DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Debenhams:Death spiral?

sancho panza

DownwardSpiral

Cardiff is also unusual in the sense that it has three department stores practically next door to each other. John Lewis, Debenhams and House of Fraser. For the time being only one of those has any customers. JL Cardiff will probably survive the company’s upcoming cull.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 07/05/2020 at 14:40, DownwardSpiral said:

Debenhams Cardiff has more staff than customers. I think it has got to go. Then leads to the question will the retail space be subsequently filled?

nope they will be converted into flats..

we don't need jobs just housing ponzi and mcdonalds delivery and benefits 

• 2 months later...
sancho panza

someone told me john lewis brimingham closing

brum mayor andy street,clearly not not a retailer.

https://www.standard.co.uk/business/john-lewis-birmingham-store-closure-jobs-a4505556.html

The chairman of John Lewis has insisted announcing the controversial closure of its flagship Birmingham store is not a rent negotiation tactic, as she prepares to meet the West Midlands’ mayor and the chain’s former boss Andy Street.

John Lewis said earlier this month that it would close eight stores, putting 1300 jobs at risk. Birmingham, along with Watford, was one of two “full service” department stores that won’t reopen. It employs 399 staff.

The closure has political significance as the shop was opened to great fanfare in the Grand Central development by Street in 2015, and built him political capital ahead of his successful run to become the city’s metro mayor in 2017. Street said the decision “risks being a dreadful mistake”.

8 hours ago, sancho panza said:

someone told me john lewis brimingham closing

brum mayor andy street,clearly not not a retailer.

https://www.standard.co.uk/business/john-lewis-birmingham-store-closure-jobs-a4505556.html

The chairman of John Lewis has insisted announcing the controversial closure of its flagship Birmingham store is not a rent negotiation tactic, as she prepares to meet the West Midlands’ mayor and the chain’s former boss Andy Street.

John Lewis said earlier this month that it would close eight stores, putting 1300 jobs at risk. Birmingham, along with Watford, was one of two “full service” department stores that won’t reopen. It employs 399 staff.

The closure has political significance as the shop was opened to great fanfare in the Grand Central development by Street in 2015, and built him political capital ahead of his successful run to become the city’s metro mayor in 2017. Street said the decision “risks being a dreadful mistake”.

Andy Street was MD of JL ...

He attended Green Meadow Infants School, Langley Junior School and King Edward's School in Edgbaston.[3][4] He studied Politics, Philosophy and Economics at Keble College, Oxford, where he was President of the Oxford University Conservative Association in the Trinity term of 1984.[5]

. . .

After graduating, Street harboured ambitions to be a social work, but he was turned down by Birmingham City Council.[2] He was also famously turned down for the Marks & Spencer training scheme.[2][6] Street thus started his career at the John Lewis Partnership in 1985 as a trainee at Brent Cross.[2]

?????

sancho panza
14 hours ago, spygirl said:

Andy Street was MD of JL ...

xDI've jsut read it.You couldn't make that up......like I said,clearly not a retialer..........................

sancho panza
13 hours ago, spygirl said:

He attended Green Meadow Infants School, Langley Junior School and King Edward's School in Edgbaston.[3][4] He studied Politics, Philosophy and Economics at Keble College, Oxford, where he was President of the Oxford University Conservative Association in the Trinity term of 1984.[5]

. . .

After graduating, Street harboured ambitions to be a social work, but he was turned down by Birmingham City Council.[2] He was also famously turned down for the Marks & Spencer training scheme.[2][6] Street thus started his career at the John Lewis Partnership in 1985 as a trainee at Brent Cross.[2]

?????

jsut think he could have have been helping M&S into the FTSE 250 instead of setting Sharon White up for success

2 minutes ago, sancho panza said:

jsut think he could have have been helping M&S into the FTSE 250 instead of setting Sharon White up for success

I remember the good old days of watching “Working Lunch.” Must have been around this time that M and S announced to great fanfare their making a billion profit in one year.

One percent
21 minutes ago, Shamone said:

I remember the good old days of watching “Working Lunch.” Must have been around this time that M and S announced to great fanfare their making a billion profit in one year.

I used to enjoy that. Gawd knows why.  

One percent
10 minutes ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

Naga Munchetty.

Brilliant on BBC Breakfast.

There for life.  :x

Was she on  working lunch?  I don’t remember. Was she just as incisive and eloquent as she is is on the breakfast show?   :)

stop_the_craziness

I think Working Lunch also brought us the early televisual genius of Adrian Chiles

One percent
4 minutes ago, stop_the_craziness said:

I think Working Lunch also brought us the early televisual genius of Adrian Chiles

What happened to the balding dark haired bloke?   

sancho panza
1 hour ago, One percent said:

Was she on  working lunch?  I don’t remember. Was she just as incisive and eloquent as she is is on the breakfast show?   :)

she used to be on Bloomberg.

leonardratso

Didnt chiles defect to itv then disappear up his own fundament, or at least into a pint glass i believe.

One percent
5 minutes ago, leonardratso said:

Didnt chiles defect to itv then disappear up his own fundament, or at least into a pint glass i believe.

Didn’t he do a kind of portillo thing but on a bike, rather than a train. Without the charisma of course.  

leonardratso
8 minutes ago, One percent said:

Didn’t he do a kind of portillo thing but on a bike, rather than a train. Without the charisma of course.  

dunno, must have been from pub to pub. He definately disappeared off TV though. Could have been the new benooy on the hollywood crossroads reboot if hed sobered up for a few months.

10 hours ago, One percent said:

What happened to the balding dark haired bloke?   

I thought he was chained up in your sex dungeon?

11 hours ago, sancho panza said:

MnS are are funny one.

They are still doing great revenue.

But they just dont seem to get anything like the margins they need.

https://corporate.marksandspencer.com/investors/key-facts/five-year-record

I think part of it is that retail bosses are shit. Clueless. Their only answer is open more shops/sqfootage.

MnS really dropped the balls on internet sales/interface.

6 minutes ago, spygirl said:

MnS are are funny one.

They are still doing great revenue.

But they just dont seem to get anything like the margins they need.

https://corporate.marksandspencer.com/investors/key-facts/five-year-record

I think part of it is that retail bosses are shit. Clueless. Their only answer is open more shops/sqfootage.

MnS really dropped the balls on internet sales/interface.

They don't know who they want to be, so spend all their time alternating between their core demographic (who are less in number every year) and trying to get exciting new customers (who don't actually ever want to shop there) -- these two groups are mainly mutually exclusive, so the exercise is doomed from the start (what other businesses do is create new brands for new customer types, but M&S can't do that as they are the brand).

Archived