• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
wherebee

Stupid government decisions - number 458372

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/jun/25/government-rejects-plan-for-tidal-lagoon-in-swansea

So  - with a future in which energy costs are going to go up once the shale oil starts to decline/Saudi Arabia implodes/Russia turns off the gas, government turns down a scheme which would create many initial and ongoing jobs in making a structure which is very low risk for terrorist attack (again a baked in increasing threat for the UK given demographics) in favour of NUCLEAR.

Un fucking believable.

Posted (edited)

IMO it is a bit like the voting down of the upskirting bill last week -- it is a great idea that could enhance the UK energy sustainability and engineering excellence, and should definitely go ahead.  However, the specific details of the proposal aren't so great (there is a definite whiff of dodgy).  Yet we're hearing cries of 'shame' based on the overall theory, not on the specifics.  

Edited by dgul

I go past one on the biggest windfarms in the UK at 5pm they are all whizzing round nicely, by 8pm they are always OFF irrespective of the weather.

They are only utilised when demand is high and turned off to prop the price up when demand is low, it is all designed to make money not save CO2 and anyone who believes otherwise is a Muppet.

If they truly wanted to save the planet fucking smart meters would work so I could use my frigging washing machine in the evening when those fucking windmills are doing nothing.

36.25. Maurice Strong is an interesting character and background ;). I wonder how many people know how much of a hand the oligarchs have had in the environmental movement.

6 hours ago, Byron said:

It always was an expensive vanity project, first for Swansea, then for Wales.

This.

Interestingly (or not) this came up a few months ago where it was being presented as some nasty Welsh people want to despoil the Lizard (Cornwall) whereas @The Masked Tulip reading the Swansea press was hearing it as some nasty Cornish people who own a quarry want to despoil Swansea Bay.

This sort of thing is clearly the future but this specific one was stinking to high heaven of backroom deals and huge personal gain at taxpayers' expense so I'm glad that it's been killed off.

7 hours ago, wherebee said:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2018/jun/25/government-rejects-plan-for-tidal-lagoon-in-swansea

So  - with a future in which energy costs are going to go up once the shale oil starts to decline/Saudi Arabia implodes/Russia turns off the gas, government turns down a scheme which would create many initial and ongoing jobs in making a structure which is very low risk for terrorist attack (again a baked in increasing threat for the UK given demographics) in favour of NUCLEAR.

Un fucking believable.

Daresay the funnelling off of the money wasn't going to the "right" people. I doubt if strategic or environmental issues were even considered.