• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Great Guy

Resole Boots?

Anyone do this? I went to a local place yesterday and they wanted £60 for resoling my boots with vibram soles... £30 for using normal soles....

They never had the soles in stock which made me think they never done this job often. 

5 minutes ago, Great Guy said:

Anyone do this? I went to a local place yesterday and they wanted £60 for resoling my boots with vibram soles... £30 for using normal soles....

They never had the soles in stock which made me think they never done this job often. 

I resole normal shoes with stuff off amazon. Not sure about vibram though it sounds difficult to me and awkward if it came off again halfway through a mountain climb or whatever you do. Would have thought 60 quid would go a long way towards new boots unless you are deeply in love with the old ones. 

I resole and reheel my boots and shoes myself. You can get kits off Amazon or Ebay and there are youtube videos showing you how to do it. 

It's useful (though not essential) to have a cobbler's last, you can buy these for about £5 in junk/antique shops (not usually worth buying on Ebay as the cost of postage is so high). 

This is also an indication of the actual costs of making something like a shoe in a traditional manner.  They're only cheap because we've invented the cheap disposable shoe, and then offshored production to places where wages are ultra-low (compared with Britain).

48 minutes ago, swiss_democracy_for_all said:

See my walking boot thread. Throwaway world indeed.

As you're in the UK you maybe can't resole the one you have but you can at least buy a walking boot that will be possible to re-sole when the time comes.

https://www.altberg.co.uk/

Best boots I've ever found.

2 hours ago, dgul said:

This is also an indication of the actual costs of making something like a shoe in a traditional manner.  They're only cheap because we've invented the cheap disposable shoe, and then offshored production to places where wages are ultra-low (compared with Britain).

Yes. Well made English shoes or boots cost at least £300. The advantage is, these shoes will generally cost less over their lifetime if you get them resoled and heeled every year, than if you were to buy a pair of cheap shoes every year.