• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Frank Hovis

Women's prisons being scrapped, replaced with "residential centres"

I am not unhappy at the majority of the thinking behind this - stick a potential career criminal in a rough prison and you make a career criminal.  I think however that the argumnet being put for women will clearly also apply for some male criminals and will equally clearly not apply to some women crinimals.

The line used even says that whilst it is applicable to more women than men it it is still applicable to men.  But that's ignored.

"The women who enter our prisons have often suffered some kind of adverse childhood experience and are more than twice as likely to need mental health support as their male counterparts."

So if you are going to spend money on a fair pilot then there should be similar centres tried for men.  But there aren't; because they aren't as important.  Only the women criminals matter:

“I want this strategy to be the start of a shift in attitudes to the way we support female offenders with greater emphasis on community provision. This ultimately benefits everyone – offenders, their families and the wider community as we see fewer victims and cut the cost of reoffending.”

This announcement is part of a wider national women’s strategy aimed at reducing reoffending.

How is any of that inapplicable to men?  Why is there no national men's strategy aimed at reducing reoffending?

Police and Crime Commissioner Alison Hernandez has called for a pilot scheme that would see new residential women’s centres across England and Wales replace plans for community prisons to be based in Devon and Cornwall.

Justice Secretary David Gauke announced on Wednesday a new strategy to ‘break the cycle’ of female offending – placing community services at the heart of the government’s response.

The Ministry of Justice has committed to investing in a ‘residential women’s centre’ pilot in at least five sites across England and Wales, and Ms Hernandez has called for one of the centres to be based in Devon and Cornwall.

It comes as currently any women from Devon, Cornwall or the Isles of Scilly who are sentenced to time in prison are remanded in Gloucestershire.

Ms Hernandez, welcoming the announcement, said: ““I am really excited that the MOJ have announced plans to trial five residential centres for drug and alcohol rehabilitation, educational support and finding work and this is particularly focused for women.

“It is clear that short custodial sentences are not working for women – they can exacerbate the social and psychological problems known to underpin female offending.

“Evidence shows that the reasons for female offending are different, and the types of offences that women commit are different so we need to tailor our approach accordingly.

“The women who enter our prisons have often suffered some kind of adverse childhood experience and are more than twice as likely to need mental health support as their male counterparts.

http://www.falmouthpacket.co.uk/news/16322811.womens-residential-centre-call-for-devon-and-cornwall/?ref=rss

I suppose as ever there is a loophole - violent male criminals just identify as women and bingo - tea and biscuits and housed with lots of women.

Posted (edited)

I saw an article on this on the So-Called BBC breakfast show the other day, and mentioned it in another thread at the time (can't remember which).

They appeared to be saying that you shouldn't put women in prison because nothing is ever their fault because they have no agency. They also mentioned that as it stands only 5% of the prison population are women.

I await the feminist outrage at the different treatment of men and women in the judicial system, and the campaign to equalise the prison population to.a 50/50 gender split.

Perhaps the police are institutionally sexist, and that's why they arrest more men than women?

xD

Edited by SpectrumFX

Posted (edited)

As a white middle-aged slightly balding male, I'm increasing feeling that society's attitude to me is 'Pay up and drop dead'.

Edit to add: A decade ago I wouldn't have considered the 'white' part of the description to be necessary, it wasn't important to me. Thank you racist SJWs.

Edited by Kilham

17 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I am not unhappy at the majority of the thinking behind this - stick a potential career criminal in a rough prison and you make a career criminal.  I think however that the argumnet being put for women will clearly also apply for some male criminals and will equally clearly not apply to some women crinimals.

The line used even says that whilst it is applicable to more women than men it it is still applicable to men.  But that's ignored.

So if you are going to spend money on a fair pilot then there should be similar centres tried for men.  But there aren't; because they aren't as important.  Only the women criminals matter:

How is any of that inapplicable to men?  Why is there no national men's strategy aimed at reducing reoffending?

http://www.falmouthpacket.co.uk/news/16322811.womens-residential-centre-call-for-devon-and-cornwall/?ref=rss

I suppose as ever there is a loophole - violent male criminals just identify as women and bingo - tea and biscuits and housed with lots of women.

This is already happening.  Men self-identifying as women ... housed in female jail ... promptly shagging the female prisoners

Isn't Ian Huntley being granted funds for gender reassignment or some shit?

4 minutes ago, SpectrumFX said:

I saw an article on this on the So-Called BBC breakfast show the other day, and mentioned it in another thread at the time (can't remember which).

They appeared to be saying that you shouldn't put women in prison because nothing is ever their fault because they have no agency. They also mentioned that as it stands only 5% of the prison population are women.

I await the feminist outrage at the different treatment of men and women in the judicial system, and the campaign to equalise the prison population to.a 50/50 gender split.

Perhaps the police are institutionally sexist, and that's why they arrest more men than women?

xD

I think the big argument for the differential treatment of women boils down to their usually being accessories; or "easily led" as it used to be termed.

But they're not all like that, this multiple murderer had a couple of easily led men doing her bidding:

dennehy_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqQTAoG9Ka6ECxCV

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peterborough_ditch_murders

So what you really want is a strong distinction between violent  and non-violent criminals and those who are the leaders in criminal activities and those who are the followers whether because of some duress or not.

I fully accept that if you split criminals up like that then the majority in the non-violent / followers camp would be women.  That is not however a reason to treat ALL women differently and ignore the men who are in that same non-violent / followers section.

The narrative seem to be heading to the only genuine bad in the bone criminals being men as all women have an excuse somewhere if only they can remember to fabricate it; usually the fault of men of course.

That such thinking is now guidng government policy is terrifying and ignores the reality for these "weaker" criminlas in tough priuosn.

Exeter regulalry pops up on the local news because of sucides and self harm.  This is a prison for those on remand so you can mix somebody who's done a business fraud with a murderer.  As a result people are not dying and I can guarantee it's not the murderers.  Surely sorting this out should be prioritised even if they are only men.

HMP Exeter, the jail where criminals from Cornwall are sent, has been ranked the third worst in the UK for violence and inmate self harm.

Figures revealed by Cornwall Live show that at the prison, four prisoners apparently took their own lives last year, while there were nearly 300 prisoner-on-prisoner assaults.

The investigation across the English and Welsh prison system showed that inmates were self-harming and attacking each other more than ever before, and that drug abuse was also a serious problem, with more than one in five prisoners failing drugs tests in some institutions.

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/exeter-prison-third-worst-uk-1030429