• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

Co2 shortage

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Option5 said:

So it's not all bad news then? :)

Doesn't bother me but I might have a stroppy teenager when he returns tomorrow.

Edited by Cunning Plan

Apparently food grade CO2 is a byproduct of fertiliser manufacture and it is low season for that.

Britains AGR Nuclear Power Stations are also reliant on CO2 as are a number of other dodgy manufacturing processes that require an inert atmosphere to operate safely.

I think there was an incident a number of years back when they put Nuclear Grade CO2 into Iron Bru.

Just now, The Masked Tulip said:

Have you tried pouring half a bottle in your loo? I am told that doing so and leaving it overnight leaves the loo spotless.

Yes. Or leave an egg in a glass of it for a few days. The shell will dissolve leaving a fragile squash ball like thing behind.

2 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

They can't make up their mind, can they?

I thought there was too much CO2.

It’s in the wrong place. Surely we can get some minimum wage, zero hour contract bods up ladders to collect it. 

36 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Doesn't bother me but I might have a stroppy teenager when he returns tomorrow.

Wean them off that shit and they may be less stroppy :)

24 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

They can't make up their mind, can they?

I thought there was too much CO2.

Got to be food grade. Maybe an NVQ in kitchen hygiene or something.

13 minutes ago, Cosmic Apple said:

Wean them off that shit and they may be less stroppy :)

Got to be food grade. Maybe an NVQ in kitchen hygiene or something.

Stands for not very qualified 

2 hours ago, 201p said:

People are going to absolutely bananas in this heat - it's KFC all over again

Could be KFC exactly the same again..  they use CO2 to asphyxiate chickens prior to slaughter.  According to the radio this afternoon one slaughter house already ran out today..

Just now, Libspero said:

Could be KFC exactly the same again..  they use CO2 to asphyxiate chickens prior to slaughter.  According to the radio this afternoon one slaughter house already ran out today..

Chop their heads off I say, chop their heads off, its all-ah deliberate plot you know....

Carbon dioxide is a versatile material, being used in many processes and applications - each of which takes advantage of one or more these characteristics:  reactivity, inertness and/ or coldness

Carbon dioxide is commonly used as a raw material for production of various chemicals; as a working material in fire extinguishing systems; for carbonation of soft drinks; for freezing of food products such as poultry, meats, vegetables and fruit; for chilling of meats prior to grinding; for refrigeration and maintenance of ideal atmospheric conditions during transportation of food products to market; for enhancement of oil recovery from oil wells; and for treatment of alkaline water.

http://www.uigi.com/carbondioxide.html

Our just in time system is about to be put to the test.

I didn't get round to buying those Iceland Currys....

All these places decided to do maintenance at the same time. I'm sure in their business they talk to others in the same field. 

How exactly did nobody point out - maybe we could stagger this ? :Old:O.o

I have my cynical hat on, but I won't say it just yet.

Is anyone a petrol chemist or work for BOC or the gas industry. I am trying to find a historical chart of CO2 price / KG or what ever unit it comes in.

My hunch is that the price of CO2 is extremely low historically. Low prices can lead to reductions in investment in infrastructure, reductions in stock holding, and eventually shortages.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, ccc said:

All these places decided to do maintenance at the same time. I'm sure in their business they talk to others in the same field. 

How exactly did nobody point out - maybe we could stagger this ? :Old:O.o

Yes it is weird, these are similar plants so you might expect management to contract out production to one of the others during a shutdown

Edited by Panther

Posted (edited)

This is a start, the industry's journal:

https://www.gasworld.com/co2-supply-crisis-hits-europe/2014944.article

---

Traditionally, one of the largest sources of food grade CO2 in Europe has been from ammonia plants. 

What has compounded the situation this year is not only the timing of all the maintenance procedures, but that ammonia market prices have fallen to a low and imports are available from outside of Western Europe that has led to European producers prolonging the downtime of the ammonia plants within the region. Also due to the higher pricing of natural gas – a major raw material for ammonia production - the margins in the ammonia business are not that attractive as well.

Edited by 201p