DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Gold (and PM) in all its forms

MrXxx

On 03/07/2018 at 15:33, Oskar said:

I have bought some sovereigns over the years just as insurance against (hyper)inflation/currency collapse. If the worst doesn't happen I can always occasionally flog them to top up the pension when I retire or have something that can be passed onto younger relatives when I pop my clogs.

Mostly I see it as a way of safeguarding wealth as they are easy to hide, move and are accepted everywhere.

That's pretty much my view on them.  I dislike the lack of yield but having something of value that the government cannot inflate away, doesn't know about so can't means test upon or tax, and can be sold or given away again without the government being involved are all excellent aspects.

I have a few sovs (as in not many at all rather than a coy hint that I have loads!) though bought more for interest and testing the waters as to ease of buying / delivery than as a serious investment.

My biggest surprise was how small they are.  I have seen a quarter sovereign for sale and that must be minute.

Currently my cash is better going into SIPP / VCT for the tax benefits but I may look at it seriously post retirement when tax avoidance is less of a priority.

Archived