• Welcome to DOSBODS

    Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

SNACR

Songs that inexplicably still get quite a lot of radio airplay

Recommended Posts

Whenever I flick to some commercial radio station I often find them playing the same decade, or more, old songs quite regularly and it doesn't seem based on any sort of merit.

Songs like Coolio Gangster's paradise, I can't understand why it's worthy of such longevity and there's loads more which I can't think of until they play the bloody thing again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I quite like hearing Gangster's Paradise every so often.

The thing that grates me with these "oldies" radio stations like GOLD or Magic is that they make out music was better in the 60s/870s/80s. When in reality they are playing a tiny selection of the "best bits".  Most 60s music was fucking terrible if you look up the "charts this day in 196x" and give it a listen on Youtube!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, spunko2010 said:

I quite like hearing Gangster's Paradise every so often.

The thing that grates me with these "oldies" radio stations like GOLD or Magic is that they make out music was better in the 60s/870s/80s. When in reality they are playing a tiny selection of the "best bits".  Most 60s music was fucking terrible if you look up the "charts this day in 196x" and give it a listen on Youtube!

Thats true as far as the charts go, but the sheer weight of quality stuff that never hit the charts counters that, and actually outweighs it by a considerable degree. Especially in the 60s. Its actually probably more true now than before given how much stuff is being produced.

The counter to that is the Radio 2 daytime playlist which is all, frankly, a waste of electricity.

Look at all the (widely unknown) 60's Northern Soul classics that (for me at least) smash 99% of Motown to a paste.

For every Dave Clark 5 there was The Action and The Smoke and the Blossom Toes.

The sheer outpouring of decent music in the 60s was gob smacking.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

I quite like hearing Gangster's Paradise every so often.

The thing that grates me with these "oldies" radio stations like GOLD or Magic is that they make out music was better in the 60s/870s/80s. When in reality they are playing a tiny selection of the "best bits".  Most 60s music was fucking terrible if you look up the "charts this day in 196x" and give it a listen on Youtube!

survivor bias

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Return Of The Mack

Fairly catchy but there's other far better stuff from the same era. Bands like Cast don't get a sniff from their whole playlist and are pretty much forgotten.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Heart" seems to be aimed at forty-somethings and they appear to only have a few records. Sort of middle-of-the-road inoffensive pleasant things.

Flick over to that at any given moment and the chance it will be something by Bruno Mars is pretty high.

Gangsta's Paradise.. from Wikipedia: contrast the stance of the not entirely dissimilar messages of this with modern-day aggressive shit like Stormzy.

Coolio begins by reflecting on his life in a Biblical fashion: that his partaking in hoodlum activities has drained him of hope, and his damaged relationship with his mother. However, the narrative turns at this point with Coolio threatening rival gangs with certain death in the event that they take verbal liberties or transgress into his territory. He subsequently educates the listener on the history behind his current position in society; explaining the way in which his upbringing has entrapped him by creating his lust for power, money and murder. However it is at this point that he acknowledges the uncertainty of his survival on the street. Coolio therefore begins to lament the cyclical nature of the violence in which he partakes, as well as elucidating the collective chaos created by individual greed, selfishness and a lack of education or role models. He ends his personal journey on a hopeless admission: that his situation and surroundings will never improve.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I quite like Harder Than You Think by Public Enemy and it's regrettable those twunts on The Last Leg have commandeered it for their weekly shitefest but I've a big problem with exactly how 'gangsta' they all really are.

Did gangsters really sit around the hood listening to, er, Shirley Bassey?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DTMark said:

"Heart" seems to be aimed at forty-somethings and they appear to only have a few records. Sort of middle-of-the-road inoffensive pleasant things.

That sentence covers both Heart the Radio station and Heart the band (although "Dreamboat Annie" isn't bad)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Option5 said:

That sentence covers both Heart the Radio station and Heart the band (although "Dreamboat Annie" isn't bad)

I very nearly clarified that by adding "FM" to the end. Then I realised that I have become old.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, SNACR said:

I quite like Harder Than You Think by Public Enemy and it's regrettable those twunts on The Last Leg have commandeered it for their weekly shitefest but I've a big problem with exactly how 'gangsta' they all really are.

Did gangsters really sit around the hood listening to, er, Shirley Bassey?

 

Old classic riffs were frequently repurposed for rap tracks. Often with better results.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, SNACR said:

I quite like Harder Than You Think by Public Enemy and it's regrettable those twunts on The Last Leg have commandeered it for their weekly shitefest but I've a big problem with exactly how 'gangsta' they all really are.

I was a bit 'gang' when I was younger - rough area, mates in youth custody, knives, etc - and I reckon this says it better than anything by the likes of 35 year-old Stormzy (who should fucking grow up)

 

Edited by Panther

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great track (Morrissey). And this.

Fantastic collaboration and one of my favourite albums. Yes, it's that Marky Mark. And Ital Joe, who was tragically killed in a car crash not long after this.

It's from a lovely little film called Renaissance Man and I'll admit that the scene where this is played has me in tears.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, DTMark said:

Great track (Morrissey). And this.

Fantastic collaboration and one of my favourite albums. Yes, it's that Marky Mark. And Ital Joe, who was tragically killed in a car crash not long after this.

It's from a lovely little film called Renaissance Man and I'll admit that the scene where this is played has me in tears.

 

Was he called Ital Joe, because of his choice of cars as wouldn't fancy anyone's chances in a crash in one. 

103696042_Morris-Ital_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bq

 

Edited by SNACR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Rowley said:

Heard KLF - The Justified Ancients of Mu Mu yesterday. Good god, that was bad on so many levels.

Are you insane?

It was great.

And the drugs they were on must have been truely awesome!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Bkkandrew said:

Are you insane?

It was great.

And the drugs they were on must have been truely awesome!

If they're potless now, after torching £1m, it will have been a really long painful comedown.

I bet Tammy Wynette's stopped calling.

Edit to add: the googles says she's dead so if she is it's the drugs.

Edited by SNACR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shindigger said:

Look at all the (widely unknown) 60's Northern Soul classics that (for me at least) smash 99% of Motown to a paste.

Seems like a good enough reason as any to post a Northern Soul Girl video.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SNACR said:

Was he called Ital Joe, because of his choice of cars as wouldn't fancy anyone's chances in a crash in one. 

103696042_Morris-Ital_trans_NvBQzQNjv4Bq

 

This replaced the Marina i believe.

Why even bother??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, SNACR said:

Whenever I flick to some commercial radio station I often find them playing the same decade, or more, old songs quite regularly and it doesn't seem based on any sort of merit.

Songs like Coolio Gangster's paradise, I can't understand why it's worthy of such longevity and there's loads more which I can't think of until they play the bloody thing again.

Good luck to Coolio.  He’s carved out a twenty year plus career on the back of one song.  Last time I heard about him, he was about to play in Taunton.

Edited by Dave Beans

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Dave Beans said:

Good luck to Coolio.  He’s carved out a twenty year plus career on the back of one song.  Last time I heard about him, he was about to play in Taunton.

Did you see him when you got there, see him when you got there, see him when you got there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dave Beans said:

Good luck to Coolio.  He’s carved out a twenty year plus career on the back of one song.  Last time I heard about him, he was about to play in Taunton.

My Missus is off to watch Britney Spears this September...

...in Blackpool.

O.o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.