• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Cunning Plan

Defence spending

Debate at at the moment about increasing our defence capability.

Almost everyone talking about Russia.

FFS we will need more troops, but I very much doubt they will be fighting Russians.

No one seems prepared to mention the bloody great elephant in the room.

I will be very surprised if our troops aren't deployed on our own streets in some way within 5 years. And 80k of them isn't going to be enough.

2 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

Debate at at the moment about increasing our defence capability.

Almost everyone talking about Russia.

FFS we will need more troops, but I very much doubt they will be fighting Russians.

No one seems prepared to mention the bloody great elephant in the room.

I will be very surprised if our troops aren't deployed on our own streets in some way within 5 years. And 80k of them isn't going to be enough.

I am surprised that you say 80K. I thought it was only 60K now.

Posted (edited)

The PC brigade are the most effective restraining force in the UK, far more effective than the police or the army. They have the power to finish a lifetime's career and reputation in a heartbeart... for having the audacity to call it as it is. They will keep us all safe until it is too late, by which time our kids will all be fine as they'll be muslim converts too.

Edited by SillyBilly

2 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Interesting that so called liberal Macron agrees to that. They planning a war against us and the Italains?

'National service' these days means working in an old-people's home for 6 months.

I'm not sure what value there is in investing in defence..  how much would we need spend to have something worth while?  We are only a small nation.

Basic army,  few squadrons of fighters/bombers, few ships..  couple of subs.

I would think the most important thing now would be ensuring that what we do have works strategically in line with what our allies have.. because if anything kicks off in any meaningful way the only chance we have is being a useful part of a much bigger alliance.

Just now, The Masked Tulip said:

Sounds like she me social engineering. Bet it will be used to show different 'cultures' - i.e. one - to brainwash the youth. 

Yes, it's not what springs to mind when I think of national service!

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

For comparison around 15,000 soldiers plus a similar number of part-timers and police were deployed in Northern Ireland. That's 1 member of the security forces for every 50 people, the equivalent of 1.2 million armed security forces patrolling in Britain

Edited by Panther

3 minutes ago, Libspero said:

I'm not sure what value there is in investing in defence..  how much would we need spend to have something worth while?  We are only a small nation.

I would think the most important thing now would be ensuring that what we do have works strategically in line with what our allies have.. because if anything kicks off in any meaningful way the only chance we have is being a useful part of a much bigger alliance.

Wash your mouth out 

We used to have an Empire and we have nukes 

We are big boys on the playground and need loads of expensive white elephants to play with to prove it 

3 minutes ago, Libspero said:

I think, apart from having more soldiers to call on if required, there could be a lot of benefit to society if a lot more of our young had the opportunity to join up for three or four years. I would guess that for a lot of people, that time would make them much more useful and employable than a stint at uni.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Libspero said:

Well we can supply a large number of Admirals to anyone that needs them as we have (I read some time ago)  more admirals than we do warships, just checked we have 41 admirals and 40 fighting ships. I suspect it is the same with Generals in the army as well.

Edited by satch

1 minute ago, satch said:

Well we can supply a large number of Admirals to anyone that needs than as we have (I read some time ago)  more admirals than we do warships, just checked we have 41 admirals and 40 fighting ships. I suspect it is the same with Generals in the army as well.

To be fair, I think they are only meant to be at sea about 50% of the time so that is the right number plus one spare.

The chinese have probably stolen most our sensitive military data anyway...and will happily send on to a high bidder. 

Our 'security' services are far more interested in preventing the multi-culti shitshow our politicians have spent the last 50 years foisting upon us from boiling over.  

1 minute ago, Chewing Grass said:

Drones, shit loads of drones and a bunch of spotty nerds to fly em.

Anyone who moves during curfew gets liquidated.

Excellent. They could even work from home to reduce congestion.

I'm against most Government spending. However at least with defence spending we    get dividends back in technology. I'd also imagine a lot of defence spending very quickly goes back to the taxpayer via income tax etc.

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Malthus said:

Wash your mouth out 

We used to have an Empire and we have nukes 

We are big boys on the playground and need loads of expensive white elephants to play with to prove it 

We acquired that Empire largely due to naval power. British people historically were very dubious about letting politicians have a large standing army at their disposal as it presented a temptation to misuse it both at home and abroad. Unless you are a large continental power with significant land borders then a big army is an expensive luxury.

Edited by Virgil Caine

Posted (edited)

I have spent a lot of time working for defence companies you would not believe the incompetence and arrogance of both the MoD and the contractors. In my last role we spent millions without know what our requirements where, but progress had to be made regardless of if it had to be re done again.  

7 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

I'm against most Government spending. However at least with defence spending we    get dividends back in technology. I'd also imagine a lot of defence spending very quickly goes back to the taxpayer via income tax etc.

No you do not most of the stuff is years behind what is in the civil sector these days 

Edited by ad_ceng