• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
SNACR

Mobile Workshop

I'm thinking of building a mobile workshop as I've got vehicles in need of repair stored in various places so I'm currently brainstorming ideas for a solution. Currently I'm leaning towards a quarter sized shipping container that I would deliver to whichever location with a truck mounted forklift that way I can put it on the drive, in a barn, even across a field or whatever without having to worry about getting the lorry to access it.

I'm warming to this idea, due to its modular nature, I could potentially expand it to half a dozen or more different containers which I could then number and load the particular one I need for the job like a Thunderbirds 2 thing.

Any other ideas, however absurdly excessive, for hobby use will be seriously considered. I'II post some pictures once the build commences.

I'm also undecided on whether to opt for a roller shutter front, which will probably save quite a bit of weight or regular doors.

s-l500.jpg

The only thing I think you need to sonsider is how to secure each and every but of kit.  You don’t want to open the door to find all your tools and a bunch of screws scattered over the floor.  

Good idea though, looking forward to the pictures 

Have you ever seen 'Gold Rush' The thing over the pond for mechanics in remote areas is a fully equipped service truck. Personally I think this is a better option and with a tow hitch you can have your Thunderbirds modules too. Not only have you got power and air, you also have a crane. Obviously you would have to paint it green and put number 2 on it but you might be able to import something suitable.

22042302_1643575449032189_3641144291676280824_o.jpg

Posted (edited)

Strikes me these may become somewhat static and stuck in locations and if working in multiple locations you'll end up with duplications in different places or stuck without the right tools that are in another container. How much do you actually need to carry around to do the work you want to do - mix of hand / power tools,/ vice / workbench / jacks etc, welding kit, machining kit, spray/paint kit? 

Edited by onlyme

44 minutes ago, Long time lurking said:

Withams  quite often have them mounted on one of these   http://www.mod-sales.com/direct/vehicle/,26,/68788/DAF_4X4_Truck_5_ton_Cargo.htm

Went to look at one of those at Withams, very low ceiling height as I remember, would be unpleasantly cramped environment for grinding, welding or suchlike. Not as cramped as the armoured personel carrier though, jolly day out became rather sobering sat in that imaging what it would be like for the soldiers being shot at.

7 hours ago, Caravan Monster said:

Went to look at one of those at Withams, very low ceiling height as I remember, would be unpleasantly cramped environment for grinding, welding or suchlike. Not as cramped as the armoured personel carrier though, jolly day out became rather sobering sat in that imaging what it would be like for the soldiers being shot at.

That's what I'm thinking too - wondering whether a heavy duty trailer that can be moved around right to the point where you want to work easily with an awning might work. A covered work area right next  to the vehicle you want to work on, no major apace restrictions (outside the cover of the awning. Keep the rain off, sun shade in the summer. In winter can always wear suitable warm clothes but a bugger to get a steel cage cool in summer. Either trailer or dedicated van with awning.

Stand by for action...

It's too late on the actual module type it's going to be a 8ft deep shipping container with regular doors - don't think roller shutter will be secure enough and planning to use the doors and put storage racking on the interior and also maybe rig up some type of electric hoist to a cross member that could bolt across the top and add some wind down support legs at the bottom.

Hopefully going to pick it up from the port on Friday if I can clear my diary of work meetings  unimportant trivial shit it's filled with.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, SNACR said:

Stand by for action...

It's too late on the actual module type it's going to be a 8ft deep shipping container with regular doors - don't think roller shutter will be secure enough and planning to use the doors and put storage racking on the interior and also maybe rig up some type of electric hoist to a cross member that could bolt across the top and add some wind down support legs at the bottom.

Hopefully going to pick it up from the port on Friday if I can clear my diary of work meetings  unimportant trivial shit it's filled with.

Still think workspace and climate will be an issue in there - what about this - if you put all the machinery and storage round three edges then have a roller out out work table that you can bring out plus caravan awning  on front lip of container. The table will have to have some adjustment in the front legs to level it but you'd have a decent workspace out in the open. Also you'd be able to use a forklift ro get large items on top of the table easily as single lift on top access. Bringing the table out also gives access all round rather than having to mandate large items in the container.

Edited by onlyme

23 minutes ago, onlyme said:

Still think workspace and climate will be an issue in there - what about this - if you put all the machinery and storage round three edges then have a roller out out work table that you can bring out plus caravan awning  on front lip of container. The table will have to have some adjustment in the front legs to level it but you'd have a decent workspace out in the open. Also you'd be able to use a forklift ro get large items on top of the table easily as single lift on top access. Bringing the table out also gives access all round rather than having to mandate large items in the container.

I was thinking an awning at the front. I'd quite like to keep the container kind of stealth so I was thinking about it bolting on to the twistlock holes at the top. Ideally I'd want it powered as I think anything like a caravan one would be such a faff it would never get deployed. I'm not sure ultimately how much work would be done inside the container itself a lot of the time it will probably be deployed inside a building although I definitely might want to get it to a canal or riverbank to work on a boat but I think I will probably need a separate woodworking module another module that was a store just for wood and materials would certainly be very useful and make it a lot easier than having it all in the boat hull.

7 minutes ago, SNACR said:

I was thinking an awning at the front. I'd quite like to keep the container kind of stealth 

You could sell burgers out of it.

13 minutes ago, eight said:

You could sell burgers out of it.

Can't recall Virgil ever having to airlift in a fast food joint TBH.

Actually part of the reason I went off the roller shutter door on it was the pop-up shop vibe.

5 hours ago, SNACR said:

I was thinking an awning at the front. I'd quite like to keep the container kind of stealth so I was thinking about it bolting on to the twistlock holes at the top. Ideally I'd want it powered as I think anything like a caravan one would be such a faff it would never get deployed. I'm not sure ultimately how much work would be done inside the container itself a lot of the time it will probably be deployed inside a building although I definitely might want to get it to a canal or riverbank to work on a boat but I think I will probably need a separate woodworking module another module that was a store just for wood and materials would certainly be very useful and make it a lot easier than having it all in the boat hull.

Something like a fiamma type with fold down legs and guys would be quick, if you wanted detachable it would be light compared to a powered one and less to go wrong. 

On 26 June 2018 at 04:00, SNACR said:

I'm thinking of building a mobile workshop as I've got vehicles in need of repair stored in various places so I'm currently brainstorming ideas for a solution.

Maybe the most obvious solution is keep all your vehicles in one place....

On 26/06/2018 at 12:46, Duck said:

This looks sufficiently strong, is demountable and comes with built in pillar drill, lathe, power hack saw, workbenches and vices plus electrics. 

image.png.fd0aac9e435f6ff8695fad6da787159d.png

Heres another but no machinery ,but all the tool storage/benches  

https://www.bidspotter.co.uk/en-gb/auction-catalogues/wca/catalogue-id-witham1-10000/lot-34592f15-af62-42b2-b226-a921010b680e

Christ don't jump start this thread I've got enough on my plate analysing a million different motorbike options.

(This has temporarily ground to a halt because the trailer the forklift piggy backs on I need to collect the container with has turned out to not be in MOT then I had also forgotten I had filled it with a load of stillages of car parts but is on the cards to be sorted as soon - this does not bode well for the whole rapid deployment thing)