• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

This Time

Does anyone actually like their energy supplier!

I've been happy with EDF for years but they've gone shit and have been ringing me all the fucking time despite me asking them not to. Does anyone have a recommendation?

I'm with Utility Warehouse for energy, phone, broadband and mobile. Not the absolute cheapest on the market but it saves me having to dick around all the time.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, This Time said:

I've been happy with EDF for years but they've gone shit and have been ringing me all the fucking time despite me asking them not to. Does anyone have a recommendation?

We're with EDF, I wouldn't know if they are calling me, they only have my landline number and I unplugged the landline phone 2 years ago. It still "rings" from the callers perspective :)

It's not worth cancelling the line as then the broadband charges go up.

I still give out the landline number to people I don't want calling me.

Edited by snagger

Posted (edited)

Can't remember who I'm with, but they really annoyed me recently. Started the switching process to bulb.

The process all started then I checked online after a few weeks of not hearing anything, only to find my current company had stopped the switch because I was in arrears. No communication, no anything.

When you switch the instruction is not to cancel direct debits so any arrears can be taken - but in my case they never even tried. Just blocked the switch.

Anyway, long story short - paid the electric and switched that, I'll switch the gas in October after I haven't used any for 6 months. 

This is a really common pattern I've seen for the last 20 years - it's all great until you want to move on.

Edited by Roger_Mellie

I’m with Atlantic, an offshoot of one of the bigger ones, it might be Scottish?  Anyhow, never any problem and on the couple of occasions I have had to phone them, very quick to answer and a British call centre. 

On 24/06/2018 at 11:59, Cunning Plan said:

I'm with breeze. Very basic website but were the cheapest at the time.

No complaints so far.

Thanks, I've gone with them as their prices are good and the few reviews I could find for them were all positive.

Just now, Cunning Plan said:

I feel responsible now. Bugger!

They've got no minimum contract length so I can always sack them off if they're shit. I just want someone who can supply me with energy, not harrass me and sort mistakes out without requiring a million phonecalls. Actually, I'd put up with either of the second two criteria.

1 minute ago, Option5 said:

OVO, been good so far.

I'll keep then in mind for is I need to give Breeze the boot.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, GARCH said:

Bulb seems ok - take a look, 100% renewable.

I nearly went with them but their excellent trustpilot rating turned out to be due to people spamming their referral codes which made me a bit wary.

Edited by This Time

Ovo is great. The only time I ever called them it was a UK call centre, and they pay 5% interest on your account if it's in credit - way more than I can get in a bank.

I'm with SSE moved about a year ago from E.On no reason other than to find a supplier I could be a stakeholder in at the right price as that's part of my investment beliefs/strategy. Fixed for three years before the price hikes recently so I'm happy on both fronts.

15 minutes ago, blobloblob said:

Ovo is great. The only time I ever called them it was a UK call centre, and they pay 5% interest on your account if it's in credit - way more than I can get in a bank.

I was just about to moan about them unnecessarily hiking my direct debit and creating a large credit over the Summer months but if they are going to give me 5% interest that’s fine :-)

On 24/06/2018 at 11:51, This Time said:

I changed from EDF after years becuase they went shit and high priced

I changed to Octopus - marvelous so far

On ‎24‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 12:43, One percent said:

I’m with Atlantic, an offshoot of one of the bigger ones, it might be Scottish?  Anyhow, never any problem and on the couple of occasions I have had to phone them, very quick to answer and a British call centre. 

I like Scottish Hydro, I think that's Atlantic or something for those in Englandshire. Easy to deal with, British call centre and they answer phones quickly.

I dunno who we are with at home, Mrs Fimble has signed us up with somebody cheap.

1 minute ago, Inoperational Bumblebee said:

Just looking for a new one now. Is there anywhere that actually shows the individual prices i.e. per kWh and whatever it is for gas? Or does it not work like that?

OVO do, and you get your average daily cost each month, I'm on standard tariff as I may leave the country soon and don't want to be tied to a fixed term deal.

Gas

Unit rate:
3.64p/kWh  
Standing charge:
27.40p/day  

Electricity

Unit rate:
15.52p/kWh  
Standing charge:
27.40p/day

On 25/06/2018 at 20:52, longtomsilver said:

I'm with SSE moved about a year ago from E.On no reason other than to find a supplier I could be a stakeholder in at the right price as that's part of my investment beliefs/strategy. Fixed for three years before the price hikes recently so I'm happy on both fronts.

I'm also with SSE, though in not so sophisticated a way, and my only annoyance with them is that despite their regulalry refunding me amounts off my electricity bill (I have solar panels) their algorithm still thinks that the monthly debit (£19 IIRC) should't be changed.  For the amount involved I'm not that bothered but it's clearly incorrect.

No other problems bar having to rip up the "people are fitting smart meters in your area" post that comes through the door but I think all suppliers do that.

5 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I'm also with SSE, though in not so sophisticated a way, and my only annoyance with them is that despite their regulalry refunding me amounts off my electricity bill (I have solar panels) their algorithm still thinks that the monthly debit (£19 IIRC) should't be changed.  For the amount involved I'm not that bothered but it's clearly incorrect.

No other problems bar having to rip up the "people are fitting smart meters in your area" post that comes through the door but I think all suppliers do that.

I'm with Breeze. Seem OK and very simple website. And haven't once tried to get me to install a smart meter.