• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

DTMark

UK University Bans Straight People from Housing

2 minutes ago, DTMark said:

‘LGBT Segregation’: UK University Bans Straight People from Housing

(also covered elsewhere)

What on earth is going on here. This makes me furious.

There are so many things wrong with this that it's difficult to know where to begin. Just a few immediate thoughts:

• It is discrimination, pure and simple, and not in any constructive way. I thought such things were against the law.
  • There is no way to "prove" that someone is LGBT and therefore "qualifies".
  • By placing LGBT people in the same building - you might as well have a massive flashing arrow in the sky pointing at it to anyone willing to act on homophobic views and in this way endangers the people it claims to provide a "safe space" for.
  • It marks people out as "different" in a way that is significant enough to operate segregation which runs completely contrary to just about every effort made by the gay rights movement throughout history.
  • And there's that phrase "LGBT community" again. There is no such bloody thing.

Oh for fucks sake.  One of the most fun times of my life was lodging with two gay guys.  A total hoot - a bit full on and I would not have the energy today, but in my 20s, a brill time.  

What exactly do they think is going to happen if they dared to mix gay and straight people together?  

World has gone mad...

I have a sneaking suspicion that this has much more to do with the T part of LGBT.

I hate that expression and unnecessary, ill-advised grouping. You might as well just say "all the perverts" (meant literally and only a touch provocatively aimed at the people who invented and use this expression).

University is the most tolerant environment anyway.  I knew ?three gay men at college, one of whom was a good friend, and they would all have laughed at the idea that they required protection and being housed separately from the other students.

I don't know much about Sheffield University, other than that it has a very good archaeology department, so I'm guessing but possibly it has a high percenatge of muslim students who are doing things to make LGBT students feel uncomfortable.

4 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

University is the most tolerant environment anyway.  I knew ?three gay men at college, one of whom was a good friend, and they would all have laughed at the idea that they required protection and being housed separately from the other students.

I don't know much about Sheffield University, other than that it has a very good archaeology department, so I'm guessing but possibly it has a high percenatge of muslim students who are doing things to make LGBT students feel uncomfortable.

If this is so, this is what should be dealt with.  Putting all those who are at risk of feeling uncomfortable through the actions of others in housing together is just silently accepting unacceptable behaviour. 

6 minutes ago, DTMark said:

I have a sneaking suspicion that this has much more to do with the T part of LGBT.

I hate that expression and unnecessary, ill-advised grouping. You might as well just say "all the perverts" (meant literally and only a touch provocatively aimed at the people who invented and use this expression).

I've read a couple of stories where gay men have been excluded from university LGBT meetings because they have too much privilege or however these fanciful things are expressed.

So you may find that you are being kicked out of the LGBT group anyway Mark.

15 minutes ago, DTMark said:

‘LGBT Segregation’: UK University Bans Straight People from Housing

(also covered elsewhere)

What on earth is going on here. This makes me furious.

There are so many things wrong with this that it's difficult to know where to begin. Just a few immediate thoughts:

• It is discrimination, pure and simple, and not in any constructive way. I thought such things were against the law.
  • There is no way to "prove" that someone is LGBT and therefore "qualifies".
  • By placing LGBT people in the same building - you might as well have a massive flashing arrow in the sky pointing at it to anyone willing to act on homophobic views and in this way endangers the people it claims to provide a "safe space" for.
  • It marks people out as "different" in a way that is significant enough to operate segregation which runs completely contrary to just about every effort made by the gay rights movement throughout history.
  • And there's that phrase "LGBT community" again. There is no such bloody thing.

Lesbian gay bisexual & trans people all together in a segregated accomodation block? 

I give it 5 mins before a ton of arguing and fighting breaks out. 

One of the problems I recall of housing in my university days (well, halls) was about 1 in 10 people claimed to be disabled so they could get the double sized disabled rooms, but only perhaps 1 in 50 rooms (if that) were for disabled students. None of them, as I recall, were actually disabled, but had managed to get a doctor to define them as such (much like the ooh eh, got a bad back doc, give me a blue badge)

1 minute ago, WorkingPoor said:

Lesbian gay bisexual & trans people all together in a segregated accomodation block? 

I give it 5 mins before a ton of arguing and fighting breaks out.

They'll form little cliques based on perceived oppression; it'll be a fucking shit show.

2 minutes ago, One percent said:

If this is so, this is what should be dealt with.  Putting all those who are at risk of feeling uncomfortable through the actions of others in housing together is just silently accepting unacceptable behaviour. 

It's been happening at a London uni (quelle surprise....)

The Islamic Society at a London university whose alumni have travelled to join Islamic State has been suspended amid allegations of “bullying and misconduct”. Sources say the society had been breaking rules “left right and centre” for years, but no action was taken for fear of appearing “Islamophobic”.

The revelation, regarding Queen Mary University London, comes just two days after the president of the Islamic Society at nearby Goldsmiths University was suspended after making anti-gay remarks.

Tweets expressing antipathy towards “fag lovers” and “stupid” gay pride marches where brought to light after the LGBT society backed the Islamic Society when members harassed an ‘Islamophobic’ ex-Muslim speaker.

https://www.breitbart.com/london/2015/12/12/london-uni-islamic-society-suspended-bullying-years-extremism-protected-fear-islamophobia/

1 minute ago, DTMark said:

If ever you go into a gay pub, you tend to find that lesbians congregate together, and gay men in another area. They tend not to mix. Would be interesting.

There's a pub in Blackpool which is "L" shaped and what you see is all the men at one end, and all the women at the other.

Because they have everything and nothing in common. Like two of the same poles of a magnet.

And why would they?  It's like saying that because I am straight, I have everything in common with every other straight individual, regardless.  About time we started seeing people as individuals.  I find it very strange that we are not allowed to stereotype certain groups in society, but others, we can.  Weird. 

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, DTMark said:

If ever you go into a gay pub, you tend to find that lesbians congregate together, and gay men in another area. They tend not to mix. Would be interesting.

There's a pub in Blackpool which is "L" shaped and what you see is all the men at one end, and all the women at the other.

Because they have everything and nothing in common. Like two of the same poles of a magnet.

Yes, in brighton there are gay clubs for men and gay clubs for women 

not strictly but they dont tend to hang out together.

I chatted up a burd in a gay club once (well she started taking to me) and her partner came over and really flew off the handle i thought she was going to attack me! 

Edited by WorkingPoor

Just now, One percent said:

And why would they?  It's like saying that because I am straight, I have everything in common with every other straight individual, regardless.  About time we started seeing people as individuals.  I find it very strange that we are not allowed to stereotype certain groups in society, but others, we can.  Weird. 

Precisely this.

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

Well at least they appear to be attempting to deal with it....  Probably very belatedly. 

this is the problem when you start highlighting special groups in society (think protected characteristics in the equality act).  What then when two or more of these groups clash over views?  Whose rights trump?  They are creating a complete mess with all this stuff

3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

It must be so damning to be presented with evidence that multiculturalism isn't always a benefit and to have to take action.

I'd just say I was bi & reap all the rewards etc. 

If they needed any proof - just sayin 'I had a 5 Knuckle Shuffle from a blerk after a Stella session.

It wasn't Stokie or XYY by the way.

:wanker: :Beer::Jumping: 

1 minute ago, mattydread said:

If they needed any proof - just sayin 'I had a 5 Knuckle Shuffle from a blerk after a Stella session.

What happens if the so-called LGBT community in the building start to suspect that maybe, just maybe, one of their housemates might not be gay? Or not "gay enough"?

In a twist of irony this reminds me of when the press hounded Zayn Malik for doing stuff like drinking and smoking and questioned whether he was a 'proper Muslim'.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, mattydread said:

The nature of these things is that you won't be asked to prove it; just to identify as "Bi" is enough.

I put down British Asian and Gender Fluid in works surveys; I'm neither but UR can't challenge it because it would be like their going up to somebody who had put "straight" and saying that they thought they were gay.  Instant tribunal and the Head of HR has a nervous breakdown.

Edited by Frank Hovis

1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

The nature of these things is that you won't be asked to prove it; just to identify as "Bi" is enough.

I put down British Asian and Gender Fluid in works surveys; I'm neither but UR can't challenge it because it would be like their going up to somebody who had put "straight" and saying that they thought they were gay.  Instant tribunal and the Head of HR has a nervous breakdown.

Well, it could all go Caligula on you as you are asked to evidence your status.  o.O

2 minutes ago, DTMark said:

What happens if the so-called LGBT community in the building start to suspect that maybe, just maybe, one of their housemates might not be gay? Or not "gay enough"?

In a twist of irony this reminds me of when the press hounded Zayn Malik for doing stuff like drinking and smoking and questioned whether he was a 'proper Muslim'.

Similar to the men being trans woman and accusing straight men of discrimination for not wanting to go out with them.

It's the sort of thing that cannot be proven.  IIRC Larry Grayson was well aware that his career would be finished (this was the 70s) if he was found to be gay by the newspapers who kept trying to expose him so he did absolutely nothing gay (as in no clubs, no anything) so if he had been asked to "prove" that he was gay he would have been unable to do so.

1 minute ago, One percent said:

Well, it could all go Caligula on you as you are asked to evidence your status.  o.O

I couldn't see it ever happening but I would just make something up.  Tony Cascarino qualified to play for the Republic of Ireland through his Irish granny.  The only problem being that he didn't have an Irish granny; he just said that he did and nobody ever checked.