• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
OurDayWillCome

90's satire and comedy

3 minutes ago, OurDayWillCome said:

Brass Eye, Stella Street, Father Ted... took it all for granted at the time. Does anything compare these days?

Thank God. 

Someone else remembers "Stella Street" - I thought it was only me.

Top show.

I loved all the top-notch impressions, and it's difficult to pick a "winner" - but Phil Cornwell's David Bowie was the one that always had me bad laughing no matter what words came out of his mouth.

XYY

It is sad to,see how far satire and what passes as comedy these days has fallen.  

Father ted.  I watched an episode of that this evening.  Funny how we never see reruns of spitting image 

Don't remember Stella street. 

Comedy these days is pure shite. It's all the same stuff, you pretty much know what the comedian is going to say before they say it. 

It's become a virtue signalling competition under the pretence of stand up. It sucks.

Mrs Brown's Boys is pretty good IMHO although I accept that you have to get it and a lot don't.

Father Ted is up there with the best ever comedy series.

Brass Eye - very clever but it didn't really make me laugh.

Stella Street - left me cold.  I think Phil Cornwell is a superb comic actor but he makes me want to kick the TV in every time he reverts to that sodding Jack Nicholson impression, it's like older-version Freddie Starr padding out his show Elvis impressions or anybody and everybody doing an "Ooh Betty" Frank Spencer.  Just because you find it easy does not make it good.

3 minutes ago, One percent said:

Don't remember Stella street. 

Well worth a look-up - documentry style comedy following the lives of  a group of celebs living in a North London street. Everyone from Jimmy Hill to Marlon Brando!

Yep, sjw virtue signalling. They just have to get 'the message' across. Meanwhile anybsense of the comedic is out the window.

i want to have a laugh, not be preached at thank you very much. 

Live stopped watching what passes as comedy these days. Maybe it's just an age thing.   xD

1 minute ago, OurDayWillCome said:

Well worth a look-up - documentry style comedy following the lives of  a group of celebs living in a North London street. Everyone from Jimmy Hill to Marlon Brando!

Thanks, will do

3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Stella Street - left me cold.  I think Phil Cornwell is a superb comic actor but he makes me want to kick the TV in every time he reverts to that sodding Jack Nicholson impression, it's like older-version Freddie Starr padding out his show Elvis impressions or anybody and everybody doing an "Ooh Betty" Frank Spencer.  Just because you find it easy does not make it good.

I think that is the reason why it hovered around in the background - bit of a Marmite type thing. Spaced probably falls into the Marmite category.

14 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

I loved all the top-notch impressions, and it's difficult to pick a "winner" - but Phil Cornwell's David Bowie was the one that always had me bad laughing no matter what words came out of his mouth.

XYY

Their trip to Blackpool always cracked me up - Jimmy Hill banging the landlady's head through the wall into, I think, Michael Caines room. 

11 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

One man's meat and all that Frank.

John Sessions was also very good in Stella Street - particularly his Al Pacino...!

XYY

2 minutes ago, OurDayWillCome said:

Their trip to Blackpool always cracked me up - Jimmy Hill banging the landlady's head through the wall into, I think, Michael Caines room. 

Aye. :)

Can't seem to remember which one of them did Joe Pesci.

It was a canny impression whoever did it.

And my choice for the best impression in the world ever...?

Phil Cool's "Rolf Harris"

By a country mile...

XYY

17 minutes ago, One percent said:

Yep, sjw virtue signalling. They just have to get 'the message' across. Meanwhile anybsense of the comedic is out the window.

The one that really got me was Russell Howard, up until this point I'd quite rated him too. He was doing a show just after the Lee Rigby incident and brought it up (cue a few nervous intakes from the audience, where was this going?).

He began with decrying what had happened (fair enough) but then started laying into the EDL for having retaliatory protests. Now don't get me wrong, I have zero time for the EDL or their bullshit but, as far as I knew, the EDL hadn't run a car into some poor bastard then tried to saw the head off his semi-conscious body.

Off he raved, what a massive bunch of wankers the EDL are etc, etc. While the fuckers that actually did it! Didn't even get a mention.

Made no sense, why have a go at the EDL who, apart from being a bunch of knobs, hadn't actually done anything. Whereas the really bad guys don't even qualify for a mild piss-take?

He didn't have the balls. 

Edited by Sgt Hartman

1 minute ago, MrPin said:

The 90s was a golden age of comedy! I have spoken!

Agreed.

Chubby Brown and Bernard Manning could've sold-out Blackpool ten-times over every summer back then...

XYY

1 minute ago, OurDayWillCome said:

Last true decade!

He's a bit of a tosser now but Ben Elton's 'Tour de force' remains one of the funniest things I've ever heard.

"Double seat, double seat. Got to get a double seat..."

Just now, Sgt Hartman said:

He's a bit of a tosser now but Ben Elton's 'Tour de force' remains one of the funniest things I've ever heard.

"Double seat, double seat. Got to get a double seat..."

For some reason, of all the "alternative" comedians around at that time, it's Alexei Sayle that I am most drawn to. 

His BBC2 show Alexei Sayle's "Stuff" was perhaps his finest work.

The tour-de-force was surely Sayle's portrayal of has-been Scouse comedian Bobby Chariot in "Stuff"...?

And some of his set-pieces in "The Young Ones" can still raise a smile.

Shame he writes for some poncy newspaper these days - and probably pops round Jeremy Corbyn's gaffe for some pie and mash or jellied-eels every now and again...

XYY

Kevin Bloody Wilson. Took a potential mother in law to one of his concerts in Guildford. She started off very unamused and was crying at the end.

Also Jasper Carrott. I think I can still quote many of his monologues. 

I was a big fan of Lee and Herring and watched Fist of Fun and This Morning with Richard not Judy. I've watched the later recently on youtube and they're still funny.

I bumped into the man who played the curious orange when I was drunk and constantly referred to his as the curious orange. He was surprising good humoured about it considering and chatted for a bit and passed on some anecdotes about the show, however I would have told someone like me to piss off.