• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
I'll Handle it

Basic Printer Advice Please

I purchased my last printer years ago. It's a Lexmark X5650. I've replaced the ink a couple of times, once with the legit carts and the other time with after market. Both times the ink dried up but I can't honestly say it the carts were at fault, more likely due to dormancy. However, I've decided that I'm not going to purchase more ink. I'll keep the printer for scanning but I want a basic printer that has cheap ink that is likely to last a while before evaporating. Any suggestions please ?

Cannon MG 5751 (White model) or MG 5750 (Black model).

I bought the white model myself a few months ago. Have since bought it for several friends. It regularly is available for £50 either at Argos, Currys, Tesco or Amazon. They seem to take turns at the prices.

Here you go - £49.99 at Argos - http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5768062

I bought this because it has very good reviews. Is a combined printer, scanner and photo-copier. But most of all it is cheap to run. Each of the ink cartridges is replaceable separately so you do not have to replace ALL ink cartridges when one runs out.

Also, unlike HP and Epson, Cannon do not appear to be going down the route of chipping their firmware so that you cannot use non-Cannon inks - HP now do this and I read that this is happening with Epson printers. On Amazon there are several firms who will sell you a complete set of replacement inks for the Cannon for under £25 and they have several hundred positive reviews.

Highly recommended.

ONE WARNING - do not buy a Cannon printer which looks similar but has a different model number. Some of them do require you to change ALL inks and are bloody expensive to do so. Get the above model that I mentioned.

Forgot to say, on any inkjet printer you should print out a few sheets once or twice a month just to stop the ink heads from clogging up. The inkjet heads get covered in ink which dries and then the printer is fecked. The Cannon I suggest has a shut-down process that apparently avoids this but, IMPO, best to just print a couple of sheets a month to keep things in working order.

7 minutes ago, The Masked Tulip said:

That's really expensive I've an older canon model.  Never skipped a beat and use these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CYK1V84/ref=s9_dcacsd_dcoop_bw_c_x_1_w

3 minutes ago, One percent said:

That's really expensive I've an older canon model.  Never skipped a beat and use these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CYK1V84/ref=s9_dcacsd_dcoop_bw_c_x_1_w

Yes, but they do not fit the printer that I have suggested. I suppose you could try forcing them in :)

There are slightly cheaper replacement inks for the printer model that I suggest BUT in terms of quality of ink and bang for buck paying a tad more for the ones I suggested is, I feel, a wise move. Yes, you can buy cheaper but a lot of the reviewers have stated that they felt the quality was not so good.

Also, the inks that I mentioned are often on a Amazon lightning deal and can be had for about half the price. But the OP might not want to hang around on Amazon checking for such deals.

Just now, The Masked Tulip said:

Yes, but they do not fit the printer that I have suggested. I suppose you could try forcing them in :)

There are slightly cheaper replacement inks for the printer model that I suggest BUT in terms of quality of ink and bang for buck paying a tad more for the ones I suggested is, I feel, a wise move. Yes, you can buy cheaper but a lot of the reviewers have stated that they felt the quality was not so good.

Also, the inks that I mentioned are often on a Amazon lightning deal and can be had for about half the price. But the OP might not want to hang around on Amazon checking for such deals.

xD  I guess that I am agreeing with you on canon but not sure the model number makes that much difference; it changes as they update.  Mine is a 6150.  Over four years old and (touch wood) has not skipped a beat.  The cartridges, as posted, are ridiculously cheap.  First call inks have always worked excellently in it  

5 minutes ago, One percent said:

xD  I guess that I am agreeing with you on canon but not sure the model number makes that much difference; it changes as they update.  Mine is a 6150.  Over four years old and (touch wood) has not skipped a beat.  The cartridges, as posted, are ridiculously cheap.  First call inks have always worked excellently in it  

The models do make a difference as some require you to change all the cartirdges at the same time. Others just the individual cartridge. Over the lifetime of a printer it can make a big difference in cost.

Anyhow, I don't wish to get into an anal conversation about my printer is better than your printer :D as life is too short and I need a good night's sleep.

1 minute ago, The Masked Tulip said:

The models do make a difference as some require you to change all the cartirdges at the same time. Others just the individual cartridge. Over the lifetime of a printer it can make a big difference in cost.

Anyhow, I don't wish to get into an anal conversation about my printer is better than your printer :D as life is too short and I need a good night's sleep.

xD

why not?  We do discuss some inane shite amongst the really illuminating stuff. xD

i can change my cartridges individually. :P

I find inkjet printers one of those things where future iterations never improved on previous ones. The first one I had was a small Canon bubblejet, in about 1990 I think, and everything about it, apart from the lack of auto paper feed, was superior to every subsequent one I've had.

2 hours ago, SNACR said:

I find inkjet printers one of those things where future iterations never improved on previous ones. The first one I had was a small Canon bubblejet, in about 1990 I think, and everything about it, apart from the lack of auto paper feed, was superior to every subsequent one I've had.

Wonder how many dot matrix printers are still chugging away in the corner of stores departments, workshops, test facilities? Have a really old A3 scanner, very difficult to find an equivalent performing device now - the scanning heads they put in the all-in-ones despite 20 years of tech improvements do not come close in colour rendition/performance despite claimed pixel count way in excess of the old epson. 

10 hours ago, I'll Handle it said:

I purchased my last printer years ago. It's a Lexmark X5650. I've replaced the ink a couple of times, once with the legit carts and the other time with after market. Both times the ink dried up but I can't honestly say it the carts were at fault, more likely due to dormancy. However, I've decided that I'm not going to purchase more ink. I'll keep the printer for scanning but I want a basic printer that has cheap ink that is likely to last a while before evaporating. Any suggestions please ?

If you don't print colour pictures (or only occasionally) then I'd say get a cheaper laser printer. Brother have always been very good and the toner cartridge lasts for ages and never dries up. 

Something like this

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/brother-hl-1112-mono-laser-printer-a25nc?cmpid=ppc%3Acomputing___office%3Apla%3Agoogle&gclid=CjwKEAjwxurIBRDnt7P7rODiq0USJADwjt5DHR9P9OSzvqJLPJ3N459aNc5lrok2iCGzVh5dtZn6zxoCw5rw_wcB

12 minutes ago, gilf said:

If you don't print colour pictures (or only occasionally) then I'd say get a cheaper laser printer. Brother have always been very good and the toner cartridge lasts for ages and never dries up. 

Something like this

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/brother-hl-1112-mono-laser-printer-a25nc?cmpid=ppc%3Acomputing___office%3Apla%3Agoogle&gclid=CjwKEAjwxurIBRDnt7P7rODiq0USJADwjt5DHR9P9OSzvqJLPJ3N459aNc5lrok2iCGzVh5dtZn6zxoCw5rw_wcB

A Big +1 for this suggestion.

I used to have Inkjet printers (went through several printers, and the cartridges were constantly clogging up) then roughly 8 years ago bought a monochrome Brother laser printer.

It.

Just.

Works.

It came with a tiny "starter pack" toner cartridge. I've since had to purchase one real-sized toner cartridge. Just the one. Still running on it, after 8 years...

The only regret I have is not splashing out for the color laser printer; too many wanky web designers just assume that of course you have a color printer :PissedOff:

Edited by DeepLurker

2 minutes ago, DeepLurker said:

I used to have Inkjet printers (went through several printers, and the cartridges were constantly clogging up) then roughly 8 years ago bought a monochrome Brother laser printer.

It.

Just.

Works.

It came with a tiny "starter pack" toner cartridge. I've since had to purchase one real-sized toner cartridge. Just the one. Still running on it, after 8 years...

The only regret I have is not splashing out for the color laser printer; too many wanky web designers just assume that of course you have a color printer :PissedOff:

I had a client years ago that bought himself a colour fax (never knew they existed!)

It don't think he ever found anyone else with one. Bit pointless in that case.

I got a colour laser over an inkjet. 

But, it you do get an inkjet:

• Buy something mainstream (so that you can get cheap ink readily and into the future)
  • Buy cheap, assuming that it won't last that long anyway (shame this, but I've bought expensive and they don't really last any longer)
  • Buy whatever is on the best promotion at that time
  • Duplex is great
  • Photo-colour not really worth it -- cheaper and better quality found with the online photo printers.

24 minutes ago, DeepLurker said:

It.

Just.

Works.

When I had a smallish colour laser printer at home, OKI I think, the toners, even genuine, were actually quite reasonable but the drums were very pricey. The big HP ones at work were much cheaper per copy but not the sort of thing you'd really want at home not just the size also because of the noise and smell of ozone.

29 minutes ago, DeepLurker said:

A lot of news websites used to have print friendly formats of their articles; lately, not so much.

2 minutes ago, dgul said:

I got a colour laser over an inkjet. 

But, it you do get an inkjet:

• Buy something mainstream (so that you can get cheap ink readily and into the future)
  • Buy cheap, assuming that it won't last that long anyway (shame this, but I've bought expensive and they don't really last any longer)
  • Buy whatever is on the best promotion at that time
  • Duplex is great
  • Photo-colour not really worth it -- cheaper and better quality found with the online photo printers.

HP Officejet type level product will last longer but rarely sold at places like Currys PC World as not aimed at the consumer market. I use online photo printing services myself but photo paper is still a big seller not sure if they're all printing something dodgy or aren't aware there are better options and the prints fade.

14 minutes ago, SNACR said:

HP Officejet type level product will last longer but rarely sold at places like Currys PC World as not aimed at the consumer market. I use online photo printing services myself but photo paper is still a big seller not sure if they're all printing something dodgy or aren't aware there are better options and the prints fade.

I just chucked out an Office jet that I bought circa late 90's. Only reason it had to go was because the inks were increasingly difficult to get and now cost more than a new printer. Would not buy a new HP though due to their chipping to force you to use their inks.

1 minute ago, The Masked Tulip said:

I just chucked out an Office jet that I bought circa late 90's. Only reason it had to go was because the inks were increasingly difficult to get and now cost more than a new printer. Would not buy a new HP though due to their chipping to force you to use their inks.

This seems much more illegally anti-competitive to me than bundling media player with Windows.

Thanks for the suggestions ! I never print in colour, mainly just postage labels etc. I think the laser option is best under my circumstances.

Completely off topic but I asked for advice on an air fryer on the HPC site some months ago and I went for this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tower-T17005-Healthier-Rapid-Fryer/dp/B0148N2U7K/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1494969188&sr=1-1&keywords=air+fryer

Actually purchased on eBay as it was a bit cheaper at the time.

I use it every day. more or less. My old halogen oven has been replaced completely. Just thought I'd mention it here.

Thanks again.