything up :/

I don't personally. SE Asia tourist trail doesn't appeal. Would much rather take a weekend or full week break to somewhere in mainland Europe, indeed one of my aims in life is to hire a boat and navigate the Greek islands.

But I have no interest in Thailand etc - looks utterly ruined to me by middle class students who are trying to reenact The Beach. 

1 minute ago, spunko2010 said:

But I have no interest in Thailand etc - looks utterly ruined to me by middle class students who are trying to reenact The Beach. 

That was my impression last time I was there. There are still good places but they take some effort to get to.

Much of Thailand has turned into Magaluf and in many places as a result, the locals attitude towards tourists reflects this. You're just an ATM now.

Probably been there about 10 times over the past 20 years, I don't think I'll be heading back after the last one.

8 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

I don't personally. SE Asia tourist trail doesn't appeal. Would much rather take a weekend or full week break to somewhere in mainland Europe, indeed one of my aims in life is to hire a boat and navigate the Greek islands.

I have done about three months sailing the Greek islands in total, and yes, back in the day it was fantastic. Probably need to be worried about piracy nowadays though.

(Pedant on - you charter a boat. Don't want you looking like a landlubber before you even get off the pontoon 😁)

When young I never had the confidence to travel. It would certainly have been formative and likely just what I needed then. On the other side of the coin I am certain it would have hampered career progression.

Posted (edited)

I had a year out many years ago - 2001. Saved up with my girlfriend in our final year at university then went to Australia for a year. 

Flew into Darwin, bought a car and some camping gear and off we went. Saw everything except the south coast as we had run out of money in Perth so drove over to Sydney where there was a lot more work available. 

Stayed in Sydney to replenish funds then set off up the East Coast. Even now I meet people who claim to have spent a gap year travelling in Australia, but when you get into it turns out they spent 12 months on the piss in Bondi. All the best stuff is in the tropical North and North East, along with the west coast.

I would reccomend it, but with one piece of advice. Take a lot of pictures, because you will forget.

Edited by Roger_Mellie

1 hour ago, spunko2010 said:

I have never been to SE Asia and tbh it doesn't appeal in the slightest: hot and humid, touristy, sex culture, drugs.  Never say never but I have no intention of going; maybe just if on a round the world cruise.

Great if SE Asia does appeal but I had tired of hearing "brave traveller" tales in my early twenties when it seemed that not only had every second person I knew been but they had been to the same places; Great Yarmouth was more rarely visited than these allegedly remote parts of Thailand.

Aus, NZ, Canada and the US all appeal for extended holidays as does sailing.

I was truly shocked at school when I realised adults didn't have 8 weeks off over the summer. I mean fuck it was their system, why not organise it to their advantage. 

I then spent my grown up time organising my life so I have at least 6 weeks off every summer and generally large chunks of time off whenever. Before family I used to travel, try other jobs or he generally dick about. I took one winter off once to engage in research in the subject of whether humans could hibernate or not. But apart from that winter, I don't think I acheived much useful in all my time off. so a waste really. But then again I never really achieved much working either. 

I took a year out few years ago. Was amazing. Luckily it was also a great summer so I lucked out. 

Recommended. 

Posted (edited)

I have taken quite a few years out, probably around a third of my working life, the most recent one ended for a couple of reasons, one was I was no longer entitled to health cover so was forced back to work. Before my last career break I was on 3 days a week but working away from home, which rather spoiled the days off as I was tired. I'm now working 4 days a week but locally, which is not bad to be honest. Part time work, rather than long breaks, is not a bad way to go if you live somewhere nice.

Have a plan if you take time off, think about what you want to achieve. I spent a lot of time pottering around the house.

Edited by Dave Bloke