DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Debenhams:Death spiral?

sancho panza

One percent
1 hour ago, The Masked Tulip said:

The closest my local Debenhams has to a bondage dungeon are the crampons in the Craghoppers section.

That’s what you think. You just haven’t been invited into the inner circle. It’s a bit like stealth but with whips. 

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Masked Tulip
1 minute ago, One percent said:

That’s what you think. You just haven’t been invited into the inner circle. It’s a bit like stealth but with whips. 

That will teach me for shopping at M&S.

• 2 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, spygirl said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53733929

Struggling department store group Debenhams says it will cut 2,500 more jobs as it struggles to survive the coronavirus pandemic.

This is on top of the 4,000 announced since May, meaning the retailer will have cut a third of its workforce.

The cuts will be mainly across its UK stores and distribution centre, but it said no new shops were slated to shut.

---

What this means is that there will be fewer people working in stores. This means the "customer experience" will likely suffer. Shelves will be more difficult to keep tidy and full of stock, cleaning may not be carried as much, people may struggle to find somewhere to pay, which is a general bug bear of any bricks and mortar shop these days.

It's just a horrible spiral, which will drive more people to the internet to buy things.

DownwardSpiral
1 hour ago, 201p said:

The cuts will be mainly across its UK stores and distribution centre, but it said no new shops were slated to shut.

---

What this means is that there will be fewer people working in stores. This means the "customer experience" will likely suffer. Shelves will be more difficult to keep tidy and full of stock, cleaning may not be carried as much, people may struggle to find somewhere to pay, which is a general bug bear of any bricks and mortar shop these days.

It's just a horrible spiral, which will drive more people to the internet to buy things.

Except for Debenhams, the number of staff will still be greater than the number of customers at any one time! The footfall at the Cardiff store is so low. The Welsh Govt should have just backed itself and put that store out of its misery quickly. Instead it is a lingering painful death.

The next generation of shoppers aren't going to these big stores anymore. It just takes too much time to get to what you want, and it might not be even in stock.

I don't have a local one to go to anymore, but I just wonder if your average Debenhams shopper has heard of tik tok. I guess they haven't.

sancho panza
6 hours ago, 201p said:

The next generation of shoppers aren't going to these big stores anymore. It just takes too much time to get to what you want, and it might not be even in stock.

I don't have a local one to go to anymore, but I just wonder if your average Debenhams shopper has heard of tik tok. I guess they haven't.

Nail on the head there 201.Me and Mrs P got hit once too often getting the kids in the car for a 20 minute trip to the lcoal motehr care only to find they hadn't got it in stock.now,we generally look online first.

death knell for the High st when people my age-49- are giving up on it.

2 hours ago, Popuplights said:

Debenhams are about to be wound up, according to Sky news.

Fairly obvious it doesn't have a place in the new economy/world. I think ultimately only the very, very high-end places like Harrods and Fortnum and Mason will survive.

The admistrator is just a standard but of process - we need this funding / restructure. Or we pull the plug.

Scabby has only two shops left from the 80s - medium sized MnS and Debenham anchoring a late 80s knock down n rebuild a a shopping Mecca. Failed

Rest of the town is barrel scraping.

https://www.brunswickshopping.com/brunswick-scarborough-appoints-new-centre-manager/#:~:text=News — Brunswick%2C Scarborough appoints new,as its new centre manager.

Brunswick features 31 shops with brands including Debenhams, Next, New Look, Topshop and Bonmarché and attracts loyal shoppers from within Scarborough and the surrounding area. The centre’s strong fashion credentials coupled with its dominant location in the town centre strengthens Scarborough’s position as the premier shopping destination on the much-visited Yorkshire Coast.

https://www.realla.co.uk/details/13304731

Anchored by Debenhams and Next

1 minute ago, spygirl said:

The admistrator is just a standard but of process - we need this funding / restructure. Or we pull the plug.

Scabby has only two shops left from the 80s - medium sized MnS and Debenham anchoring a late 80s knock down n rebuild a a shopping Mecca. Failed

https://www.brunswickshopping.com/brunswick-scarborough-appoints-new-centre-manager/#:~:text=News — Brunswick%2C Scarborough appoints new,as its new centre manager.

Brunswick features 31 shops with brands including Debenhams, Next, New Look, Topshop and Bonmarché and attracts loyal shoppers from within Scarborough and the surrounding area. The centre’s strong fashion credentials coupled with its dominant location in the town centre strengthens Scarborough’s position as the premier shopping destination on the much-visited Yorkshire Coast.

I can’t remember the last time i saw someone purchasing something at the tills in Debenhams. I tend to park in the brunswick centre and then have a quick walk through Debenhams, wondering at the prices.  o.O

6 minutes ago, One percent said:

I can’t remember the last time i saw someone purchasing something at the tills in Debenhams. I tend to park in the brunswick centre and then have a quick walk through Debenhams, wondering at the prices.  o.O

Look for people with chopping bags.

Sll the crappy councils do footfall statf, as theres a company that hard sells the system to them.

All the council have yo do is track empty commercial estate and get a weekly sales from a sample of shops. That'll give them all the info they need.

23 hours ago, spygirl said:

I'm surprised you still have the M&S. They've closed all the other ones except Boro and added a Simply Food nearer their target market (i.e. the posh side of town).

2 minutes ago, eek said:

I'm surprised you still have the M&S. They've closed all the other ones except Boro and added a Simply Food nearer their target market (i.e. the posh side of town).

There is some money left in Scabby.

Wins as its last non tat shop standing.

Aug 15: Debenhams's entire 14,000 workforce prepared for the worst as firm calls in liquidators.
Debenhams announced in April that they were going into administration, but the new move raises fears the business will completely collapse – putting 14,000 jobs at risk.
https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/debenhamss-entire-14000-workforce-prepared-22528525

A genuine risk, or just an attempt to negotiate reduced rents etc?

33 minutes ago, Andersen said:

Aug 15: Debenhams's entire 14,000 workforce prepared for the worst as firm calls in liquidators.
Debenhams announced in April that they were going into administration, but the new move raises fears the business will completely collapse – putting 14,000 jobs at risk.
https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/debenhamss-entire-14000-workforce-prepared-22528525

A genuine risk, or just an attempt to negotiate reduced rents etc?

Its a possibility.

All boards are legally required to do this.

1 hour ago, spygirl said:

Its a possibility.

All boards are legally required to do this.

And it's more likely than before as we don't know how far Debenhams's sales have dropped - but I suspect it's a lot..

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 15/08/2020 at 18:15, spygirl said:

Updated.

If Nxt arent getting the LL to pay *them* rent then they are not doing their job ...

1 hour ago, spygirl said:

I checked after seeing news it's set to close.  Looking on website it's still business as normal even a message at the top states stores are due to open on 3rd December.

Link does say that it will stay open until run down stock.  Still bit of a risky proposition buying from them.  Definitely would be buying in store if needed something rather than hoping order doesn't go missing.

A bit ghoolish visiting the carcas all the same.  Not something I would ascribe to but I guess if I was criminally minded or a junkie shop lifter you probably wouldn't find a softer target when the stores reopen

Archived