• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
swiss_democracy_for_all

Furniture online from China/Far East

Anyone bought any?

Any good? Problems? Delivery times? Quality?

Looking for a Lazy-boy style armchair, not leather, one where the covering tissue will last more than a couple of years.

And then maybe a sofa, if the armchair is any good. 

I'd have to get it delivered to France.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, One percent said:

What’s wrong with British made furniture....

Usually the price! Also neither Swissy nor i live in the uk?

Edited by whocares

1 minute ago, whocares said:

Usually the price!

I bought a British made sofa a few years back, even from an ex display place (1/2 price), it was significant for a single 3 seater...

Hopefully it will last though! Its faring better than the previous Chinese one that's for sure.

I bought a secondhand sofa-bed a few years back,. It eventually broke bacause of the springs.

I decided to take it apart as I hoped there might be some useful timber in it.

What I found, when I stripped away the foam padding, was staggering.

A bizzare range of offcuts, melamine faced bits, odd chunks of wood, stapled /nailed together to make the frame. I was amazed it had lasted.

All concealed by the foam rubber padding.

As I hadn't bought it new I wasn't too bothered. I'd got a few years use out of it.

And in a way I admire the way some scrap wood offcuts had been upcycled.

1 hour ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

Shit website and hate going there

Same as Swiss, too expensive.

It's a lot easier to go to an IKEA shop and see/touch what you are looking for,  get it same day (or quite soon after if you require a delivery van) and then be able to take it back (for a full refund) if it doesn't quite look right in your home tho?! (Disclaimer - I LOVE IKEA!)  Seriously, haven't they got anything you fancy?

I have one of the UK furniture "manufacturers" stay at our hotel regularly. I think unless you are talking absolute bespoke almost ALL furniture you are likely to come across in the UK is from the Far East/China. He has given up on UK manufacture. We are talking of business in the £millions of turnover. He also says how dire the market is at the moment. Again the word dire should interpreted in a most extreme sense.

Biggest pile of shit you will ever buy is anything covered in leather from India/China/Far East as it may technically be leather but the finish is basically sprayed on and will start peeling off within 2 years.

SCS = Stupendously Crap Sofas.

I went to DFS 6 months back with my mum. Seemingly some of their sofas are still made in the UK. I'd imagine sofas made in the UK would be a selling point as once you decide you want a sofa you can't be bothered waiting 12 weeks for it to come from Asia.

9 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

There is a poster on TOS who imports furniture from China. Posted quite a bit about the process, pros & cons. Forget his handle but maybe a search would bring up the relevant posts.

Are you sure you are not talking about @DurhamBorn and his patio furniture....

30 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Yes, that's him.

Yes i import from China still,though im down to only 3 x 20 foot containers a year now to stay in the tax allowance and iv hired a couple of those static containers to store in rather than a warehouse sub let.Fixed costs only £40 a week now.

Not sure on importing single furniture items as the transport costs would be quite high id expect and the quality average.Id much rather go on Gumtree and spend £300 on a second hand one that was £3k new.The amount of posh women who flog off stuff every couple of years is amazing.I kitted out my living room for £700 with sofas and really nice furniture that would of been around £6k new.Is there a French Gumtree?