• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
man o' the year

Geocaching

Posted (edited)

Just wondered whether anyone else was doing this from here.

I just signed up and made first find today. It will be great for kids over summer holidays and it free! (I know you can pay for premium membership but seems there is lots of things to do without paying anything.

Edited by man o' the year
spelling

I signed up last year, thought it was something I could do with the Mrs as we like walking/exploring together but she found it too nerdy and soon got bored where as I enjoyed it.  I haven't got kids but would imagine they would love it, anything that gets people outdoors and active is good is my book.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I walk a lot now that i've given up my car so this should be fun. 

As I don't intend to have children I have considered leaving my cash/exchange into PM's and setting up a treasure hunt. Will depend if I still have a partner or not I guess :D

Have friends who spend time doing this.
There's a few near us on Moston Brook I think.
And one in Northumberland near where my friend lives.  We went and looked! 
Have no interest in recording them though. 

Another friend broke her ankle geocaching on her own . Was exciting rescue as no one knew where she was, farmers sweeping fields for her by torchlight. Ambulance the wrong side of field.  Ankle completely fucked and had long wait in A&E - too polite to moan so that nearly killed her. Turns out a few years later she's got a screw loose in it and it needs opening up again. :(

I was in a local park several years back and found myself looking up to a branch wondering how on earth a flora carton got up there. 

By chance a day or two later I learnt of geocaching and was shocked to see so many objects hidden all around the area where I live.

At which point I swapped some depleted uranium rods in my garage for a 1970's troll doll and a paperclip. Last time I checked the rods were in a hanging basket on Salisbury High Street

Started geocaching when it was fairly new and you needed one of those large handheld GPS units (this was before smartphones with GPS), had to enter the co-ordinates manually which was a ball ache and you'd be walking around with a big yellow thing so got a few looks

etrex.jpg

I don't really understand what it is - when you locate the "item" (what is it?) do you keep it, or put it back to the next person to find?

7 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

I don't really understand what it is - when you locate the "item" (what is it?) do you keep it, or put it back to the next person to find?

What you are looking for is a container; which can be as small as a film case or as large as a Tupperware.

It usually has some paper or a small notebook inside so you can note a comment ("Great hiding place, Frank Hovis 27 June 18") and there are usually little toys for kids such as toy soldiers but you can only take something out of you put something of equivalent worth back in.

As an adult you don't generally take anything, unless you want lost of plastic tat, but the challenge is in finding it.

I noted above that it's particularly good for somewhere you know well because the co-ordinates only take you to an approximate location and then it's "Where could somebody have hidden a small box?".

You can go all full time on this and log your finds and hide your own boxes or, as I have done, do it once a twice a year just for a change to a normal walk.

1 hour ago, spunko2010 said:

It depends.

So let’s see if I’ve got the gist of this:

The GPS gets you to within 10m of a partially hidden plastic box full of discarded plastic toys?

mmh. Not feeling it.

Sounds like a crappier version of Pokémon Go, but without the crowds of Japanese nerds.

4 minutes ago, Captain Cavey said:

The GPS gets you to within 10m of a partially hidden plastic box full of discarded plastic toys?

mmh. Not feeling it.

Sounds like a crappier version of Pokémon Go, but without the crowds of Japanese nerds.

It's what you make it.

It's something the whole family can do together locally to make walks more interesting for the kids or you can do it in a completist way trying to get all of them in a particular county and then onto the next one; I knew a couple (no kids) for whom this was their main hobby and they travelled for it and created their own caches.

My main recreation is ticking off every walk in those county books of fifty walks you get, it's the same sort of thing.  Outdoors and exercising in a nice environment whilst ticking things off lists which we all secretly enjoy doing :)

Pokémon Go, whilst I don't do it myself, I think is great because it is one of the few things that gets nerdy male teenagers out of their bedrooms and walking about with friends.

53 minutes ago, Captain Cavey said:

mmh. Not feeling it.

I don't get it but I know lots of people who do: Admittedly they are not maybe as sane as me.