DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Debenhams:Death spiral?

sancho panza

1 minute ago, Dogtania said:

I checked after seeing news it's set to close.  Looking on website it's still business as normal even a message at the top states stores are due to open on 3rd December.

Link does say that it will stay open until run down stock.  Still bit of a risky proposition buying from them.  Definitely would be buying in store if needed something rather than hoping order doesn't go missing.

A bit ghoolish visiting the carcas all the same.  Not something I would ascribe to but I guess if I was criminally minded or a junkie shop lifter you probably wouldn't find a softer target when the stores reopen

Its being liquidated.

There's no rescue, no buyer, no value.

Stock sold off,  then shops shut.

No more.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Dogtania said:

I checked after seeing news it's set to close.  Looking on website it's still business as normal even a message at the top states stores are due to open on 3rd December.

Link does say that it will stay open until run down stock.  Still bit of a risky proposition buying from them.  Definitely would be buying in store if needed something rather than hoping order doesn't go missing.

A bit ghoolish visiting the carcas all the same.  Not something I would ascribe to but I guess if I was criminally minded or a junkie shop lifter you probably wouldn't find a softer target when the stores reopen

Yep, I would feel like a really dirty carpetbagger going there looking for closing down bargains, hard to look the cashier in the eye.

1 hour ago, spygirl said:

Its being liquidated.

There's no rescue, no buyer, no value.

Stock sold off,  then shops shut.

No more.

The shopping centres might still be viable ? I seemed to miss Intu plc troubles earlier in the year. 

as an aside business rates model will need fixing as reducing the number of businesses assuming the gov want the same income means higher business rates! (For those that survive)

15 minutes ago, Ash4781b said:

The shopping centres might still be viable ? I seemed to miss Intu plc troubles earlier in the year. 

as an aside business rates model will need fixing as reducing the number of businesses assuming the gov want the same income means higher business rates! (For those that survive)

Business rates are fine.

Rates are based on rents.

Retail rates ned to be falling.

if rents are not falling then theres a problem with the setup of the LL not the rate system.

• 1 month later...
On 01/12/2020 at 13:10, spygirl said:

Business rates are fine.

Rates are based on rents.

Retail rates ned to be falling.

if rents are not falling then theres a problem with the setup of the LL not the rate system.

Only a loose link between the two to get the proportions right, think @Ash4781bis right, faced with a sudden change in number of paying businesses the council would absolutely look to keep revenue the same and just change the rate "rate". Rates do need to fall but they would actually be rising proportionately with qty of empty units.

12 hours ago, spygirl said:

Boohoo bought the brand.

Stores to shut.

New trend appearing, British Muz funded by private equity or slave labour buying up old dying businesses.

2 minutes ago, spunko said:

New trend appearing, British Muz funded by private equity or slave labour buying up old dying businesses.

It really does look like that sometimes.

Mind you the, the Gelato desert things seems to have crashed and burned - or failed the scores on doors.

“As they say in poker, “If you’ve been in the game 30 minutes and you don’t know who the patsy is, you’re the patsy.”” — Warren Buffett

23099444-7860391-image-m-22_157839652811

itll be fine, debenhams is a strong brand known worldwide, its worth every penny.

i myself have spent millions in debenhams and will continue to do so even though it will all just be trash from boohoo rebranded now.

Like all my blood diamonds, its good that people suffer for me to have 99 pence flip flops.

16 hours ago, spygirl said:

Boohoo bought the brand.

Stores to shut.

Recent history the business has totally been hollowed out and now carved up with what just the brand left. Hope those Local authorities didn’t pile into commercial property.

• 3 months later...
On 15/04/2019 at 19:44, spygirl said:

https://www.thescarboroughnews.co.uk/news/scarborough-s-brunswick-shopping-centre-appoints-new-manager-1-9711755/amp

Brunswick features 31 shops with brands including Debenhams, Next, New Look, Topshop and Bonmarché.

All bar Next are in various forms of bust.

Scarborough's Debenhams store to close in the next 10 days, as it launches 80% off sale

Debenhams has announced that its remaining stores, including Scarborough's, will close by Saturday May 15.

https://www.thescarboroughnews.co.uk/news/uk-news/scarboroughs-debenhams-store-to-close-in-the-next-10-days-as-it-launches-80-off-sale-3225090

• 7 months later...

Archived