• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
JackieO

Clothes for short fat men

My dads in need of new clothes, he's 84 and not very good at buying for himself.

He's 5"4' with a large middle.

Any recommendations for clothes shops for petite men of advanced years, with very round middles?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JackieO said:

My dads in need of new clothes, he's 84 and not very good at buying for himself.

Any recommendations for clothes shops for petite men of advanced years, with very round middles?

Can't help I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum...5'11 and 38/30/36...have to pick up teen fits at Primark. I now realise middle age spread was all a lie.

Edited by crashmonitor

1 hour ago, JackieO said:

High heels and a  top hat, so he will look taller.

1 hour ago, crashmonitor said:

Can't help I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum...5'11 and 38/30/36...have to pick up teen fits at Primark. I now realise middle age spread was all a lie.

lol.. me too.  thanks for the tip!

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, JackieO said:

Whats you thoughts on boiler suits ,as i often look like one of the Bay City Rollers in work due to people of your dads build cutting the legs of the XL overalls 

1 hour ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Pretty much any shop in Llanelli.

M&S online is worth a try. They do short leg length with wide waists.

xDxD two particular turks are the cause of my problem outlined above 

Edited by Long time lurking

3 hours ago, Austin Allegro said:

Depends what he's looking for. There's an online tailors called Hockerty that's quite good, you just send in the measurements and they cut a suit, jacket, trousers, shirts etc for you. 

Thanks for the reply Hockerty sounds too fancy for him though.

The other half suggests Slaters in Manchester, I'll give them a try.

3 hours ago, The Masked Tulip said:

M&S online is worth a try. They do short leg length with wide waists.

Thanks for that. They do short sizes and wide middles, I just checked.

He really doesn't do clothes shopping so I'll get his measurements and get stuff for him.

2 minutes ago, JackieO said:

Thanks for that. They do short sizes and wide middles, I just checked.

He really doesn't do clothes shopping so I'll get his measurements and get stuff for him.

Read reviews of whetber sizing is too big or smal per iteml as M&S have lost the plot on sizing.

1 minute ago, The Masked Tulip said:

M&S have lost the plot on sizing.

and quality for women's/kids clothes at least.

Thanks again I'll bring a tape measure when I check them out!

Walk into any Spoons in Wales for fashion tips.

Knee or 3/4 length cargo pants, button or zip auxilary pockets. Colour: black, grey, or camouflage. Source: George at ASDA, Primark, Countrywide, BHS.

Ankle boots, steel toe, working boots. Colour: black, brown, mustard. Source: ALDI, LIDL, Screwfix, Countrywide.

Official Wales Rugby shirt, Official Wales Football shirt, typically from two or three years back. Alternatively, local football club shirt. Never current. Always bought cheap in sale after a new shirt release.

No socks, no underpants, never a coat, never a jacket.

Short, big belly, baldies, like Denis The Menace without the hair, or the dog.

If spotted wearing a suit, expect them to be in groups, weddings, Christenings, funerals, or if solo, interview or court appearance.

Can't go wrong, never out of style.

The problem is that we wear clothes in two parts, demarked at the waist. So we have to cope with matcing trouser length with aist size, for example.

What we need is clothing for 3 zones. Simply buy trouser legs seperately, and shirts by length, and then cover the gap at the waist by a cummerbund where we only have to concern ourselves with diameter.

I'm sure it would be a great look and that it would catch on.