DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Costa blames high street decline for 2% sales drop

sancho panza

sancho panza

https://news.sky.com/story/costa-blames-high-street-decline-for-2-sales-drop-11418268

Britain's biggest coffee shop chain Costa has blamed a drop in sales on the woes affecting the British high street.

Owner Whitbread said like-for-like sales fell by 2% in the first quarter, "principally from footfall weakness in traditional shopping locations".

However, total UK sales growth was up by 5.2% thanks to new branch openings as well as self serve coffee machines which are mainly in petrol stations and convenience stores.

Chief executive Alison Brittain said: "Our stores remain highly profitable and deliver an excellent return on capital."

Whitbread also said it remained committed to its plans announced in April to spin-off its Costa coffee empire from its Premier Inn hotel business and other interests as quickly as possible "to optimise value for shareholders".

The company said: "Constructive early steps have been taken in preparation for the demerger and good progress continues to be made on the core infrastructure and efficiency work that was already underway.

I am quite surprised that Starbucks etc haven't gone down the route of adding coffee machines into petrol stations etc. They've missed a trick there. At least if the High St stores go under they'll have another income source. Incidentally the 3x Costa Coffees within 5 miles of me never appear busy.

I check the local businesses for sale ads, loads of coffee shops up for sale from small operators to larger regional chains. Think we've hit peak coffee, where the high streets can no longer support 10 coffee shops all within 2 mins walk of each other. I also see personal rents/mortgages being a factor, as they hoover up and increasing share of peoples income coffee is one of the first things to cut back on. Spoons did good cheap coffee before they brought in the machines. Now I'd rather go without than fork over £4 for a cup at costa/starbucks.

I was in Warsaw a few months ago and there are five times as many Costa than there are even here. Literally every few hundred meters. They are identical in every detail to the UK ones as well apart from most things being in Polish. 

leonardratso
1 hour ago, Funn3r said:

I was in Warsaw a few months ago and there are five times as many Costa than there are even here. Literally every few hundred meters. They are identical in every detail to the UK ones as well apart from most things being in Polish. 

i never have any problems with the polish, i simply apply this and it works great;

image.thumb.png.029fd4d5d23812845663de68ad78b6b7.png

un fur der jormans;

image.png.aeeeda0234ba3ebfcf23dccf73c22b18.png

I love Polish people. They are as if you had taken a garden variety British person and somehow managed to give them a good attitude and willingness to help, with a smile.

On 27/06/2018 at 21:19, Funn3r said:

I love Polish people. They are as if you had taken a garden variety British person and somehow managed to give them a good attitude and willingness to help, with a smile.

surprised you like Poles as they are far more racist than the British. But i suppose they are from continental Europe so must be superior in your libtard SJW eyes.

3 hours ago, The XYY Man said:

Aye.

The Poles are the Geordies of Europe...

XYY

Aren't Geordies the Geordies of Europe?

On 01/07/2018 at 22:35, Banned by HPC said:

surprised you like Poles as they are far more racist than the British. But i suppose they are from continental Europe so must be superior in your libtard SJW eyes.

Last time I went there they were having a keep Poland white march through centre of Warsaw. Was very obviously the usual suspects though i.e tattooed skinhead rather than Mr & Mrs Normie. You're not wrong in general though for Polish who actually live in Poland they are fairly racist and I wasn't really surprised to find our office was all white. Still fine people though. 

Not sure what a libtard is but I am definitely not an SJW. Take a day off from looking for people to hate on? 

4 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

Last time I went there they were having a keep Poland white march through centre of Warsaw. Was very obviously the usual suspects though i.e tattooed skinhead rather than Mr & Mrs Normie. You're not wrong in general though for Polish who actually live in Poland they are fairly racist and I wasn't really surprised to find our office was all white. Still fine people though. 

Not sure what a libtard is but I am definitely not an SJW. Take a day off from looking for people to hate on? 

Did you actually see them in person? I can only go by what I saw on videos (specifically the recent ones), seemed more like the general populace rather than skinheads and football hooligans. The numbers where huge, would be a lot of skinheads xD

1 hour ago, Funn3r said:

You most definitely are a SJW coming over from HPC calling people racists for not wholly agreeing with you.

leonardratso

dat raycis.

Hows all this related to costa coffee blaming the high street for not being stupid enough to shell out huge amounts  for their slurry in a cup?

41 minutes ago, leonardratso said:

dat raycis.

Hows all this related to costa coffee blaming the high street for not being stupid enough to shell out huge amounts  for their slurry in a cup?

I got my arse handed to me a few days ago in the brexit thread for the capital crime of, er not agreeing that brexit was a good idea. So far I have been a twat, neoliberalist, a mong, various other things. If he wants to add SJW it's his choice:D

leonardratso

A mong, hahahaha havent hear that for a few years.

Why not setup a 'I dont agree with you.....' thread and have at it with insults at members who piss you off/you dont agree with but wont let sleeping dogs lie, then they can reply with even more insults and vacuous reasons why they are right.

A prize would be offered at regular intervals for most inventive insults. I dont know what that would be - perhaps a kick squaw in the nuts by lady sonia or some such shit.

On 27/06/2018 at 13:49, spunko2010 said:

I am quite surprised that Starbucks etc haven't gone down the route of adding coffee machines into petrol stations etc. They've missed a trick there. At least if the High St stores go under they'll have another income source. Incidentally the 3x Costa Coffees within 5 miles of me never appear busy.

Whenever I see one of those drive thru Starbucks they’ve got at the services I just read the sign as ‘get your unnecessary stop for a piss 30 mins up the road here’.

I’m not sure I’ve ever seen anyone stopped at the one when you go out of Fleet services 

StrugglingMillennial
On 06/07/2018 at 14:35, Funn3r said:

You're not wrong in general though for Polish who actually live in Poland they are fairly racist and I wasn't really surprised to find our office was all white.

So you went to a white country and it came as no surprise to find white people there, would you prefer it if they imported some africans to make it easier on your eyes?

23 minutes ago, StrugglingMillennial said:

So you went to a white country and it came as no surprise to find white people there, would you prefer it if they imported some africans to make it easier on your eyes?

Well yes it was sort of a surprise as we are a huge multinational and you can't move at work for various "diversity" initiatives all the time. We just now  launched a new BAME Scheme where unwhite employees get special help with their careers. There is always some project going on like this for LGBTQ or some other perceived non mainstream group. 

I think lots of companies are at same thing these days as I suspect they get maybe tax breaks or some other credit, also they can do press releases showing how inclusive they are. They are really profit-obsessed job-killing international monsters but a bit of nice sounding caringness and diversity goes a long way reputation wise. 

I am not keen on it to be honest as I genuinely have nothing against the bames and the LGBTs all that but I am fed up with effectively being penalised myself by not being a minority. I don't get any special priorities and so on I'm just left to get on with being a pleb as best I can. 

The point of my original comment, I was hoping that the Poland office would be completely all white so I could complain about the hypocrisy when we are supposed to be "diverse" and "multicultural." They obviously saw that one coming though and right at the end of the tour I did see a couple of blokes from Caribbean looked like, which sort of put a spoke in my wheel. 

I think you could have phrased your post better it sounds sort of sneering and nasty. 

StrugglingMillennial

Sneering/teasing but your post sounded like you were disappointed with what you saw, but thankyou for your reply.

Quite shocking how far some companies and i suppose countries will go just to get a few more bucks from a bigger audience, im sure that if polish people had given in to merkle the office that you spoke of would have looked a little different.

No Duff (troll)

Re. the thread title, recently had a £2.60 cup from Costa (not London) and it was shite.  May have something to do with it.

22 hours ago, No Duff said:

Re. the thread title, recently had a £2.60 cup from Costa (not London) and it was shite.  May have something to do with it.

Didn't they give you the upsell where you pay an extra 20p for their special blend? You should have because very slightly less shite. 

The only decent coffee I can find (and I've tried loads) is Kirkland (Costco own brand) 1.3 kg tin for 8 quid ish. 

No Duff (troll)
On 09/07/2018 at 20:31, Funn3r said:

Didn't they give you the upsell where you pay an extra 20p for their special blend? You should have because very slightly less shite. 

The only decent coffee I can find (and I've tried loads) is Kirkland (Costco own brand) 1.3 kg tin for 8 quid ish. 

Machine.  Do they still use people?  Talk about brand destruction and/or the usual dumbing down for profit.  Quality is mostly down to the bean.  Arabica the best.  McD of all people used to do a cheap one but not sure now.  Cafe Nero best for me, when they clean the tables.  Or my own, Aldi Java.  Just back from hols in Italy, it's hard, not just the coffee.

Interesting thing about diversity and big companies. My company, for instance, that shall remain nameless, insisted that me and a colleague of mine relocated to our "home country" (UK) rather than continue (in Holland) as they wanted everyone in their Home Counties, they said....  although actually he held an Irish passport, but no matter. however since then I have seen a steady stream of MEAs and EEs relocated to the UK and Paris. And before you say that's because they were needed ther, no it isn't. Our head office is in Belgium and the roles are international.

1 hour ago, No Duff said:

Cafe Nero best for me, when they clean the tables.  

I've noticed a theme in the supermarket cafes where my parents insist on eating of now leaving not so subtle signs around the place asking customers to clear their own tables "if they are able". Naturally some are stupid enough to do it, but as a consequence the tables are never wiped down. It's pretty rank.

No Duff (troll)
37 minutes ago, eight said:

I've noticed a theme in the supermarket cafes where my parents insist on eating of now leaving not so subtle signs around the place asking customers to clear their own tables "if they are able". Naturally some are stupid enough to do it, but as a consequence the tables are never wiped down. It's pretty rank.

Really.  But crazy to have to ask.  The old rights versus responsibilities.  Too stupid, programmed, disfunctional, etc to see they have a chance to improve their lot by improving everyone elses.  Same with those coffee machines - filthy.  That and dirty tables - I take the Trump view (imagine what you can't see).  We spend our money elsewhere.  No worth lowering our standards just to give the undeserving our money.

Archived