• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
One percent

Houses you would quite like to live in

1 minute ago, dgul said:

It wouldn't be very private in the summer.  

The front no but there looks to be a walled garden to the side.  My view is that it would be best in the middle of winter. Just think of sitting looking out at the sea as a force ten gale batters the windows. Wonderful. :)

Just now, Economic Exile said:

It's nice to dream looking at these lovely houses 🙂

I should really be looking at caravan sites xD

xD  it's nice to look and dream.  That house in southwold, we were there for mr one's birthday last year.  I sat on the wall thinking, now if that were up for sale and if I won the lottery... 

well it's up for sale and I've got my ticket. xD

1 minute ago, Happy Renting said:

Where in Southwold? I know it well.

First post, link to estate agents PDF. Gun hill 

2 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

Where in Southwold? I know it well.

To,add, do,you fancy going halves?  xD

20 minutes ago, One percent said:

I wish! Very nice spot.

And good local beer.

The cannon would make the town a military target. I think they hid them for that reason in WW2.

I doubt I could even afford one of those beach huts.

Edited by Happy Renting

1 minute ago, Happy Renting said:

I wish! Very nice spot.

And good local beer.

I doubt I could even afford one of those beach huts.

This is  the dreamer's thread. xD  I wish.  I have bought my lottery ticket in anticipation  

the gin is also excellent  B|

3 minutes ago, Chewing Grass said:

I gave up dreaming years ago and will settle for a little two up two down somewhere windswept and cold enough to keep southerners at bay.

Keep dreaming chewy, it's one of my favourite pastimes.  

I like cold and windswept too which is why the original thread house appealed. Perhaps we can have a whip-round, there are enough rooms to house us all. xD  

42 minutes ago, One percent said:

This is a route I had seriously considered. Refurb which has a layout suitable for splitting equally (or otherwise), non-listed with grounds all round could be viable. Would work best with pooled cash buying the shell, cash to do the main works involved in doing the split and then once separating the two (or more) parts of the house then each party can mortgage to raise funds for completion - I think there would be major blockers trying to get any sort of mortgage prior to the split. Never found quite the right place but had friends looking at the same and would certainly have investigated this route if something interesting turned up.

2 minutes ago, onlyme said:

This is a route I had seriously considered. Refurb which has a layout suitable for splitting equally (or otherwise), non-listed with grounds all round could be viable. Would work best with pooled cash buying the shell, cash to do the main works involved in doing the split and then once separating the two (or more) parts of the house then each party can mortgage to raise funds for completion - I think there would be major blockers trying to get any sort of mortgage prior to the split. Never found quite the right place but had friends looking at the same and would certainly have investigated this route if something interesting turned up.

And then let it out innit. xD

seriously, it is a way of buying what you could not afford on your own.  However, a lot of these houses don't lend themselves to be split in this way.  Looking at the floor plan for the one in southwold, it is far too large, but there is no easy (and aesthetic) way to split it 

Just now, One percent said:

And then let it out innit. xD

seriously, it is a way of buying what you could not afford on your own.  However, a lot of these houses don't lend themselves to be split in this way.  Looking at the floor plan for the one in southwold, it is far too large, but there is no easy (and aesthetic) way to split it 

Yes, agreed, anything suitable would very much be the exception. Although in cities multi-storey houses often chop and change from house to  flats/apartment and back again so why not consider it to something a little different. I still think there is some mileage in it but heck of a alignment required in finding right place and the right people to do the deal with - high level of trust required. There is another route though - if the place is a tear down, not sure why the planning implications would be in this case.