DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Debenhams:Death spiral?

sancho panza

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I called it to my other half about four years ago after visiting the one in Guildford. 

Bloody jumble sale. Crap quality and no real pride in the store's presentation. 

I think we'll end up with Primark, Next and John Lewis. 

8 hours ago, Adarmo said:

I called it to my other half about four years ago after visiting the one in Guildford. 

Just an anecdote but there are no Primark, Next or John Lewis stores in Dumfries & Galloway.

Until a year or so ago there was a Next in Dumfries high street. Next wanted to move to one of the out of town retail sites but the council refused so they closed the shop and left the region.

There is a Debenhams in Dumfries high street but every time I visit that town they always have a sale sign or some kind of offer sign in their windows. I go in for a look and never buy anything. Store is empty of customers, just a few.

I’m also not far away from Carlisle where there is Primark, Next and Debenhams but no John Lewis. When I visited last year for a look around but not buying I noticed that Primark was full of folk and a queue of people buying stuff at the tills whereas Debenhams was deserted and no queuing at tills. Didn’t bother looking in Next that day though.

1 minute ago, Van Lady said:

Just an anecdote but there are no Primark, Next or John Lewis stores in Dumfries & Galloway.

Until a year or so ago there was a Next in Dumfries high street. Next wanted to move to one of the out of town retail sites but the council refused so they closed the shop and left the region.

There is a Debenhams in Dumfries high street but every time I visit that town they always have a sale sign or some kind of offer sign in their windows. I go in for a look and never buy anything. Store is empty of customers, just a few.

I’m also not far away from Carlisle where there is Primark, Next and Debenhams but no John Lewis. When I visited last year for a look around but not buying I noticed that Primark was full of folk and a queue of people buying stuff at the tills whereas Debenhams was deserted and no queuing at tills. Didn’t bother looking in Next that day though.

You are blessed. Now, what you really want is a Costco. 👍. Brilliant. I love it. 

2 minutes ago, One percent said:

You are blessed. Now, what you really want is a Costco. 👍. Brilliant. I love it. 

What do Costco sell? I’ve never been in one.

Chewing Grass
3 minutes ago, Van Lady said:

Chicken of the Sea, French water and other stuff Americans like plus seasonal clothing, expensive gadgets and tellys, plus Scottish Beef from them shaggy cows with horns.

Great for the first few visits then unless you like buying the same stuff in bulk it gets a tad monotonous.

Just now, Van Lady said:

This film was (I think) set in Costco in America 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0424993/

not that this answers your question. It’s kind of a bulk buy warehouse and imho opinion it is all top quality stuff. Reasonably priced. The website 

https://www.costco.co.uk/

whats really good is that if you hit it right, they do food and drink samples. Free lunch 👍

Just now, Van Lady said:

^^^

Nothing I can’t buy elsewhere if I need or want it. 

No but some stuff it does really well. For example, I buy 1kilo of coffee Beas for about 8 quid and they are good. I’ve run out so wen to Lidl and a tiny bag was about three quid. 

They also have a fantastic quality wine selection. Fresh food stuff, cheese and stuff, is top quality and cheaper by far than supermarkets. 

Just now, One percent said:

No but some stuff it does really well. For example, I buy 1kilo of coffee Beas for about 8 quid and they are good. I’ve run out so wen to Lidl and a tiny bag was about three quid. 

They also have a fantastic quality wine selection. Fresh food stuff, cheese and stuff, is top quality and cheaper by far than supermarkets. 

No use to me though because there isn’t one nearby.

9 hours ago, Adarmo said:

And in that order

Just now, Van Lady said:

No use to me though because there isn’t one nearby.

You can buy online and they deliver for free. 👍. Just need to blag a membership. 

Just now, One percent said:

To add, if you are a local warehouse member, it’s nearly 30 quid, if just an online member, it seems to be 15. 

https://www.costco.co.uk/membership/registration/9999999-O

I’m out if you have to pay them to buy stuff. No thanks. I’m managing fine just buying what I need or want occasionally with no fee for doing so!

I’m out if you have to pay them to buy stuff. No thanks. I’m managing fine just buying what I need or want occasionally with no fee for doing so!

With the coffee beans (which are of excellent quality) I would make that back on the first couple of purchases. Then there is stuff like the industrial sized washing powder. That’s also seriously cheap cost compared to supermarkets. 

sleepwello'nights

We use a nearby one. Their meat is very good quality. The membership fee is easily recouped by the savings on just detergents, washing powder and toilet rolls alone. The big disadvantage for us is that some products are sold in multi packs or large sizes that are too big for our usage. 

1 minute ago, One percent said:

With the coffee beans (which are of excellent quality) I would make that back on the first couple of purchases. Then there is stuff like the industrial sized washing powder. That’s also seriously cheap cost compared to supermarkets. 

I don’t use coffee beans and use very small amounts of washing powder because I think the recommended amount is a lie from retailers to increase sales. Can’t see any reason to pay Costco a fee to buy from them. We live in different worlds!

5 minutes ago, sleepwello'nights said:

We use a nearby one. Their meat is very good quality. The membership fee is easily recouped by the savings on just detergents, washing powder and toilet rolls alone. The big disadvantage for us is that some products are sold in multi packs or large sizes that are too big for our usage. 

I don’t mind bulk buying for necessities like toilet rolls but I lack storage space.

I don’t use coffee beans and use very small amounts of washing powder because I think the recommended amount is a lie from retailers to increase sales. Can’t see any reason to pay Costco a fee to buy from them. We live in different worlds!

Ok, fair enough. They were two examples where they are much cheaper than supermarkets. As @sleepwello'nights says, the meat is excellent quality. On a par with local butchers. Almost. Have a look at the website before passing judgement. Would rather shop there than supermarkets. Only thing is that much has to be bought in bulk so you need storage for loo rolls and stuff. Prepper’s paradise :) . 

6 minutes ago, One percent said:

Ok, fair enough. They were two examples where they are much cheaper than supermarkets. As @sleepwello'nights says, the meat is excellent quality. On a par with local butchers. Almost. Have a look at the website before passing judgement. Would rather shop there than supermarkets. Only thing is that much has to be bought in bulk so you need storage for loo rolls and stuff. Prepper’s paradise :) . 

My idea of prepping for serious social unrest is having a campervan, water filter, rice, knowledge of what I can and can’t eat from the wild and an ability to use a dock leaf to wipe my arse!

sleepwello'nights
30 minutes ago, Van Lady said:

I don’t mind bulk buying for necessities like toilet rolls but I lack storage space.

When they're on offer we buy a pack, I think there are 27 rolls, the pack doesn't take up much space and are IIRC about half the price Tesco charge. Same with Kitchen towels. There are lots of non perishables that we buy. We have a garage for storage, that's why there's no room for a car. 

We also get cash back on the credit card we use. Did I mention the wines and beers are good value as well :Beer:

Just had a look on their website: Cushelle Ultra Quilted 45 rolls £11.98 That would last us a year. 

The other thing is they give a 5 year warranty on all the electrical products they sell.  

Just now, sleepwello'nights said:

When they're on offer we buy a pack, I think there are 27 rolls, the pack doesn't take up much space and are IIRC about half the price Tesco charge. Same with Kitchen towels. There are lots of non perishables that we buy. We have a garage for storage, that's why there's no room for a car. 

We also get cash back on the credit card we use. Did I mention the wines and beers are good value as well :Beer:

If you don’t mind me asking, which is you local one?  

sleepwello'nights
2 minutes ago, One percent said:

If you don’t mind me asking, which is you local one?  

We've got two about the same distance from us, Reading and Farnborough.

15 minutes ago, sleepwello'nights said:

We've got two about the same distance from us, Reading and Farnborough.

Ta. I’ve got Chingford, Stevenage and lakeside. Go ooop north and there are not many. 

16 hours ago, One percent said:

Second that - I joined to get all set for a big summer party last year. Meat, booze, snacks, plastic cutlery (I wanted wooden for ecomental reasons but only managed compostable plates on that front). The prosecco was brilliant (good job since we bought tonnes of it) very dry which is how I like most of my drinks. 

Problem is it's a cheap shop on a unit by unit basis but you end up spending a fortune because you end up buying this and that and the other.... they're very good at making a compelling proposition for large ticket items like TVs, or Hot Tub pagodas etc. You don't need it until you see it :D 

2 hours ago, Adarmo said:

Second that - I joined to get all set for a big summer party last year. Meat, booze, snacks, plastic cutlery (I wanted wooden for ecomental reasons but only managed compostable plates on that front). The prosecco was brilliant (good job since we bought tonnes of it) very dry which is how I like most of my drinks. 

Problem is it's a cheap shop on a unit by unit basis but you end up spending a fortune because you end up buying this and that and the other.... they're very good at making a compelling proposition for large ticket items like TVs, or Hot Tub pagodas etc. You don't need it until you see it :D 

It’s like an aladins  (sp?) cave. :)

Archived