• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
steppensheep

Limp Toast.

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, steppensheep said:

Has someone been messing with our industrial bread production recipes, or has toast always been this limp?

try lifting weights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Make your own; if you use a machine it is ridiculously easy.

Edit: Bread I mean; I presume Mr Sheep makes their own toast using a machine.

Oohhh a discussion about bread makers (have we not done this?). What have you got? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

is this limp toast similar to a limp biscuit? i assume the bicsuit is limp from being soggy (soggy bicsuit?) is it similar for your toast? was it soggy?

anyway enough of this flim flam, im off to eat hot dog sausages with mustard in french bread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, One percent said:

Oohhh a discussion about bread makers (have we not done this?). What have you got? 

This one from Aldi:

BUDDING bakers can now create doughy masterpieces with an Ambiano premium bread maker from Aldi that only costs £50.

The budget supermarket has added the cooking machinery to its Gifts for Chefs range and reckons it’s just as good as a Panasonic one worth £173 from John Lewis.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/4953635/aldi-is-selling-a-premium-bread-maker-for-50-and-its-more-than-half-the-price-of-one-from-john-lewis/


Whilst it was only £10 pricier than my previous one, that eventually wore out, the bread is far more finer grained so I can cut thin slices without its falling apart.

It's so much nicer than bought bread and I literally have neither bought not desired to buy a loaf of bread since I've been making bread at home; three years now I think.

On the saving money side, though this is not the reason for it which is having it fresh, properly made, and with ingredients that I know about, it's about 50p a load Vs a pound or more in the shops so at roughly two a week that's £50 a year and the maker pays for itself year one.

 

Edit: I think that Lidl (though no longer Aldi) sells bread flour and yeast tells you that making your own bread is very common these days.

Edited by Frank Hovis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Inoperational Bumblebee said:

Turn your toaster up.

That's posh. Does your toaster have a temperature setting?

Mine just toasts it for longer.

(We could ask if he has plugged it in. If not, that would produce very limp toast)

Edited by Cunning Plan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cunning Plan said:

That's posh. Does your toaster have a temperature setting?

Mine just toasts it for longer.

(We could ask if he has plugged it in. That would produce very limp toast)

i think he may be trying to toast bread in the radiogram. Yes, this is the 50's. Hence the turn it up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Frank Hovis said:

This one from Aldi:

BUDDING bakers can now create doughy masterpieces with an Ambiano premium bread maker from Aldi that only costs £50.

The budget supermarket has added the cooking machinery to its Gifts for Chefs range and reckons it’s just as good as a Panasonic one worth £173 from John Lewis.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/4953635/aldi-is-selling-a-premium-bread-maker-for-50-and-its-more-than-half-the-price-of-one-from-john-lewis/


Whilst it was only £10 pricier than my previous one, that eventually wore out, the bread is far more finer grained so I can cut thin slices without its falling apart.

It's so much nicer than bought bread and I literally have neither bought not desired to buy a load of bread since I've been making bread at home; three years now I think.

On the saving money side, though this is not the reason for it which is having it fresh, properly made, and with ingredients that I know about, it's about 50p a load Vs a pound in more in the shops so at roughly two a week that's £50 a year and the maker pays for itself year one.

Ah, looks good. I have a very old Panasonic (the original, not the JL expensive one) that I keep thinking is going to give up the ghost. I’ll keep an eye out. 

I use mine for making dough for buns for my packout. Recon that saves me a fortune. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Cunning Plan said:

That's posh. Does your toaster have a temperature setting?

Mine just toasts it for longer.

(We could ask if he has plugged it in. If not, that would produce very limp toast)

It's got buttons that change a number between 1 and 8. I always assumed toasters had a sensor that measured the darkness of the bread. Perhaps it is time?

Ours is not currently in use as my wife was using it to store junk on top of, and the 20p and piece of plastic rope in it caused an 'incident' upon next toasting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, One percent said:

Ah, looks good. I have a very old Panasonic (the original, not the JL expensive one) that I keep thinking is going to give up the ghost. I’ll keep an eye out. 

I use mine for making dough for buns for my packout. Recon that saves me a fortune. 

Buns I do buy as they are merely simple rather than ridiculously simple!

Though my working lunch of two rolls, muffins this week, and an apple isn't exactly expensive. 

Someone at work was moaning about how much he was spending on lunch, it was £7 a day from a local shop for sandwich, cake or crisps and a soft drink.  I suggested that he scale that up to a yearly figure of £1,750 which didn't exactly help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

Buns I do buy as they are merely simple rather than ridiculously simple!

Though my working lunch of two rolls, muffins this week, and an apple isn't exactly expensive. 

Someone at work was moaning about how much he was spending on lunch, it was £7 a day from a local shop for sandwich, cake or crisps and a soft drink.  I suggested that he scale that up to a yearly figure of £1,750 which didn't exactly help!

tell him youll make his lunch for £4.50. kerching.

Edited by leonardratso

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Frank Hovis said:

Buns I do buy as they are merely simple rather than ridiculously simple!

Though my working lunch of two rolls, muffins this week, and an apple isn't exactly expensive. 

Someone at work was moaning about how much he was spending on lunch, it was £7 a day from a local shop for sandwich, cake or crisps and a soft drink.  I suggested that he scale that up to a yearly figure of £1,750 which didn't exactly help!

You clearly have not bought the special supermarket buns at about 40 pence a pop. My 12 for the same mix as would make a large loaf. So, about 50 pence on you calculation - I’ve not worked it out but know it’s cheap. They freeze well too.  

I do treat myself to an M&S sarnie now and again but not often. Wayyyy too expensive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you're buttering to toast too soon.  If you butter the toast when it's straight out of the toaster, the butter melts completely and soaks into the bread, making it limp.

The solution is to let the toast cool for a while , then butter it. The butter will still melt slightly but not completely soak into the bread, ensuring you still have nice, crispy toast.

How long you leave the toast before buttering it is down to personal preference.  You'll have to experiment to get it just how you like it.  For me, I leave it about 1 minute.

Then I cover it in Marmite. :-D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, ashestoashes said:

don't use the toaster in the bath or empty the bathwater out first 

Why not?  I use my toaster in the bath to heat the water.  You just have to remember to empty the crumbs out first.  :-D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Lipid said:

Why not?  I use my toaster in the bath to heat the water.  You just have to remember to empty the crumbs out first.  :-D

how do you get the heated water into the hot water tap ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.