DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Johnston Press - UKs bigest fuckup.

spygirl

Starts here, 2006:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/media/tim-bowdler-meet-the-real-king-of-the-regional-press-industry-412709.html

Share price had just peak @ ~£60, the zenith of

' From 1988 onwards, JP acquired declining businesses with no clear strategy, other than, to quote the then chief executive, Tim Bowdler, “local papers can beat off the challenge of the web”. '

Todays the SP is ~3p.

JP only services as the derbt holders are milking it of the revenue, so dont want to put it in admin whilst there is money to squeezed out.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

'As he joined, Johnston was already in talks to buy the Halifax Courier, its first daily, and more than a decade of acquisition was under way. Last year Johnston pulled off three newspaper deals in Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland in quick succession for a total of £313m. The deals included the News Letter in Belfast and a nail-biting £93.9m sealed bid auction for the Leinster Leader group in Ireland. Then the splurge culminated in Edinburgh just before Christmas with the £160m purchase of Scotsman Publications from the Barclay brothers. '

Today, JP's market cap is 4.5m.

TheCountOfNowhere

Have you seen my extrapolated graph for news paper circulation ?

If you extrapolate the sales info it looks like they will all be dead about 2022.

Not long to go.

29 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Have you seen my extrapolated graph for news paper circulation ?

If you extrapolate the sales info it looks like they will all be dead about 2022.

Not long to go.

About time that the So-Called BBC license will be pulled.

I really cannot see the So-Called BBC lasting, not with netflix and youtube.

My kids do *not* watch any live telly - mainly youtube and netflix.

I barely watch it.

I spend more tim watching Charmed repeats on 4 music than I do on any BBC programme.

TheCountOfNowhere
4 minutes ago, spygirl said:

I barely watch it.

I spend more tim watching Charmed repeats on 4 music than I do on any BBC programme.

There was a call to make the So-Called BBC optional license fee, MANDATORY, a year or so back, i.e. more taxation for the state propaganda machine.

Anyone who things the MSM/BBC/Government are their friends are deluded.

BBC Four is very good, the mainstream channels less so.

But if the population demands mindless shite in the main then should the national broadcasters deny them?

50 minutes ago, stoobs said:

BBC Four is very good, the mainstream channels less so.

But if the population demands mindless shite in the main then should the national broadcasters deny them?

But they dont, thats the issue.

Very few are watching the So-Called BBC.

IT reckon 30%-50% of BBC wacthers are OAPS i.e. dont pay for the license.

4 hours ago, spygirl said:

'As he joined, Johnston was already in talks to buy the Halifax Courier, its first daily, and more than a decade of acquisition was under way. Last year Johnston pulled off three newspaper deals in Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland in quick succession for a total of £313m. The deals included the News Letter in Belfast and a nail-biting £93.9m sealed bid auction for the Leinster Leader group in Ireland. Then the splurge culminated in Edinburgh just before Christmas with the £160m purchase of Scotsman Publications from the Barclay brothers. '

Today, JP's market cap is 4.5m.

£190m of debt, £4m of market cap, £47m pension deficit.

What great run up up to ~2007ish they had - spend spend spend.

And what a fucking massive fuck up afterwards.

Very Brownesque.

sancho panza

Leicester mercury builidng (our local rag) now houses a trampoline complex.I think it's printed in Derby nowadys but not sure.Noone I know reads it.

5 hours ago, sancho panza said:

Leicester mercury builidng (our local rag) now houses a trampoline complex.I think it's printed in Derby nowadys but not sure.Noone I know reads it.

Doubt it's Derby. The Derby Evening Telegraph building is now occupied by a yellow box storage company, with the now dreadful newspaper being written by drones and published in Nottingham.

goldbug9999
On 28/06/2018 at 11:33, spygirl said:

I barely watch it.

TBH the only people still watching broadcast TV are people who are just too old to change like my parents or people who are too thick to operate any sort of streaming device.

I now find it really irritating if I go into someones house and they have the TV on with noone watching anything specific.

The Yorkshire Evening Post is really just a Leeds newspaper with a misleading name. The Yorkshire Post does actually cover most of Yorkshire and is more of a broadsheet. Same company though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
1 minute ago, spygirl said:

And JPs  for sale.

Market cap of ~4m.

Debt of 220m

And it reckons theres value, after spending the last 5 years loosing 100ms a year.

Wow.

The end of the gazette I would think. I can’t remember the last time I saw anyone buy a copy. It used to be that every house bought one. 

29 minutes ago, One percent said:

The end of the gazette I would think. I can’t remember the last time I saw anyone buy a copy. It used to be that every house bought one. 

Gazette's a piss i nthe ocean.

5 minutes ago, spygirl said:

Gazette's a piss i nthe ocean.

True but indicative of the decline. They will be seeing this across all their local papers 

On 28/06/2018 at 20:17, stoobs said:

Doubt it's Derby. The Derby Evening Telegraph building is now occupied by a yellow box storage company, with the now dreadful newspaper being written by drones and published in Nottingham.

Exactly the same with the Scotsman. When JP took over they had huge offices in Edinburgh city centre. It's now operated out of crap rented offices in the north-west of town and printed in Glasgow!

Journalistic standards have followed a similar path to your Evening Telegraph.

Any of their websites being useable would have been a good start to getting some value, or was it the plan to make the websites so slow you would go out and buy a paper as it was quicker.

4 minutes ago, Kwygibo said:

Any of their websites being useable would have been a good start to getting some value, or was it the plan to make the websites so slow you would go out and buy a paper as it was quicker.

The problem is that there is no actual news in the newspaper. What is there tends to be factually inaccurate. 

Tfh mode, I’m wondering if this isn’t anther deep State attempt to undermine local communities. 

Archived