• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
wherebee

Mental policies that point to a breakdown in the UK

I got no paid leave. Had to stop working. Had no help. Nothing. It broke me emotionally and physically. I have never recovered financially.

Yes, you are right. It will be great for public sector workers and impossible for private sector workers or the self employed.

For fucks sake do any of these people have a clue?

Try having a useless sales manager that you cannot sack. You can make them (the position) redundant which means you can't employ another sales manager for two years unless you like court action.

Try having your other salesperson has three babies in 5 years. You still have to give them holiday rights whilst on maternity, and even let them keep the company car. They come back on three days a week and what a surprise every single fucking  prenatal, dental or whatever appointment is on a day they are meant to work, never their non working day.

These people have no bloody idea how it is in the real world. Twats.

Edited by Cunning Plan

Well, it is unpaid and the guarantee is simply to keep your work position open.

But, given how demanding and unreasonable the elderly can become as they get very old, it could well be a poisoned chalice for the 'carer' "You can take a year of work to look after me, I want you are at my beck and call 24/7, give me your life".

This could become essential reading: How to deal with difficult elderly behaviours

7 hours ago, Cunning Plan said:

Try having a useless sales manager that you cannot sack. You can make them (the position) redundant which means you can't employ another sales manager for two years unless you like court action.

Try having your other salesperson has three babies in 5 years. You still have to give them holiday rights whilst on maternity, and even let them keep the company car. They come back on three days a week and what a surprise every single fucking  prenatal, dental or whatever appointment is on a day they are meant to work, never their non working day.

Just change the name of the post.  Something like 'outreach manager'.  They do it in the public sector a lot.

30 minutes ago, One percent said:

Just change the name of the post.  Something like 'outreach manager'.  They do it in the public sector a lot.

+ 100.

Redundancy in the public sector seems to be handled in an appalling way. Redundancy is a last resort mechanism to save money or restructure and so it is vital for an organisation to do it well, and it is actually simple to do, you make a unit of work redundant. My observation is that the public sector uses or creates a redundancy situation as a management tool to target individuals due to not knowing how to sack people. This ultimately results in a night of the long knives and the wrong people (the reformers) selected and so the organisation is in a poorer state afterwards, so the public services get worse and worse.

if you have a poor performing member of staff you manage them out. warnings, etc and so you can keep the post and refill it. Public sector management seem to not like face to face interactions and open conversations, which ultimately leads to a bullying and nasty place to work. People in offices next door to each other communicating by e-mail etc.

Edited by Hopeful

5 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

+ 100.

Redundancy in the public sector seems to be handled in an appalling way. Redundancy is a last resort mechanism to save money or restructure and so it is vital for an organisation to do it well, and it is actually simple to do, you make a unit of work redundant. My observation is that the public sector uses or creates a redundancy situation as a management tool to target individuals due to not knowing how to sack people. This ultimately results in a night of the long knives and the wrong people (the reformers) selected and so the organisation is in a poorer state afterwards, so the public services get worse and worse.

if you have a poor performing member of staff you manage them out. warnings, etc and so you can keep the post and refill it. Public sector management seem to not like face to face interactions and open conversations, which ultimately leads to a bullying and nasty place to work. People in offices next door to each other communicating by e-mail etc.

Agree.

i have experienced this form of mismanagement twice.  The first time, the organisation wanted to shut a department and outsource it to a private provider. They didn't however want to pay redundancy so went on a campaign to bulky the staff out.  It got very nasty as those on the receiving end knew exactly what was going on and rightly wanted a redundancy package.

the second is the employment of an incompetent member of staff.  They tried to get rid but could not seem to be able to follow their own procedures so the member of staff is still there, sadly causing havoc on my team.  xD

This interesting snippet of the labour manifesto:

"The draft copy also pledges to protect the right to "a nomadic way of life" and support gypsies, travellers and the Roma community."

I've been on the receiving end of their 'way of life'. It's bad enough that there is virtually nothing done about their abysmal behaviour but now labour is proposing to protect and support it!?

Words fail me. The people live on a different planet and can merrily go fuck themselves.

3 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

"The draft copy also pledges to protect the right to "a nomadic way of life" and support gypsies, travellers and the Roma community."

I've been on the receiving end of their 'way of life'. It's bad enough that there is virtually nothing done about their abysmal behaviour but now labour is proposing to protect and support it!?

Words fail me. The people live on a different planet and can merrily go fuck themselves.

The other thing is, I thought these people were supposed to be small in number. Half my home town is at least behaving like gypsies, which, I assume, is the measure by which you decide whether they are one or not?

8 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Travellers eh ?

Edited by Hopeful

8 hours ago, Cunning Plan said:

Sales manager is given targets.

80% of salemanager's income is based oncommsion.

If salesmanager does not meet sales target then they are sacked.

Or starve.

Only put child bearing age women in positions wheres theres back up from another member of your business.

7 minutes ago, One percent said:

i have experienced this form of mismanagement twice.  The first time, the organisation wanted to shut a department and outsource it to a private provider. They didn't however want to pay redundancy so went on a campaign to bulky the staff out.  It got very nasty as those on the receiving end knew exactly what was going on and rightly wanted a redundancy package.

I've seen it happen. I liken it to children in the playground, for some reason one member of staff becomes unpopular. Their work and conduct is picked on, scrutinised, criticised and generally found fault with. It either blows over or escalates into bullying. It's rife, it's one of the reasons I started contracting/temping/freelancing/consultancy whatever you want to call it. In some organisations I was there longer than permanent employees.  Nothing more than office politics, I used to send them packing with the remark "if I wanted to work with children I'd have become a primary school teacher"

My wife went through it once. It was very stressful for her, she lost weight (not a good way to lose it btw), she was paid for a year while she sat at home playing the game by going through the grievance process, the biter bit, and then was paid off with a compromise agreement. A year or two later the person who started on her went through the same process, annoyingly she received a much larger pay off, it was vast more than enough to retire on. Perhaps a tip for anyone who wants to FIRE.

Also as a general point employee tribunals find in the employers favour in the vast majority of cases; contrary to what the press publish

7 minutes ago, sleepwello'nights said:

I've seen it happen. I liken it to children in the playground, for some reason one member of staff becomes unpopular. Their work and conduct is picked on, scrutinised, criticised and generally found fault with. It either blows over or escalates into bullying. It's rife, it's one of the reasons I started contracting/temping/freelancing/consultancy whatever you want to call it. In some organisations I was there longer than permanent employees.  Nothing more than office politics, I used to send them packing with the remark "if I wanted to work with children I'd have become a primary school teacher"

My wife went through it once. It was very stressful for her, she lost weight (not a good way to lose it btw), she was paid for a year while she sat at home playing the game by going through the grievance process, the biter bit, and then was paid off with a compromise agreement. A year or two later the person who started on her went through the same process, annoyingly she received a much larger pay off, it was vast more than enough to retire on. Perhaps a tip for anyone who wants to FIRE.

Also as a general point employee tribunals find in the employers favour in the vast majority of cases; contrary to what the press publish

In the public sector stuffed as it is with insecure people promoted above their ability, the unpopular member of staff is usually the one who is employed and, horror of horrors, turns out to be someone who turns up on time, works hard, and shows up the others, which are pretty unpopular characteristics when being a team player is so important.

Edited by Hopeful

24 minutes ago, One percent said:

Agree.

Seen that happen; long established finance team so big redundancy entitlement but no longer required after a take over. I wasn't in finance at that co. so I was an observer.

This bloke randomly turned up early on morning, sat in the boss's desk and told him to find somewhere else. Repeatedly tore a strip off the senior staff telling them they were useless in front of the while office (they were in a separate bit, other departments didn't see what was going on); people were crying in the toilets.

It took a few months but the boss and three of the four managers resigned and a big chunk of the staff; they were then merged with another finance team down the road.

No redundancy was paid and the bloke went off to do the same somewhere else. I wonder what it said in his job description.

53 minutes ago, Hopeful said:

+ 100.

While I think you are right there, there is the addition that in the public sector the union movement is strong, it's virtually impossible to sack people because they fully know their rights and always stay just on the right side of it, any thought of normal sacking route as used in private sector (i.e. verbal, then written warnings) gets headed off at the pass. 

As said it seems that they make the job unworkable and force people to resign, the odd few that are very clued up may well end up at a tribunal, but as said that's not always the best for the employee and if it does end up in their favour possibly only results in financial penalties to the same amount as would have been paid via redundancy. 

8 minutes ago, gilf said:

While I think you are right there, there is the addition that in the public sector the union movement is strong, it's virtually impossible to sack people because they fully know their rights and always stay just on the right side of it, any thought of normal sacking route as used in private sector (i.e. verbal, then written warnings) gets headed off at the pass. 

As said it seems that they make the job unworkable and force people to resign, the odd few that are very clued up may well end up at a tribunal, but as said that's not always the best for the employee and if it does end up in their favour possibly only results in financial penalties to the same amount as would have been paid via redundancy. 

I agree, but I think that verbal and written warnings only get headed off because management are so ineffective or care insufficiently. I think one problem with the public sector is that, other then their salary, managers don't have any skin in the game (it's not like their company will fail or share holders will rebel) and, as the public sector will always be there, so will the managers.

In my experience, a redundancy situation gets invoked, the management (needing to distance themselves to be the last resort to appeal) turn to middle management and say 'give us a list of people' and so the night of the long knives begins as scores are settled and future patronages are established.

Edited by Hopeful

1 hour ago, gilf said:

I was a union rep in one organisation I worked at .  Often they had poor employees bang to rights and we as the union would have been glad to see the back of them as it was us that had to work with them and pick up the pieces.  Sadly, HR failed every time to follow their own polices and so the employee got away with it.  

Currently where I work, there is a nasty piece of works who bullies people but sucks up to management. She can also royally fuck things up but manages to blame others.  Teflon coated. Both myself and my team give her a wide berth but she manages to stick her nose in and has the ear of my boss who would rather listen to her than me or my team.  

We have been under resourced for years and it is now showing with my team either moving on or off sick.  I informed my boss that I would be stepping down from my management role in September. His response was that I wouldn't be allowed.  My response was well, it isn't in my job description, you don't pay me extra to do the management role and you don't give my any time to do it.  How is that going to work?   xD

8 minutes ago, The Generation Game said:

A friend who works in oil and gas told me of a situation where a bunch of employees his employer wanted rid of were all relocated to one rig in the North Sea (which was then subsequently sold to a different company). 

Relocation is another management tool, it doesn't have to be to an oil rig though.

7 hours ago, Sgt Hartman said:

To be fair, it's not like there's a party that condemn and restrict it [The way of life]

That party would get my vote

In fact any party that does anything to lower the vast amount of scum that seems to be around these days would, but I think "it's a feature, not a bug" so I don't hold my breath

12 minutes ago, chronyx said:

To be fair, it's not like there's a party that condemn and restrict it [The way of life]

That party would get my vote

In fact any party that does anything to lower the vast amount of scum that seems to be around these days would, but I think "it's a feature, not a bug" so I don't hold my breath

Quite.

If legislation was ever needed, it's to protect people from fucking travellers.

And how, exactly do they propose to further support them?? They currently enjoy every benefit we do despite paying the square root of fuck all into the system, schools, NHS, council tax exclusion, virtual immunity from the law. I mean for fucks sake, there's nothing they need that they don't have already. 

If their way of life is to be 'supported' perhaps each traveller should be issued with their own, government funded, set of boltcutters. That should help them on their way.

Wankers. >:(