• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/many-children-manchester-growing-up-14848421#ICID=Android_MENNewsApp_AppShare

According to the latest figures from the Office for National Statistics more than a quarter of kids and teenagers in the city live in a ‘workless’ households.

Alison Garnham, chief executive of Child Poverty Action Group, said: “The bigger picture shows that a full two thirds of children below the official poverty line have at least one working parent.

MUCH further down the article...

The good news is that the proportion of families where no-one works is actually falling.

Six years ago in Manchester it stood at 31pc.

25%?

How is that actually possible. I mean literally?

I've got two, myself and Mrs H. work our fingers to the fucking bone and we're virtually on the breadline.

How does someone not work and is still able to feed, clothe and house themselves and their kids!?

I simply can't get my head around it. 

15 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/many-children-manchester-growing-up-14848421#ICID=Android_MENNewsApp_AppShare

According to the latest figures from the Office for National Statistics more than a quarter of kids and teenagers in the city live in a ‘workless’ households.

Alison Garnham, chief executive of Child Poverty Action Group, said: “The bigger picture shows that a full two thirds of children below the official poverty line have at least one working parent.

MUCH further down the article...

The good news is that the proportion of families where no-one works is actually falling.

Six years ago in Manchester it stood at 31pc.

Well something is very wrong with official figures.  The unemployment figure is 4.3 percent.  the So-Called BBC told me so

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42802526

They really don't think it through do they when they are presenting contradictory figures

2 minutes ago, Game_of_Homes said:

You can get £20k per household before the benefit cap comes in (£23k in London). If you work part time on a low wage and have at least 2 kids, you will get a massive amounts of top up benefits to make you equal with someone earning £50k, not to mention all the other freebies. Taxpayers basically subsidise low pay so that the big corporations and the rich can make a profit.

TCs don’t fall in line with benefit cap. Even if no one is working in the house they’re still entitled to child tax credits. Hence how these people are able to survive without working as long as they have kids. 

1 minute ago, One percent said:

Well something is very wrong with official figures.  The unemployment figure is 4.3 percent.  the So-Called BBC told me so

They really don't think it through do they when they are presenting contradictory figures

doesn't the unemployment stat only include those actually claiming job-seekers?

So anyone on other bennys, or gets kicked off job-seekers for any number of minor infringements, isn't included?

1 minute ago, Thombleached said:

TCs don’t fall in line with benefit cap. Even if no one is working in the house they’re still entitled to child tax credits. Hence how these people are able to survive without working as long as they have kids. 

Tax credits is included in the cap but £20k is plenty to live on and £23k in London. You just need to be a bit more frugal. Tax credits is currently about £55 per child per week. Nobody needs that much and kids clothes/toys can be handed down etc.

Just now, snagger said:

So anyone on other bennys, or gets kicked off job-seekers for any number of minor infringements, isn't included?

Good point - I'm not sure but suspect you are correct.  Whatever, the figures are being massaged somehow...

Posted (edited)

Don't forget the people on zero hour contracts as well. The unemployment figures like everything else is massaged to look good. Take a walk into town and the truth is in plain sight.  I've never seen so many people using crutches and mobitlity scooters in my life xD

Edited by Admiral Pepe

6 minutes ago, Game_of_Homes said:

Tax credits is included in the cap but £20k is plenty to live on and £23k in London. You just need to be a bit more frugal. Tax credits is currently about £55 per child per week. Nobody needs that much and kids clothes/toys can be handed down etc.

I am assuming you are ignoring rent and council tax in your £20k?

Or is it 4 people in one shared room?

1 minute ago, Cunning Plan said:

I am assuming you are ignoring rent and council tax in your £20k?

Or is it 4 people in one shared room?

Rent is very low in social housing (even in London it can be £150 or less for a 3/4 bed property). Council tax is not paid as they will get relief. I agree that it doesn't work with private rentals if you have lots of kids but the cap applies to so few households because it is quite easy to get around (e.g. part time, low paid job and the cap doesn't apply or if anyone in the household is getting DLA/PIP/CA). 

Just now, Game_of_Homes said:

Rent is very low in social housing (even in London it can be £150 or less for a 3/4 bed property). Council tax is not paid as they will get relief. I agree that it doesn't work with private rentals if you have lots of kids but the cap applies to so few households because it is quite easy to get around (e.g. part time, low paid job and the cap doesn't apply or if anyone in the household is getting DLA/PIP/CA). 

What social housing - tell me you are having a laugh!

Just now, Cunning Plan said:

What social housing - tell me you are having a laugh!

No. There is still loads of social housing, even in London it is something like 25-30% of all households!

Just now, Game_of_Homes said:

No. There is still loads of social housing, even in London it is something like 25-30% of all households!

Ah - I only know my area around Woking. I don't think it exists here (well from my experience of the few people I know that really needed it and were told to forget even going on the list)

12 minutes ago, snagger said:

11 minutes ago, One percent said:

Good point - I'm not sure but suspect you are correct.  Whatever, the figures are being massaged somehow...

This came up a couple of years ago in Cornwall.  The unemployment figures were at a historic low but the numbers of economically inactive people were at a high.

It's the mixture of early retirement, it being such a pain to claim JSA that people don't bother and do casual cash in hand stuff instead to tide them over between jobs, and as snagger said there are any number of ways you can obtain benefits without being required to sign on for JSA.

The headline unemployment figure used to be very important but now it's no real barometer of how amny peopel are out of work.

22 minutes ago, One percent said:

Like I said on another thread. England population - 55 million

Number of people in England signed on with a GP - 59 million.

Mmmmm....

1 minute ago, Cunning Plan said:

Ah - I only know my area around Woking. I don't think it exists here (well from my experience of the few people I know that really needed it and were told to forget even going on the list)

See page 8. Even in 2011, social housing tenure in London still made up about 25% of all households and London is the place with the most demand for social housing. I believe there are more workless households in social housing than any of the other tenure (they are also more likely to be given social housing on account of "need" such as overcrowding/vulnerability etc).

https://www.london.gov.uk/sites/default/files/housing_in_london_2015.pdf

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

25%?

How is that actually possible. I mean literally?

I've got two, myself and Mrs H. work our fingers to the fucking bone and we're virtually on the breadline.

How does someone not work and is still able to feed, clothe and house themselves and their kids!?

I simply can't get my head around it. 

My mate.

2 kids. He works 3 shifts a week in an easy (if dull) minimum wage job.

He has plenty of spending money for hobbies, at least one foreign holiday a year. I don't ask how, but I'm guessing it's a big tax credit bonus. He also bought a cheap house on a housing estate which is fair enough. Not a care in the world; fair play to him I guess. He gets more time to spend with his kids and hobbies than most dads.

It sounds to me like him and his wife have as much spending money as couples that are pulling in say £70K between them.

It's odd; when I talk to him I feel like I'm talking to the 17 year old him, the people we were when we were kids, whereas I'm the 34 year old me with all the accumulation of stress over exams and uni and settling in a career and job stress ect...

...I still remember us sitting before one of our A Level exams; me cramming last minute and him sitting playing on his GameBoy.

He's got a better life than I have, so fair play to him.

Edited by JoeDavola

34 minutes ago, DurhamBorn said:

My friend doesnt work and gets £1800 a month in cash benefits ,his wifes dad bought their house cash for them.3 kids,getting disability/PIP etc for "behaviour".

OK both I and my child have ASD which is classed as a disability.

I work and claim no bennies, except child benefit which everyone gets.

Am I a mug??

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Game_of_Homes said:

You can get £20k per household before the benefit cap comes in (£23k in London). If you work part time on a low wage and have at least 2 kids, you will get a massive amounts of top up benefits to make you equal with someone earning £50k, not to mention all the other freebies. Taxpayers basically subsidise low pay so that the big corporations and the rich can make a profit.

Oh, so this is what my mate must be doing.

I feel a bit sick to be honest having read that. To think of all the years I spent in hyper-stressful jobs while he was stacking shelves and playing video games.

Still, I'm the mug, not him.

Edited by JoeDavola

Just now, JoeDavola said:

Oh, so this is what my mate must be doing.

I feel a bit sick to be honest. To think of all the years I spent in hyper-stressful jobs while he was stacking shelves and playing video games.

Still, I'm the mug, not him.

You can still do it if you have kids and no savings. You even get to keep any income from a low paid job as it is below the tax threshold. Just make sure you pay a bit of NI to get your stamp.

3 minutes ago, JoeDavola said:

My mate.

2 kids. He works 3 shifts a week in an easy (if dull) minimum wage job.

He has plenty of spending money for hobbies, at least one foreign holiday a year. I don't ask how, but I'm guessing it's a big tax credit bonus. He also bought a cheap house on a housing estate which is fair enough. Not a care in the world; fair play to him I guess. He gets more time to spend with his kids and hobbies than most dads.

It sounds to me like him and his wife have as much spending money as couples that are pulling in say £70K between them.

It's odd; when I talk to him I feel like I'm talking to the 17 year old him, the people we were when we were kids, whereas I'm the 34 year old me with all the accumulation of stress over exams and uni and settling in a career and job stress ect...

...I still remember us sitting before one of our A Level exams; me cramming last minute and him sitting playing on his GameBoy.

He's got a better life than I have, so fair play to him.

They really have turned advice normally handed down through the generations on its head.  Work hard, get an education, get a good job and the world is your oyster  xD Er, no, pop out those kids, find a part-time job and you will have much more money than your mate with his nose to the grindstone...  :ph34r:  It is not sustainable is it....

1 minute ago, JackieO said:

OK both I and my child have ASD which is classed as a disability.

I work and claim no bennies, except child benefit which everyone gets.

Am I a mug??

Yes, claim it, you are entitled (sorry I hate that word but 'tis true).