• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Chewing Grass

I remember 1976 - it was hot - damn hot - and great to be a kid

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Caramac. You can still get them, if you feel so inclined.

plus we had proper pop music, prawn cocktails and flares. 

Kids today, eh?

Edited by Melchett

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First 'heatwave' I remember was July 1994. (was hot here in east anglia at least) The tarmac started melting on our new build estate and we kept seeing if we could ride our bikes through without getting stuck. They sent in a this crew from Birmingham to fix it, and one of them was a big black guy with half his fingers missing, which us kids thought was really cool. He just said he lost them to 'the machinery' I don't think he much appreciated being swarmed by kids continually asking him about his missing fingers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1997 was a really hot summer too. This time 21 years ago I had a 6 week old baby laid out in a proper pram under a tree, with the leaves shading him. 

Shame it was the same year that fucker Tony Blair came to power and ruined the country. 

So that's 1976, 1997, 2018 for great hot weather. Only another 21 years then and I can look forward to another hot summer aged 68.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1976 was a great summer 

We had a wasp nest near our house in an old tree stump, my dad threw petrol on it followed by a match 

Fastest I ever saw him run was when thousands of pissed off wasps flew out 

happy memories 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, PatronizingGit said:

First 'heatwave' I remember was July 1994. (was hot here in east anglia at least) The tarmac started melting on our new build estate and we kept seeing if we could ride our bikes through without getting stuck. They sent in a this crew from Birmingham to fix it, and one of them was a big black guy with half his fingers missing, which us kids thought was really cool. He just said he lost them to 'the machinery' I don't think he much appreciated being swarmed by kids continually asking him about his missing fingers.

Sounds like you were in some hick version of The Machinist. Like an inbred Christian Bale.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Battenberg said:

1997 was a really hot summer too. This time 21 years ago I had a 6 week old baby laid out in a proper pram under a tree, with the leaves shading him. 

Shame it was the same year that fucker Tony Blair came to power and ruined the country. 

So that's 1976, 1997, 2018 for great hot weather. Only another 21 years then and I can look forward to another hot summer aged 68.

1997 = Ground Zero! Little did we know.

Summer of 1976 I remember getting sun stroke lying on a beach too long in Douglas. Horrible feeling. Don't really do sunbathing! Prefer wandering. Sometimes sitting in the shade in a pub.

Those summers that lasted forever as kids, and were always sunny and warm. Salad days. Days of derring do.

Edited by Alonso Quijano

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Malthus said:

1976 was a great summer 

We had a wasp nest near our house in an old tree stump, my dad threw petrol on it followed by a match 

Fastest I ever saw him run was when thousands of pissed off wasps flew out 

happy memories 

xD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

1976 was the year I worked as a drayman, hard work but so easy to cope with physical tiredness as opposed to mental fatigue that I experienced in my subsequent career.

As I recall 2006 was a hot summer as well.

Edited by sleepwello'nights
2006 memory

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Malthus said:

1976 was a great summer 

We had a wasp nest near our house in an old tree stump, my dad threw petrol on it followed by a match 

Fastest I ever saw him run was when thousands of pissed off wasps flew out 

happy memories 

Another barbeque fail?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, eight said:

What was the result?

Game abandoned due to a fight over the national anthem.

1 minute ago, Great Guy said:

How many of you fuckers were writing to Jimmy Saville in 1976? 

How do you think I got the lotus?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.