• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
sarahbell

Premium bonds

I’m into pb at the moment. It’s a nice incentive to save my spare cash, seeing my stake build up. About to break the 5 figure milestone :Jumping:

It’s so great when you win. Ok, it’s just 25 quid but hey, I’m a winner! Really puts me in a great mood for the day. I’ve hit that sweet spot where the returns match cash isa.

no prize this month though, boo.

Two things bother me though. Looking at the big prize winners list on the website, most winners hold the max 50k. But I would have thought most holders would just have hundred to a few k, and very few hold the 50k max, so it seems counter intuitive that most winners hold the max. Almost as if it is weighted to your holding size. Well, maybe I’m wrong and most holders do have 50k

More unusual is that it lists “bond value” as a column heading. Now each bond is £1 so this makes no sense. I assume it means the amount spent when that bond was bought. But this is as relavent as the persons hair colour. Why list it? And it’s strange that the winners all have big bond values, not a few hundred quid that you would have if you bought regularly. Well it’s playing on my mind as I bought a 3k chunk then a few hundred quid every month. After my holding reached about 6k prizes started rolling in but it was always from the 3k chunk. No other bonds have won. Almost as if they want big one off payments.

well, let’s see what next month brings :)

15 hours ago, Kurt Barlow said:

I'd forgo the 0.3% and just stick with NSI. I couldn't ever hand ever my money to the Vampire Squid. 

Thats a major incentive for me to hang on to my PB's. 1 million would be ideal. I could live comfortably without the need to work / work full time. 

well it more of the point other financial institutions will be matching. In addition with easy access is now inline with PB's advertised winning rate, which I dont believe is that high for a second. subsquently imo unless one has maxed out all personal allowances I personally would rather take the guranteed 1.5%.

I won another £25, twice in two months. Was a dud all year until I liquidated half ¬¬

Lol let's keep this thread running. £200 - square root of zilch in prizes. This certificate dates from 2005.

No prizes this month!

10 hours ago, Kurt Barlow said:

Were these winnings for October? If they are I'm fooked off because I won nothing. I have 50K in there. 

Afraid so. The draw I believe takes place on the last day of the previous month as the big winners are updated on the website on the 1st. When I logged in yesterday it was showing my £25.

6 minutes ago, Admiral Pepe said:

Afraid so. The draw I believe takes place on the last day of the previous month as the big winners are updated on the website on the 1st. When I logged in yesterday it was showing my £25.

I think it’s the first of the month 

2 minutes ago, One percent said:

I've read somewhere before that apprently the supposed millionaires get a knock on the door on the 1st. So would have to assume they have a bit of notice to arrange that. Who knows though, on or around the 1st of the month. Perhaps that's why new money deposited isn't eligble for the next draw? The main webpage gets updated with 20 pages of bigger winners on the 1st that's for sure. Minnows takes another day at least on the website to update. Ive never used the app though so no idea when results pop up.

2 hours ago, Admiral Pepe said:

I've read somewhere before that apprently the supposed millionaires get a knock on the door on the 1st. So would have to assume they have a bit of notice to arrange that. Who knows though, on or around the 1st of the month. Perhaps that's why new money deposited isn't eligble for the next draw? The main webpage gets updated with 20 pages of bigger winners on the 1st that's for sure. Minnows takes another day at least on the website to update. Ive never used the app though so no idea when results pop up.

On the app, it tells you when the next notification is. Normally two to four days, depending on whether it’s a weekend, before the results appear 

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, One percent said:

I usually get a notification by email that comes on the 4/5th of the Month

We real surname comes towards the end of the alphabet - maybe that delays the email by a day ot two. 

That or I haven't won 25 or 50 quid this month. 

Edited by Kurt Barlow

50 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

We real surname comes towards the end of the alphabet - maybe that delays the email by a day ot two. 

The emails come a few days later. Login online or use the app.

1 hour ago, Kurt Barlow said:

I've won 25 and still not been notified by email

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Admiral Pepe said:

According to the Ernie Facebook page agent millionaire does set off the day before the announcement of big winners to give the two millionaire winners advance and personal notice.

For October big winners info was available on Monday the 1st of October then all other prize info available on the 2nd. It varies every month because premium bonds provide information on working days basis i.e. mon - fri. Some months bigger winners aren’t announced on the 1st if it falls on sat or sun.

Edited by Van Lady

i just use the nsandi webpage on the 2nd working day of each month to put in my number and see if I can down tools, tell a few truths and walk out (or at least hand in my notice, i'm not dumping the good people at work in it) :-)

31 minutes ago, Kwygibo said:

i just use the nsandi webpage on the 2nd working day of each month to put in my number and see if I can down tools, tell a few truths and walk out (or at least hand in my notice, i'm not dumping the good people at work in it) :-)

It depends how much money would be life changing for you. If it’s £1M then you’d already know you’d won it before checking the nsi page as per my post above.

For me £100k would be life changing so there is still some excitement in checking out the big winners on nsi page.

11 minutes ago, Van Lady said:

It depends how much money would be life changing for you. If it’s £1M then you’d already know you’d won it before checking the nsi page as per my post above.

For me £100k would be life changing so there is still some excitement in checking out the big winners on nsi page.

I wasn't trying to contradict you, apologies if it sounded that way, I was just saying what I do. I would love to have a knock on the door before the start of the month, and didn't realise that the larger prizes were on the website on the 1st of the month. I will be checking 2 days in a row now (and £100K would be life changing for me too!) I do like it when I see the £1m winner is someone with a very small holding, I remember seeing someone with ~£400 once winning it and thinking "good for you"

3 minutes ago, Kwygibo said:

I wasn't trying to contradict you, apologies if it sounded that way, I was just saying what I do. I would love to have a knock on the door before the start of the month, and didn't realise that the larger prizes were on the website on the 1st of the month. I will be checking 2 days in a row now (and £100K would be life changing for me too!) I do like it when I see the £1m winner is someone with a very small holding, I remember seeing someone with ~£400 once winning it and thinking "good for you"

No, I didn’t for a minute think you tried to contradict me so no apologies required.

Unfortunately unless you’re away from home the day before big winner announcement you’ll always know you’ve won a million on premium bonds.

Like me you still have the excitement of checking because £100k would be life changing any anything else would be well received also!

I like it a lot when any bigger prize goes to holders of under £5k but under £1k is better. There were a few bigger winners in the October draw who fitted those categories. Usually there are at least one or two.

It was either last year or the year before that one of the million pound winners had won in their first eligible draw. If I remember correctly they had put a large amount in, at least 30k, and bagged one of the top prizes in the first draw they were eligible for. Lucky bugger!

I got an email last night at 20:15 to let me know of my winnings, so a little delay but not terrible.

For now though I've withdrawn the remainder of the money I had in there bar the £50 winnings. Doubt I'll win anymore with only £50 but was more just to keep the account running should i find myself with a spare £50k to dump somewhere.

On 02/10/2018 at 22:02, Kurt Barlow said:

Were these winnings for October? If they are I'm fooked off because I won nothing. I have 50K in there. 

Yes.
husband has 25 quid

He's at £125 this year now.
My total for the year is £100 which is shit loads more than the interest the money would have had in the bank.

2 hours ago, sarahbell said:

Yes.
husband has 25 quid

He's at £125 this year now.
My total for the year is £100 which is shit loads more than the interest the money would have had in the bank.

What's your % return been and over what period/how consistent? Mine was less than 1% on a period over 9 months or so.