• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

Middle aged men ... = those retired?

News this morning - in between Saddleworth moor fire they squeezed in a bit about health and the govt interfering and how generally the public are in support (seatbelts, smoking ban, sugar tax) 

They then showed a clip from a men in sheds type project and the voice over referred to them as 'middle aged men' - and then went on to blather about how lonely men were when they retired - backed up by what some of the participants said about being on their own and this being the best thing since they retired.... 

Are retirees (seriously grey and old men) middle aged?

44 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

News this morning - in between Saddleworth moor fire they squeezed in a bit about health and the govt interfering and how generally the public are in support (seatbelts, smoking ban, sugar tax) 

They then showed a clip from a men in sheds type project and the voice over referred to them as 'middle aged men' - and then went on to blather about how lonely men were when they retired - backed up by what some of the participants said about being on their own and this being the best thing since they retired.... 

Maybe the subtext from the cliterati is that men should not retire. They should slug on so wimmin can retire from public sector no jobs at 60...

45 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

To be hones, my Dad effecvtively retired in his middle age.

Typicly of a lot of bloeks his age, he started worked at 15 (as he keeps banging on and on and on and on about).

Then went parttime in his mid 20s and moved i nwith his mum, which he does not mention but his sister does.

The met mum in his 30s, then after a large number of strikes, ws laid off ~47ish, never to work again.

I make that ~20 of FT job.

2 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Maybe the subtext from the cliterati is that men should not retire. They should slug on so wimmin can retire from public sector no jobs at 60...

They very rarely say it but it is miserable widowed men who have no other male friends who are lonely. (Which barely needs pointing out)

Not social nice people who are well adjusted and even tempered and can go to the pub with their friends.

One of the nutters on the allotment was almost friendless apart from some bloke he paid to do jobs for him. He wasn't a widow but I suspect his wife wishes he was.

1 minute ago, sarahbell said:

They very rarely say it but it is miserable widowed men who have no other male friends who are lonely. (Which barely needs pointing out)

Not social nice people who are well adjusted and even tempered and can go to the pub with their friends.

One of the nutters on the allotment was almost friendless apart from some bloke he paid to do jobs for him. He wasn't a widow but I suspect his wife wishes he was.

Again, thats normally fall out fro ma society that expects bloke to basically o work to support his fmaily, and, wit hthe current benefit systenm, several other families.

So they end up slugging to support a bloated tax base rather than looking after their selves and socilising.

Just now, spygirl said:

Again, thats normally fall out fro ma society that expects bloke to basically o work to support his fmaily, and, wit hthe current benefit systenm, several other families.

So they end up slugging to support a bloated tax base rather than looking after their selves and socilising.

Is it though?
My dad - a proper miserable old bastard - always had a group of friends he could go for a pint with. He didn't do it very often, but he kept in touch with them. 
He had a variety of hobbies, some including going and spending time with other people. 
Was he just lucky? Is the grim reality that most men as they get to retirement have lost touch with most of their pals?

11 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

Is it though?
My dad - a proper miserable old bastard - always had a group of friends he could go for a pint with. He didn't do it very often, but he kept in touch with them. 
He had a variety of hobbies, some including going and spending time with other people. 
Was he just lucky? Is the grim reality that most men as they get to retirement have lost touch with most of their pals?

Good point. My father is essentially unlikeable. Im not sure he has ever had much in the way of actual friends. But he does interact with a lot of people.

Myself, in contrast, I dont really like many other people. So I interact with very few. But I do have some very firm friends going back decades.

Cats and dogs are generally a great idea all round.

It is just the media looking around trying to find background material that meets their agenda of that day.  It probably has very little to do with 'actual normal behaviour'.

[My grandad used to drive around with a milk crate filled with empties -- he'd heard that 'delivering milk' was an acceptable reason for not wearing a seatbelt.  When normal people do that sort of thing to avoid a law designed only to help them you start to wonder if the law makes any sense.  The problem wasn't forcing people to wear the things, but using a decent argument to make them do so.  But here we are -- government knows best.]

1 hour ago, sarahbell said:

I saw that this morning on the So-Called BBC.

Their two main stories were that one (people like being told what to do), and women shouldn't go to prison because they have no agency.

Wankers.

xD

1 hour ago, Melchett said:

Good point. My father is essentially unlikeable. Im not sure he has ever had much in the way of actual friends. But he does interact with a lot of people.

I am your father Luke Melchett

1 hour ago, SpectrumFX said:

I saw that this morning on the So-Called BBC.

Their two main stories were that one (people like being told what to do), and women shouldn't go to prison because they have no agency.

Wankers.

xD

What was it, x% of women are in jail on non violent offenses.

Theres a similr percentage of blokes too, but they did not bother ment0ing that.

Then they they went on about domestic violence. and mental health.

Balls.

The female cons were just responding to leading questions.

In the case of DV, maybe the bloke were battering the women to try and stop them stealing ....

Im not keen on prison for non violence offenese. Its nuts.

It would be far better to force the offernders - male + female -in to commit based sentences.

*AND* stop their  cash benefits i.e. force them to live in a shared house in Hull or wherever, and to work for their keep.

As far as the big hoohaa of jailing women with kids  and whod look after the kids.

Trustme, you dont want to women who are in n out of jail, even on non violence offense, looking after kids.

3 hours ago, sarahbell said:

Phoowaor. Strangely erotic.

4DAD193200000578-5888863-image-a-18_1530

And I guess this could be Goodbye Keith, not that theyd have found him.

3 hours ago, sarahbell said:

A quick google shows the a usual definition of middle-aged is 45-64; at 65 you become a pensioner (well, for those currently 65 anyway).

3 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Phoowaor. Strangely erotic.

4DAD193200000578-5888863-image-a-18_1530

And I guess this could be Goodbye Keith, not that theyd have found him.

Are you my mummy?