• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

One percent

Why the famous don’t put their heads above the parapet

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2018/jun/29/morrissey-pulls-out-of-concerts-amid-racism-row

Morrissey has postponed all his UK and European tour dates in July, his management has said.

A statement from representatives of the former Smiths frontman said concerts in the UK, Germany and Sweden had been postponed “due to logistical circumstances” beyond their control, but promised to reschedule the events. 

The announcement comes after Morrissey’s manager, Peter Katsis, attacked plans to hold an anti-racism party near the singer’s concerts in Manchester on 7 and 8 July organised by former Hacienda nightclub DJ Dave Haslam.

Reacting to the postponement of Morrissey’s UK dates, Haslam said: “I sympathise with fans who made plans to see him, we know what it’s like to be let down by Morrissey.”

this Haslem person needs to be arrested and charged with curtailing the freedom of others. In what world is this appropriate and allowed?

Clearly this Haslam guy never mentally left primary school..   but Morrissey's reaction is over the top.

He should have just carried on with the performance and called them all out as the sad bunch of tossers they clearly are..   perhaps if this creates enough media interest he will still get a chance to do so.

1 minute ago, Libspero said:

Clearly this Haslam guy never mentally left primary school..   but Morrissey's reaction is over the top.

He should have just carried on with the performance and called them all out as the sad bunch of tossers they clearly are..   perhaps if this creates enough media interest he will still get a chance to do so.

Mind, by cancelling it, he has brought attention to the idiot virtue signalling.  He has also cancelled his tours abroad. I’m wondering whether this isn’t just to get the issue attention. 

14 minutes ago, Libspero said:

He should have opened with a cover of this then changed the "Illinois' Law Enforcement Community" to "Haslam's Primary-School Field Trip"

Thanks. I've got Morrisey, singing that, stuck in my head now.

19 minutes ago, wherebee said:

find his house, buy the one next door, stick in a dozen rapefugees.  It's the only way these fuckers will understand.

Just tell them where it is and there will be free stuff.

They'll find it, break-in, and he'll never get them to leave.

1 hour ago, shindigger said:

I think i would now go to a gig, knowing full well, that i will be alienated from probably at least half of the audience.

Same goes for attending gigs as a punter.

Chill out it's just the way kids are. They are insecure in that they haven't had time to form their own opinions so they just go with the group. Doesn't mean anything. Very few people do like out and out racism but the kids have to go one better and keep on and on about it.

I remember when I was a kid I was very Green towards wind power and all that, used to have a load of stuff with that "Nuclear power no thanks" sunny face. Took me years to recognise that nuclear is probably the only way to fulfil our power requirements unless we all want to go Amish. 

1 minute ago, Funn3r said:

Chill out it's just the way kids are. They are insecure in that they haven't had time to form their own opinions so they just go with the group. Doesn't mean anything. Very few people do like out and out racism but the kids have to go one better and keep on and on about it.

I remember when I was a kid I was very Green towards wind power and all that, used to have a load of stuff with that "Nuclear power no thanks" sunny face. Took me years to recognise that nuclear is probably the only way to fulfil our power requirements unless we all want to go Amish. 

Yes but back then that was very much counter culture. I was of a similar-ish mind.

But what we have now, is being portrayed as "normal" correct thought, from every stinking orifice the MSM can muster.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

I don't think any of the people involved in this spat could be remotely described as 'kids' in age terms.

David Haslam who is organising the protest event must easily be as old as Morrisey as he was at University in Manchester in the 1980s

I think free publicity seeking all round is the name of the game here.

Edited by Virgil Caine

2 minutes ago, Virgil Caine said:

I don't think any of the people involved in this spat could be remotely described as 'kids'.

David Haslam who is organising the protest event must easily be as old as Morrisey as he was at University in Manchester in the 1980s

I think free publicity seeking all round is the name of the game here.

Just like that peoples fucking poet that keeps rocking up everywhere.

Rick Mayall saw you coming mate.

1 hour ago, Bedrag Justesen said:

#OneLove

*Not Really

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, shindigger said:

Just like that peoples fucking poet that keeps rocking up everywhere.

Rick Mayall saw you coming mate.

*Not Really

Definitely a fight between fifty plus year old men.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/whats-on/music-nightlife-news/dave-haslam-book-sonic-youth-14271498

Edited by Virgil Caine

Can someone explain it to me in simple words? Growing up near Manchester I obviously heard of the Hacienda but not this DJ Haslam. I heard of Morrisey but know nothing about them. 

What's the spat about, this DJ is having an anti racism on purpose against Morrisey, do they have like a white supremacy following? Seems a bit unlikely to just fold the tent and say no concert then ; is there something more to it. 

9 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

Can someone explain it to me in simple words? Growing up near Manchester I obviously heard of the Hacienda but not this DJ Haslam. I heard of Morrisey but know nothing about them. 

What's the spat about, this DJ is having an anti racism on purpose against Morrisey, do they have like a white supremacy following? Seems a bit unlikely to just fold the tent and say no concert then ; is there something more to it. 

It is about people who were once significant in the music business but whose time has passed.

It is about people who are stuck endlessly recycling their youth in order to pay their bills

1 minute ago, Virgil Caine said:

It is about people who were once significant in the music business but whose time has passed.

It is about people who are stuck endlessly recycling their youth in order to pay their bills

When I was a kid I liked metal but especially Hawkwind and Sabbath. Ozzy is only a bit older than me but he can go on forever as far as I'm concerned. Course there are plenty whose career should have been strangled at birth anyway. 

7 minutes ago, billfunk said:

Fuck it, Europe doesn't deserve Morrissey anymore.

There Is a Light That Never Goes Out
Take me out tonight 
Where there's music and there's people 
And they're young and alive 
Driving in your car 
I never never want to go home 
Because I haven't got one 
Anymore
Take me out tonight 
Because I want to see people and I 
Want to see life 
Driving in your car 
Oh, please don't drop me home 
Because it's not my home, it's their
Home, and I'm welcome no more
And if a double-decker bus 
Crashes into us 
To die by your side 
Is such a heavenly way to die 
And if a ten-ton truck 
Kills the both of us 
To die by your side 
Well, the pleasure - the privilege is mine
Take me out tonight 
Take me anywhere, I don't care 
I don't care, I don't care 
And in the darkened underpass 
I thought oh God, my chance has come at last
(but then

17 minutes ago, billfunk said:

Fuck it, Europe doesn't deserve Morrissey anymore.

Yay, your avatar is one of the early 80s Scientist albums, had a few of those

6 minutes ago, Panther said:

Yay, your avatar is one of the early 80s Scientist albums, had a few of those

Well done. Generally I love religious music when white English people aren't the ones doing it.

I hadn't heard of Scientist. The same picture is on Neutral Milk Hotel's album "In The Aeroplane Over The Sea."