• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Bossybabe

The Good Old Days

This may all have been applicable for the parents of the “older generation”..  but just to be facetious,  don’t forget that all of these changes happened on your watch.  By the time we were born the modern throw-away world already existed ;)

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, Libspero said:

This may all have been applicable for the parents of the “older generation”..  but just to be facetious,  don’t forget that all of these changes happened on your watch.  By the time we were born the modern throw-away world already existed ;)

And will naturally revert to Bossy's OP as the oil runs out and the energy, plastics, and food it abundantly provides at incredibly cheap prices all become very expensive indeed.

Twenty years tops.

And this will start to destroy China's economy far before then as it hasn't got any oil; unless it starts annexing bits of Africa.

Edited by Frank Hovis

Well .... as far as ecology and all that ... its not washing bottles and whatnot, its cars and oil consumption that are the issue.

And the gross  population growth  of Africa.

Easy fixes.

Tax petrol @ 20/gallon.

Nuke Africa.

7 hours ago, Bossybabe said:

Groceries put our purchases into brown paper bags that we reused for numerous things. One use of brown paper bags was as book covers for our school books. This was to ensure that public property (the books provided for our use by the school) were not defaced by our scribblings.

A few weeks ago I was wondering what happened to those small brown paper bags? My mum used to wrap my packed lunch sandwiches in them. Can you stick acquire those? I'm using plastic food bags for my sandwiches at the moment which is very contrary to Sky's 'Ocean Rescue' battle against plastics. :(

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, UmBongo said:

A few weeks ago I was wondering what happened to those small brown paper bags? My mum used to wrap my packed lunch sandwiches in them. Can you stick acquire those? I'm using plastic food bags for my sandwiches at the moment which is very contrary to Sky's 'Ocean Rescue' battle against plastics. :(

One of the few things still made in the UK. 

I get paper bags made by this company, from time to time, you might have to order rather a lot though.

https://www.welton.co.uk/

Edited by SNACR

8 hours ago, Bossybabe said:

😂😂😂

you are a greyhound adoptee?  I have three:

586B6848-2600-4495-AA5A-5F59A5A04A7E.jpeg

Yes. Have rescued two, but they are sadly not with us. I currently have a timeshare one with the in-laws. Very much looking forward to bringing her to one of the beach meets on the Island.

9 hours ago, Bossybabe said:

😂😂😂

you are a greyhound adoptee?  I have three:

586B6848-2600-4495-AA5A-5F59A5A04A7E.jpeg

My neighbour has just aquired a retired racing greyhound. Seems to have a sweet temprament, but I don't know much about the breed, other than they need plenty of exercise.

My neighbour need a lot of exercise too, so I shall watch to see if the dog puts on weight, or if my neighbour loses it.

4 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Brilliant @Bossybabe - you forgot taking egg boxes back to the shop to get fresh eggs.

I still do as my local shop has them on trays, he'll sell you one egg if you wish :-)

8 minutes ago, Option5 said:

I still do as my local shop has them on trays, he'll sell you one egg if you wish :-)

Very handy should an MP happen to pass the door while you are shopping, or the Mayor of London

1 minute ago, Hopeful said:

Very handy should an MP happen to pass the door while you are shopping, or the Mayor of London

The eggs are too good to waste on people like that.

31 minutes ago, Happy Renting said:

My neighbour has just aquired a retired racing greyhound. Seems to have a sweet temprament, but I don't know much about the breed, other than they need plenty of exercise.

My neighbour need a lot of exercise too, so I shall watch to see if the dog puts on weight, or if my neighbour loses it.

No. That is a myth. 

They need less exercise than most breeds. 2 x 20 minute walks is enough 

They are known as 60mph couch potatoes.

She may need to get a second sofa though.

Fantastic points, @Bossybabe. Paper bags were great; and before that, you'd get a lot of things wrapped in paper, or put in paper cones made in the shops. I understand there was a whole class of conjuring tricks, based on the subconscious cues of "emptiness" when you flourish a sheet of wrapping-paper, that disappeared with the carrier bag.

There are a few things which should be better now - for example, for the 300W I used to spend lighting a house, you could probably light half a dozen now, with the efficiency of LEDs, and that handkerchief-sized TV probably burned a lot of power compared to a modern-day tablet comuter. However, we've all been bitten on the arse by Jevons' paradox since then.

36 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

Brilliant @Bossybabe - you forgot taking egg boxes back to the shop to get fresh eggs.

My mum still does that! She gets her eggs from the one and only real shop in the village and they give her 10p off if she brings her own box. The eggs are mostly laid by the owner’s hens which roam freely around the gardens out back.

1 hour ago, eight said:

Do not under any circumstances build a ride on monorail for your pet rabbit in the back garden.

Yep it was worth five likes in the first hour. Best of joke of the week.

@Bossybabe - your post deserves a wider audience. Not sure how - make a jpeg/gif of it and social media somehow probably.

1 hour ago, eight said:

Do not under any circumstances build a ride on monorail for your pet rabbit in the back garden.

I can't get this image out of my mind.