• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Libspero

MP3 Format Now Officially Dead

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/technology/the-mp3-format-is-officially-dead/ar-BBB9p17?OCID=ansmsnnews11

the Fraunhofer Institute for Integrated Circuits – the German agency that invented the audio format and licenses some patents for it – has officially terminated its licensing program.

This doesn’t mean that MP3s stored on your hard drive will stop working, but don’t expect to see many new devices professing support for the format from here on out.

I hope there will continue to be support for a while..  my entire audio collection is MP3.

1 hour ago, Happy Renting said:

Ah, so did MSN in the OP misunderstand (and consequently misrepresent) the Fraunhofer Institute's reasons?

The articles seemed to suggest that hardware companies were likely to slowly reduce support in favour of newer formats like AAC which offer better quality at lower bit rates and are supported by apple et al.

I hope MP3 will be around for a a while longer and I'm sure it isn't that hard to convert everything if necessary..  but history tells us format fashions tend to move swiftly and absolutely.

6 minutes ago, Libspero said:

The articles seemed to suggest that hardware companies were likely to slowly reduce support in favour of newer formats like AAC which offer better quality at lower bit rates and are supported by apple et al.

I hope MP3 will be around for a a while longer and I'm sure it isn't that hard to convert everything if necessary..  but history tells us format fashions tend to move swiftly and absolutely.

Yeah, but MP3's are getting better and better as storage size increases and the cost tumbles. What benefit would you get in a 20% reduction in size when storage space doubles every year?

5 hours ago, XswampyX said:

Yeah, but MP3's are getting better and better as storage size increases and the cost tumbles. What benefit would you get in a 20% reduction in size when storage space doubles every year?

Some people complain about MP3 even at high bit rates.  Admittedly I'm playing devils advocate because I can't really notice a difference myself,  but perhaps there is a quality argument to be made.  I think even when MP3 originally became mainstream a lot of people wanted to encode losslessly or use alternatives like ogg vorbis. Back then space was more of an issue and Ogg was late to the party,  but if record labels and manufacturers start pushing for it I can see alternatives sweeping through pretty quickly..  especially if they are proprietary and have DRM capability.  I guess we'll have to see what the kids are using these days..

7 hours ago, XswampyX said:

Don't think there is any real need for audio compression any more, certainly not lossy algorithms- as you say the storage capacity is leaping ahead of the base requirement for space.  Saving my collection to FLAC at the moment which is lossless.