• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
TheCountOfNowhere

Cycling

Im supposed to be doing a charity bike ride in Spain this year.

Nearly killed me doing 10 miles at the weekend.

Anyone any cycling tips ?

i.e. dont do it and go to the pub instead.

Do cycling shoes/clips/pedals help ?

Is a new sadle better than better cycling shorts ?

How do I get one of those small electric motors fitted inside my frame ?

Thanks.

Ta

Buy yourself at least one pair of these. You can wash them each evening in this weather, hang up them and they dry by morning. Your bottom will love you for it.

I am a 36 inch waist - measured - and 42 inch chest - measured - and XXL fits me.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-classic-bib-shorts-1/

Buy some chamois cream to rub on your man bits and bottom each morning. Youe man-bits and bottom will thank you for it.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/assos-chamois-cream-140ml/

If you are taking your own bike buy some puncture resistant tyres for peace of mine. Slightly heavier but beats having to change tubes in hot weather. Make and model will depend upon your bike.

Make sure that you have plenty of suncream, a helmet and gloves obviously and a means to rehydrate yourself several times per hour - either lots of water-bottles on the bike or some kind of ruck-sack camel hydration system.

Are you going to have a support vehicle which carries all your kit or will you be lugging it all on your bikes?

Frankly, you need to be building up to this all now with preparing your bottom, using the above, and also riding in a good saddle - but you need to know which bike you will be using to decide saddle.

All good advice from TMT. I would add the following:

Get your arse measured and buy a saddle to match your sit bone width. All good bike shops can help you with this.

Going with clipless peddles and matching shoes is a good plan if there’s a lot of hills involved.

Buy a heart rate monitor and learn to pace yourself using it. Going off too quick at the start of a really long ride is a recipe for pain and suffering.

Take in at least 200 calories an hour whilst on long rides.

How long is this ride?

Work up to it.

Going straight out and doing a long ride will kill your bits, legs and desire.

Padded shorts are a must (undershorts if you don't want your arse out). You can try different saddles but it will cost a fortune to do so as you'll not know until you've spent an hour or more on it.

I commute 2-4 days a week, 10miles each way with 2200ft of climbing on the round trip if the weather is good, after 3 days back to back my legs feel it and I need a few days off the bike.

Pedals are personal, I used clipped for ages, but couldn't get used to them when I got back in to cycling... now I think I'm going back. If you want to use flats get some good stiff shoes with grippy rubber.

Oh and get on Strava. If you have a regular route its great for tracking your time to see yourself getting better. Just ignore what others are doing though or you'll get depressed :)

Posted (edited)

I bought this bioflex saddle - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/bioflex-ongel-relaxed/

There are several versions available but I went for something that was comfortable after my bottom suddenly decided that harder racing saddles had to go. But it took me 3 - 4 weeks to ride in the new saddle and get it and my backside in synch. During that time I had sore bits and developed a few sores until it was broken in.

Oddly enough I was talking with a lady in her 60's yesterday who has decided to walk the Camino to Santiago de Compostela in Spainin a week despite the furthest she has walked in years is 12 miles several hours. But she is going to buy some walking books and, um that'sd it. I suggested lots of socks and breaking the boots in but I could see that it was falling on deaf ears.

Back to the cycling.

I would not use cleats unless you are very used to them and are cycling long and fast daily. If you are not used to them you are more likely to fall off and injure yourself.

@TheCountOfNowhere really needs to tell us:

1. How far he is planning on cycling daily.

2. Whether he will be using a racing bike or a hybrid bike.

If you are going to do it in Spanish summer temps you will need to plan on not cycling in the middle of the day unless you are completely nuts. That could mean no cycling from 11AM till 3 or 4 in the afternoon. I would seriously investigate the various tablets you can buy to add to water to give you back vital salts that you will sweat away in this heat. You can die from losing electrolytes cycling in this wether that we currently have in the UK let alone in Spain.

I would be going through several of these tablets per day in my water if I was riding in Spain.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/high5-zero-20-tabs-1/

Perhaps invest in some of the isotonic drinks also so that you can have a few per day.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/nutrition/

Edited by The Masked Tulip

Posted (edited)

I wear padded lycra shorts, and I also use a remarkably good gel saddle cover from Poundland.

The latter, obviously, only cost £1.

(That's only 50p per buttock)

Edited by Happy Renting

10 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I would not use cleats unless you are very used to them and are cycling long and fast daily. If you are not used to them you are more likely to fall off and injure yourself.

How do you get used to them if you dont use them till you get used to them ? ;)

@TheCountOfNowhere really needs to tell us:

1. How far he is planning on cycling daily.

2. Whether he will be using a racing bike or a hybrid bike.

If you are going to do it in Spanish summer temps you will need to plan on not cycling in the middle of the day unless you are completely nuts. That could mean no cycling from 11AM till 3 or 4 in the afternoon. I would seriously investigate the various tablets you can buy to add to water to give you back vital salts that you will sweat away in this heat. You can die from losing electrolytes cycling in this wether that we currently have in the UK let alone in Spain.

I would be going through several of these tablets per day in my water if I was riding in Spain.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/high5-zero-20-tabs-1/

Perhaps invest in some of the isotonic drinks also so that you can have a few per day.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/nutrition/

1. 10 miles a day during the week, then 20/30/40 miles at the weekend.  Charity ride is some 200 miles.

2. Racing bike, I'm not a lady.

Thanks for the info TMT.

31 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Buy yourself at least one pair of these. You can wash them each evening in this weather, hang up them and they dry by morning. Your bottom will love you for it.

I am a 36 inch waist - measured - and 42 inch chest - measured - and XXL fits me.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-classic-bib-shorts-1/

Buy some chamois cream to rub on your man bits and bottom each morning. Youe man-bits and bottom will thank you for it.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/assos-chamois-cream-140ml/

If you are taking your own bike buy some puncture resistant tyres for peace of mine. Slightly heavier but beats having to change tubes in hot weather. Make and model will depend upon your bike.

Make sure that you have plenty of suncream, a helmet and gloves obviously and a means to rehydrate yourself several times per hour - either lots of water-bottles on the bike or some kind of ruck-sack camel hydration system.

Are you going to have a support vehicle which carries all your kit or will you be lugging it all on your bikes?

Frankly, you need to be building up to this all now with preparing your bottom, using the above, and also riding in a good saddle - but you need to know which bike you will be using to decide saddle.

I have till early October.  I'm more of a none of the gear no idea types xD

25 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

Get your arse measured and buy a saddle to match your sit bone width. All good bike shops can help you with this.

Going with clipless peddles and matching shoes is a good plan if there’s a lot of hills involved.

Buy a heart rate monitor and learn to pace yourself using it. Going off too quick at the start of a really long ride is a recipe for pain and suffering.

How long is this ride?

200 miles so I will need to take at least 2 bottles of red wine per day.

Posted (edited)
38 minutes ago, TheBlueCat said:

How long is this ride?

200 in total miles so I will need to take at least 2 bottles of red wine per day.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

4 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

How do you get used to them if you dont use them till you get used to them ? ;)

1. 10 miles a day during the week, then 20/30/40 miles at the weekend.  Charity ride is some 200 miles.

2. Racing bike, I'm not a lady.

Thanks for the info TMT.

I have till early October.  I'm more of a none of the gear no idea types xD

Well, you have plenty of time to build up slowly.

You have time to buy a decent saddle and ride it in. Get the cycling bib tights - I would buy two pairs for a 200 mile journey - and a new saddle at the same time so you can get used to both. I am not sure of the temps in Spain in October but you might actually need to be thinking of long cycling bib tights as opposed to shorts.

Either way the DHB kit is very good re the shorts I linked to.

You probably do not need the chamois cream NOW if you are just going out to build up to the October ride. But I would get a jar for the October ride as putting it on your sore bits will seem like Heaven. Of course, put it on each morning, and reapply during the ride, to try and prevent soreness.

The 10 miles per day is nothing really. I did a charity ride in France where it was 100 miles a day on average. Your idea of doing 10 miles per day during the week and then much longer on the weekend sounds a tad bad thinking IMPO. Try to do 15 miles per day during the week  - 20 miles should be doable -  oherwise that big mileage on the weekend will demoralise you as you see it approaching closer and closer.

I would NOT buy a racing bike saddle. Get a comfy good hybrid saddle. Heck, why are you taking bikes? You can walk 10 miles per day.

Posted (edited)

This my chopper 

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-520-road-bike-sora-id_8377757.html

I've got the cycling shorts (bib style), my arse is raw though.

Was thinking of the getting the pedals/better bid.

Not so worried about the nutrition side of it, will stop for a sangria now and again.

Check out the sadle, worth changing it or adding a gel cover ?

2 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Well, you have plenty of time to build up slowly.

You have time to buy a decent saddle and ride it in. Get the cycling bib tights - I would buy two pairs for a 200 mile journey - and a new saddle at the same time so you can get used to both. I am not sure of the temps in Spain in October but you might actually need to be thinking of long cycling bib tights as opposed to shorts.

Either way the DHB kit is very good re the shorts I linked to.

You probably do not need the chamois cream NOW if you are just going out to build up to the October ride. But I would get a jar for the October ride as putting it on your sore bits will seem like Heaven. Of course, put it on each morning, and reapply during the ride, to try and prevent soreness.

The 10 miles per day is nothing really. I did a charity ride in France where it was 100 miles a day on average. Your idea of doing 10 miles per day during the week and then much longer on the weekend sounds a tad bad thinking IMPO. Try to do 15 miles per day during the week  - 20 miles should be doable -  oherwise that big mileage on the weekend will demoralise you as you see it approaching closer and closer.

I would NOT buy a racing bike saddle. Get a comfy good hybrid saddle. Heck, why are you taking bikes? You can walk 10 miles per day.

Not when you have children and a long commute you cant !!!!

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

3 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

This my chopper 

I've got the cycling shorts (bib style), my arse is raw though.

Was thinking of the getting the pedals/better bid.

Not so worried about the nutrition side of it, will stop for a sangria now and again.

Check out the sadle, worth changing it or adding a gel cover ?

Not when you have children and a long commute you cant !!!!

I have lost interest now as you are doing feck all miles per day.  :P  A gel cover from poundland will suffice. Personally I think they move around too much but some people love them. The saddle on your bike looks hard. I winced looking at it.

You don't need cleats.

Pedals are a personal thing. I have big feet so I always change pedals to bigger, wider pedals.

5 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

A gel cover from poundland will suffice. Personally I think they move around too much but some people love them.

It all adds to the pleasure. It's like sitting on somebody's face.

7 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I have lost interest now as you are doing feck all miles per day.  :P  A gel cover from poundland will suffice. Personally I think they move around too much but some people love them. The saddle on your bike looks hard. I winced looking at it.

You don't need cleats.

Pedals are a personal thing. I have big feet so I always change pedals to bigger, wider pedals.

I'll change the saddle then, that was the killer at the end of my ride.

I'll try and do a few more miles a day if you talk to me again.

I dont have an option, I need to get my miles up.

At least I know that the SORA means

4 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

I'll change the saddle then, that was the killer at the end of my ride.

I'll try and do a few more miles a day if you talk to me again.

I dont have an option, I need to get my miles up.

At least I know that the SORA means

Just buy one of those bioflex saddles for between £20 and £30. Your bottom will thank you for it. Wiggle sell them and so do Halfords.

Is getting a bike and just riding around on it, unmodified, at a comfortable pace and wearing regular clothes, like, against the law now?

Get clip ins. Huge difference. Iirc maybe 20% or so. You will fall off once - everyone does. Long as you don't die then it's worth it. 

22 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Just buy one of those bioflex saddles for between £20 and £30. Your bottom will thank you for it. Wiggle sell them and so do Halfords.

You seem to have a very vocal bottom.

25 minutes ago, eight said:

Is getting a bike and just riding around on it, unmodified, at a comfortable pace and wearing regular clothes, like, against the law now?

Fine if its flat and you don't want to go very far :P

The most important part IMO is in the video below the amount of people i see cycling that don`t get nowhere near full  extension of the leg is shocking ,for most saddle height is all about being able t touch the floor

5 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

The most important part IMO is in the video below the amount of people i see cycling that don`t get nowhere near full  extension of the leg is shocking ,for most saddle height is all about being able t touch the floor

Yep you should only just be able to stand with a toe on the ground for one foot for maximum power :Old: