• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

spygirl

Never knowingly told some to fuck off

Recommended Posts

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5918861/Man-said-TWELVE-TVs-bought-John-Lewis-faulty-banned.html

Total lying bastard.

Just knew hed by a DLAer too.

Led telly panels are chruned out from two factories, with almost zilch defect.

'The 54-year-old says he has had to return the sets due to problems including 'ghosting', 'calibrating' and 'pixelating'.'

ghosting is an analogue broadcast issue.

calibrating pixrlating - unless hes sat about 1cm from the screen hell not see anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Amazon do the same. They are happy for you to be a customer until the system says No.... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't get the scam -- is he keeping them for a month, then sending them back (so he's had 9 months free TV)?  Or is he expecting the company to say 'oh, just keep it if it's broken'?  Anyway, doesn't seem worth it, given that TVs are dirt cheap even new.  

Or is he being genuine and just a mong?  I suppose he could have ghosting from cheap RF connection from DTB to TV, and pixelation from watching dodgy low bandwidth TV.  But in that case why not buy the mate a new TV and take his old 'perfectly acceptable' one.  Actually, I can imagine that any current TV will have a rubbish RF input stage for analogue as there isn't any any more (in the UK), whereas his mate's old one might have a half decent input stage.  That, coupled with the low resolution (=lower ability to see pixelation) might explain the difference in quality.

Anyway, my advice would be to stop watching TV and find something better to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a fight back to the threat of demonisation of their business by the mobilisation of social media. In the past people would threaten to go to the papers. Today they mobilise social media that >insert business< is evil.

So the only way to mitigate, is damage control. We basically don't want your custom.

Weatherspoons I believe has already shut down their twitter, instagram and facebook account, because too much time is spent dealing with many small issues. And you get the chancers that want a free gift voucher for the "inconvenience caused".

 

---

The TV issue - this maybe some genuine issue with his connection or maybe he plays Battlefront, and you need a fast refresh rate TV. Or ideally a proper monitor. This isn't JL fault but in the old days, a TV was a TV, rather than a multi platform smart TV that does everything. A TV thatis a jack of all trades is a master of none.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, spygirl said:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5918861/Man-said-TWELVE-TVs-bought-John-Lewis-faulty-banned.html

Total lying bastard.

Just knew hed by a DLAer too.

Led telly panels are chruned out from two factories, with almost zilch defect.

'The 54-year-old says he has had to return the sets due to problems including 'ghosting', 'calibrating' and 'pixelating'.'

ghosting is an analogue broadcast issue.

calibrating pixrlating - unless hes sat about 1cm from the screen hell not see anything.

He's banned from another electrical retailer too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, 201p said:

It's a fight back to the threat of demonisation of their business by the mobilisation of social media. In the past people would threaten to go to the papers. Today they mobilise social media that >insert business< is evil.

So the only way to mitigate, is damage control. We basically don't want your custom.

Weatherspoons I believe has already shut down their twitter, instagram and facebook account, because too much time is spent dealing with many small issues. And you get the chancers that want a free gift voucher for the "inconvenience caused".

 

---

The TV issue - this maybe some genuine issue with his connection or maybe he plays Battlefront, and you need a fast refresh rate TV. Or ideally a proper monitor. This isn't JL fault but in the old days, a TV was a TV, rather than a multi platform smart TV that does everything. A TV thatis a jack of all trades is a master of none.

Possibly just a nutter/weirdo there's loads of them some just seem to get a buzz from complaining. I'd have banned him after the 2nd telly. I've always banned/blocked customers fairly routinely but these days there's much more of a case for it. You can readily identify which customers create a lot of returns and headaches and if they're not a profitable business case to deal with why bother. 

Great customer service as a USP is a fairly risky proposition quickly squandered by one unfortunate encounter with an indifferent member of staff. Chances are these days they'll still only buy if you're the cheapest. Even if you upset them they'll still come back six months down the line if the alternative is paying a tenner more somewhere else. Customer service is one of those things, that in a focus group context, people will tell you they value but in reality place little or none on it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, 201p said:

Or don't watch TV anymore. We have it on 1/2hr  a day at the most.

 

So you're paying the So-Called BBC a pound for every hour of TV that you watch.

Make that last small break.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

So you're paying the So-Called BBC a pound for every hour of TV that you watch.

Make that last small break.

You can leave the TV on 24/7 if you're measuring it in hours. Have several TVs and iplayers all running programs. No extra charge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, SNACR said:

Possibly just a nutter/weirdo there's loads of them some just seem to get a buzz from complaining. I'd have banned him after the 2nd telly. I've always banned/blocked customers fairly routinely but these days there's much more of a case for it. You can readily identify which customers create a lot of returns and headaches and if they're not a profitable business case to deal with why bother. 

Great customer service as a USP is a fairly risky proposition quickly squandered by one unfortunate encounter with an indifferent member of staff. Chances are these days they'll still only buy if you're the cheapest. Even if you upset them they'll still come back six months down the line if the alternative is paying a tenner more somewhere else. Customer service is one of those things, that in a focus group context, people will tell you they value but in reality place little or none on it. 

Great post.

I’m always blocking too. Moving to a new system soon that will allow us to traffic light customers so they will flag up if they buy again and we can then decide how to deal with them. 

Online reviews are a pita. We ended up taking our Facebook reviews off just because of one customer’s vitriol. Most people only leave a review when they’ve got something to moan about. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Battenberg said:

Great post.

I’m always blocking too. Moving to a new system soon that will allow us to traffic light customers so they will flag up if they buy again and we can then decide how to deal with them. 

Online reviews are a pita. We ended up taking our Facebook reviews off just because of one customer’s vitriol. Most people only leave a review when they’ve got something to moan about. 

I basically removed myself from online because of this. Everybody seems to think that your business needs an 'online presence' but personally, I didn't think it was worth the ball-ache. I get enough work without it and I don't really fancy giving the occasional dickhead customer no-holds-barred access to something that could possibly affect my livelihood just because I refused to work for 30p and a biscuit per hour. Word of mouth works fine for me.

I know someone who runs a small restaurant/cafe and it sounds a fucking nightmare. I never thought someone could be so galactically twattish as to threaten a place with bad reviews unless they got a free meal but apparently it's not at all uncommon.

The net has it's uses but in the hands of knobs it's a maelstrom of fuckwittery.

Edited by Sgt Hartman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

I basically removed myself from online because of this. Everybody seems to think that your business needs an 'online presence' but personally, I didn't think it was worth the ball-ache. I get enough work without it and I don't really fancy giving the occasional dickhead customer no-holds-barred access to something that could possibly affect my livelihood just because I refused to work for 30p and a biscuit per hour. Word of mouth works fine for me.

I know someone who runs a small restaurant/cafe and it sounds a fucking nightmare. I never thought someone could be so galactically twattish as to threaten a place with bad reviews unless they got a free meal but apparently it's not at all uncommon.

The net has it's uses but in the hands of knobs it's a maelstrom of fuckwittery.

I find tripadvisor very useful.

I'll review a palce if its good or its bad. Medicore/blah - no review.

 

You learn to read thru good reviews.

Even the best place I know have a few nutter bad reviews. These are easy to spot esp. if the [person has only reviewd one place.

In the end, statistcs outweigh the contrived bad reviews.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, spygirl said:

I find tripadvisor very useful.

I'll review a palce if its good or its bad. Medicore/blah - no review.

 

You learn to read thru good reviews.

Even the best place I know have a few nutter bad reviews. These are easy to spot esp. if the [person has only reviewd one place.

In the end, statistcs outweigh the contrived bad reviews.

 

It's quite business dependant.

If it's a hotel chain that's used by thousands then the statistics play out.

If it's a small business that relies on passing trade or local business then one or two bitter minded wankers can do a lot of damage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really loathe taking things back to a shop if it's faulty or not required. It's bad enough doing it once let alone twelve times.

Can't blame John Lewis for banning this guy. He'll have to buy a TV from another retailer - and not waste their time unnecessarily.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps he needs to choose a better quality television - you get what you pay for?

That said. I do have some sympathy for the guy. For whatever reason I'm especially sensitive to what I'd call "jitter" in TV pictures.

I can watch something on one of the tacky channels that looks like a programme they taped onto VHS thirty years ago even though the picture quality is dismal.

However I can't watch certain big series on Netflix because they suffer from some weird jitter that my brain simply won't tolerate. It actually makes me dizzy after even only a few seconds. It's where the movement isn't quite fluid and it looks like every other frame is missing, or the frames aren't being delivered at a consistent speed. 

Stranger Things and the new Star Trek series spring to mind - it seems to have something to do with them having been filmed in exceptionally high quality and something goes wrong between the original master and the playback on the TV. I'd love to watch both but I can't.

Given that the TV doesn't do that, even with Blu-Rays, and also that most stuff on Netflix is fine, as is the broadband speed, but I see this symptom both on the TV and on my computer I can only conclude that it has something to do with those particular streams. Yet, nobody else seems to notice it. Makes me wonder if he has this sort of problem too, but worse than I have.

But it doesn't mean that the TV is defective and replacing it would achieve nothing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, DTMark said:

Perhaps he needs to choose a better quality television - you get what you pay for?

That said. I do have some sympathy for the guy. For whatever reason I'm especially sensitive to what I'd call "jitter" in TV pictures.

I can watch something on one of the tacky channels that looks like a programme they taped onto VHS thirty years ago even though the picture quality is dismal.

However I can't watch certain big series on Netflix because they suffer from some weird jitter that my brain simply won't tolerate. It actually makes me dizzy after even only a few seconds. It's where the movement isn't quite fluid and it looks like every other frame is missing, or the frames aren't being delivered at a consistent speed. 

Stranger Things and the new Star Trek series spring to mind - it seems to have something to do with them having been filmed in exceptionally high quality and something goes wrong between the original master and the playback on the TV. I'd love to watch both but I can't.

Given that the TV doesn't do that, even with Blu-Rays, and also that most stuff on Netflix is fine, as is the broadband speed, but I see this symptom both on the TV and on my computer I can only conclude that it has something to do with those particular streams. Yet, nobody else seems to notice it. Makes me wonder if he has this sort of problem too, but worse than I have.

But it doesn't mean that the TV is defective and replacing it would achieve nothing.

i see this also on certain tv channels, especially when the camera follows someone walking or pans sideways across a wider shot like a landscape or can happen even in just a room. Usually happens on some shit free view channel like quest or dave, but i have seen it on film 4 and also the So-Called BBC. Its usually in films.

Sort of a stop start motion, much akin to a slow computer that cant maintain the framerate, but on the TV its more of a pulse because its so regular.

It doesnt really bother me since i can only watch tv for about half an hour before;

i) my arse aches, not used to sitting down a lot.

ii) im so radged by the content that i could kick the screen in.

iii) ive checked thru every channel and source and i still cant find anything worth watching.

Its not just you.

Edited by leonardratso

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Possible explanation:

https://www.wired.com/2014/08/wtf-just-happened-soap-opera-effect/

"You just bought a brand-new TV, but instead of being blown away by the picture you’re starting to think it actually makes everything look worse. Well, maybe worse is the wrong word. Unnaturally smooth is more like it. Movies don’t look like movies; they look like they were shot on a camcorder. Why is your TV fixing what ain't broke?

This annoying little phenomenon is commonly referred to as the "soap opera effect," and it's a by product of your TV's motion-enhancing features. Thankfully, the effect can be turned off, and that's probably a good idea when you're watching movies. While these smoothing features can make a few things look better—scrolling tickers, sports, and HDTV test discs, for example—our eyes and brains expect something very different when we’re watching movies. A slower frame rate is one of them."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

he's got a point in that modern panels are not perfect eg lighter areas of screen when the whole screen should be black, but if it's not too bad you just put up with it as it's only noticeable in testing and it's a modern miracle to have something so thin compared to crt. Obviously this guy couldn't compromise, some personality defect most likely

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.