• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Great Guy

Eastenders Ratings

The decline of TV is discussed a fair amount here. However when you look at the historic rating figures for eastenders it really brings it home to you....

To think eastenders is in a prime TV slot as well....

image.png

image.png

Doesn't seem to be just Eastenders suffering, they are all going down in viewing figures from their 80s/early 90s peaks (Emmerdale/Eastenders/Corrination Street). Format slowing dying with its viewers?

8 minutes ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

Complete mystery but women seem addicted.

Nope.

Maybe a nirthern thing but i dont know anyone who watches eastenders.

My mum watches corrie and emmerdale.

Mrs spys friends in the sw watch emmerdale too.

Posted (edited)

Bloody soaps...Its cheap and easy TV for prime time...The cash cow where they don't have to think about putting anything else on that's more challenging...

Edited by Dave Beans

20 minutes ago, Melchett said:

Why would anyone watch that shit?

For some older people it is a form of social interaction. Some studies with MRI scans have shown that peoples brains can act in a similar to way as they would when meeting a friend, especially if the person is lonely

2 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Maybe a nirthern thing but i dont know anyone who watches eastenders.

My mum watches corrie and emmerdale.

Mrs spys friends in the sw watch emmerdale too.

Emmerdale split, strangely two different age ranges, oldies pre-plane crash stopped watching, younger ones, since last three or four years, love it.

Corrie, nobody watches. Hollyoaks nobody watches, Pobol y Cwm no real following, Doctors, some of them record it!

I'm guessing soaps have lost older viewers by being too diverse and inclusive.   

24 minutes ago, Melchett said:

Why would anyone watch that shit?

Haven’t watched it since dirty Den came back from the dead 

good trick if he can do it again 😜

On the rare occasion that ive got BBC1 on, and i forget to retune before this programme comes on, i always feel a sense of shame and embarrassment that people can hear the theme tune blaring out, and therefore thinking i'm watching this crud.

Its happened during this world cup. Yes im a fucking snob.

The most charmless, dismal, bereft, programme ever made.

When last I watched this regularly, there was someone called Gita in it who I think might have been married to Sanjay.

Yet bizarrely I've actually seen most of two episodes of EastEnders this week. Not deliberately, it was on, I couldn't be bothered to change the channel while waiting for the dinner to cook, etc.

Some of the acting is atrocious. There appears to be a house full of women the head of which looks like something out of The Addams Family.

And the interior décor - my God, one of the houses had cream wallpaper with blue motifs and random bits of artwork which might have looked OK by themselves but as the camera panned around the room to reveal more and more the sense of repulsion became extreme. Oh, look. The hallway looks the same, too. Who the hell chooses those things.

8 hours ago, Inoperational Bumblebee said:

I hate it. Used to get sucked into it when it was on at my parents' house, but I actively avoid it now. It's brain-rot.

I dislike the fact soaps present real life as full of (mostly self-inflicted) drama, and I'm convinced they've had effects upon society and how people live their everyday lives. I don't want my life to be like that, but it's quite difficult to avoid people who think that's normal.

Yep. Nail on the head for me. I used to have a regular half ear for the Archers, but a few years ago they started turning every characters life into a "car crash", as you say, mostly self inflicted. In no way is it representative of ordinary people's lives (is an anymore superfluous?)

10 hours ago, Malthus said:

Haven’t watched it since dirty Den came back from the dead 

good trick if he can do it again 😜

So you missed Ian's mum coming back from the dead too?

It turned into an utter pile of complete farce a while ago for me. The body rolling out of the coffin that was supposed to have the money in... Thought it was appallingly bad taste and just not entertainment in any shape or form. I wrote them a strong email saying how it was a soap and not fantasy, although if they'd done a Bobby Ewing Shower scene with Ian's daughter not having been killed, then that'd have worked too.
It's when they decide a particular shocking storyline without thinking through any consequences for the entire soap or plots for next six years. Emmerdale did the same with Zoe Tate a very long time ago, she got schizophrenia - which is a shit way to ruin a character and meant that her character was thereafter deeply flawed and they'd either do it well or do is to they ignored her illness in an unrealistic way.

I liked watching it from a script writing point of view - *yeah yeah, I know weak excuse.

SCRIPT:

Ian turns to the door, he looks like he has seen a ghost
IAN: Mum? You're dead, what are you doing here?
CATHY: I'm back from the dead Ian, there wasn't enough money in panto

SOUND: DUFF DUFF DUFFDUFF
END SCENE.

TBH not sure what the future is for any TV that fails the 'would you buy a boxset of it?' test.

I'm not sure I believe the So-Called BBC iplayer's alleged 'most popular' list. I've suspected for a while the manipulate things they want people to watch up to the top.

I've never understood the popularity of Eastenders, it's the most miserable, grey, unpleasant, badly acted, amateurish, arsehole-infested thing I've ever seen on the TV. Corrie is shite but at least there is a vein of humour running through it occasionally.

Many years ago at an ex-girlfriends I was ushered into the living room with all of her female flatmates and Eastenders was stuck on. I gave it fifteen minutes out of politeness then said I was off. 

"You don't like Eastenders?"

"Nope. It's utter bollocks"

"Your just being miserable."

"For not watching Eastenders!? There's an irony in there somewhere. I'm going to the pub."

Apparently her flatmates were most put out that I wasn't a fan. I could live with that.

5 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

I've never understood the popularity of Eastenders, it's the most miserable, grey, unpleasant, badly acted, amateurish, arsehole-infested thing I've ever seen on the TV.

Stop beating about the bush and say what you really mean.

14 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

I've never understood the popularity of Eastenders, it's the most miserable, grey, unpleasant, badly acted, amateurish, arsehole-infested thing I've ever seen on the TV. Corrie is shite but at least there is a vein of humour running through it occasionally.

I take it you haven't seen Hollyoaks. I really do think that you could just pick random people off the streets and they would be able to act more convincingly.

EastEnders used to have, from what I remember, mostly very good acting and has had some cracking storylines. If you want to see those combined in an exceptional way, the scene where Dot agrees to help Ethel commit suicide is a piece of TV genius. Absolutely marvellous work from everyone involved and incredibly powerful.

But as you say, perhaps the show hasn't quite managed to hit these highs in modern times.

1 minute ago, DTMark said:

I take it you haven't seen Hollyoaks. I really do think that you could just pick random people off the streets and they would be able to act more convincingly.

EastEnders used to have, from what I remember, mostly very good acting and has had some cracking storylines. If you want to see those combined in an exceptional way, the scene where Dot agrees to help Ethel commit suicide is a piece of TV genius. Absolutely marvellous work from everyone involved and incredibly powerful.

But as you say, perhaps the show hasn't quite managed to hit these highs in modern times.

Dot and Ethel could have been my grandmothers. Long time since either of them lived in London.

Which brings up another point - its been a generation since indigenous Brits have been anything more than a minority group in the Eastend. Of course if the So-Called BBC were to depict the current real situation the show would be....  very different in so many ways. And wouldnt adhere to the BBCs narrative.