• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/jul/04/terry-gilliam-on-diversity-bbc-monty-python-black-lesbian

Gilliam said: “It made me cry: the idea that ... no longer six white Oxbridge men can make a comedy show. Now we need one of this, one of that, everybody represented... this is bullshit. I no longer want to be a white male, I don’t want to be blamed for everything wrong in the world: I tell the world now I’m a black lesbian... My name is Loretta and I’m a BLT, a black lesbian in transition.”

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, sarahbell said:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/jul/04/terry-gilliam-on-diversity-bbc-monty-python-black-lesbian

Gilliam said: “It made me cry: the idea that ... no longer six white Oxbridge men can make a comedy show. Now we need one of this, one of that, everybody represented... this is bullshit. I no longer want to be a white male, I don’t want to be blamed for everything wrong in the world: I tell the world now I’m a black lesbian... My name is Loretta and I’m a BLT, a black lesbian in transition.”

....'and that was the last anybody heard from Terry. It is thought that he ended his days in a harsh BBC-funded gulag for reprogramming located somewhere in the deepest wilderness of Islington, most likely in the 'Owen Jones Room of Equality'. A much feared torture chamber where prisoners are forced to repeat all of the gender pronouns for days on end and are force-fed a daily diet of guilt and toxic masculinity. Those few that survive can be found wandering the streets of London, clothed in torn pages from the Guardian and muttering 'Xe, Xer? What the fuck is going on?'

Edited by Sgt Hartman

It's alright - they are going to make a reboot of the Life Of Brian

(I made that up of course, that might be allowed?)

2 minutes ago, 201p said:

With a woman in the lead role?

"I'm Brian, and so is my husband!"

3 minutes ago, 201p said:

Should get away with it.

'The life of Achmed' on the other hand...

2 minutes ago, unregistered_guest said:

With a woman in the lead role?

"I'm Brian, and so is my husband!"

Stan: I want to have babies.
Reg: You want to have babies?!?!
Stan: It's every man's right to have babies if he wants them.
Reg: But ... you can't HAVE babies!
Stan: Don't you oppress me!
Reg: I'm not oppressing you, Stan. You haven't got a womb! Where's the foetus gonna gestate? You gonna keep it in a box?

48 minutes ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Should get away with it.

'The life of Achmed' on the other hand...

I would pay millions to see that...

It would be worth getting a fatwa for.

Posted (edited)

The So-Called BBC's comedy controller (that's a laugh) thinks Monty Python is unoriginal because he can't see past the colour of their skin. The way to solve this is obviously by selecting minority comedians with underrepresented stories. So now we have the black female comedian making jokes about being a black female in Britain, followed by the trans lesbian dwarf making jokes about being a trans lesbian dwarf in Britain, with not a dead parrot or Socratic goal in site. How's that for originality?

And the comedy is just as dead as the parrot.

Edited by axolotl

1 hour ago, Sgt Hartman said:

Stan: I want to have babies.
Reg: You want to have babies?!?!
Stan: It's every man's right to have babies if he wants them.
Reg: But ... you can't HAVE babies!
Stan: Don't you oppress me!
Reg: I'm not oppressing you, Stan. You haven't got a womb! Where's the foetus gonna gestate? You gonna keep it in a box?

(!)They were onto identity politics in that film

Funny thing racism.  It permeates through so that it becomes normalised.  

Just as people in the 1950's thought it 'normal and right' to say 'no blacks!', people now think it 'normal and right' to say 'you're too white!'

Racism is easy to beat -- just be colourblind.   Yet all the rhetoric these days is exactly the opposite.

That sketch above is brilliant.

Back then, it was satire.

The only reason it is offensive now is that satire has replaced - and become - normality and reality in some circles. It is no wonder that clip will make some people very uncomfortable these days.

In reality, that's a very small number of shouty, vocal, self-righteous people with mental issues who rant on Twitter.

Enabled by governments responding to such nonsense as if it merits taking seriously.