• Welcome to DOSBODS

Please consider creating a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

Sign in to follow this  
Melchett

Why do people on social media assume everyone is an SJW?

Looking at my feeds today on Twattyfaceachegram, and yet another day when most people (except a few brave and much harassed souls) seem to assume that everyone shares their SJW views, despite electoral evidence to the contrary. Loads of the usual racist and sexist anti Trump anti male anti white shite, but also more than the usual ad Homs directed at anyone vaguely Brexit flavoured.

Notwithstanding my previous observation that you have to be willing to be piled on by these types if you openly don't subscribe to their narrative, I find myself wondering at other reasons why most posters on these sort of sites assumes that there is only one possible correct view of the world.

for my part, it is because I simply don't have the time or inclination to argue with idiots. It's a long running thing, going back decades, that has its roots in deciding there was nothing fruitful to Ben gained by arguing with religious nuts, animal rights nuts, or the antinuclear crowd. It's now become a habit.

But I'm sure there must be more nuances, too.

Read recently (maybe on here)that most large corporations (think So-called BBC etc) are destined to become left-wing over time, as right wingers are generally tolerant and will accept employees of different view points. When a leftie finally takes charge, they are very intolerant and will not entertain opposing viewpoints. Net effect, the business becomes left wing. I suspect the same with social media. Lefties are far more open with their arguments and opinions and will strive to dominate whatever arena they are in.

The most vocal people to any cause are always the new recruits. They get bored and move on. The problem with social media is that there's a never ending supply of new people. 

Posted (edited)

You've almost answered your own question. Those  of us a little more to the right/down have better things to do than to be spouting nonsense on social media. Extreme lefties are very noisy and can't comprehend that anyone they know might have a different view. It really comes down to the fact that left and right have fundamentally different personality traits.

Jonathan Haidt's work is well worth spending some time on. You could start with this.

Edited by NTB
Make vid work

1 minute ago, Captain Cavey said:

It’s McCarthy 2.0. Your livelihood & social standing is at risk if you deviate from the perceived norm.

While I don't disagree with any other the other posters, this is the most insidious thing to me about the whole business.

Fine.  Suck them all in, lock in dependency, then cut off the electrics!  Modern day equivalent of co-locating teams to save on gre*ades!

2 hours ago, NTB said:

You've almost answered your own question. Those  of us a little more to the right/down have better things to do than to be spouting nonsense on social media. Extreme lefties are very noisy and can't comprehend that anyone they know might have a different view. It really comes down to the fact that left and right have fundamentally different personality traits.

Jonathan Haidt's work is well worth spending some time on. You could start with this.

Indeed. I find myself posting less and less on here. 😂

1 minute ago, Libspero said:

I have noticed that most of the intelligent or succesful people I know have gradually stopped posting on Facebook because they don't have time and/or have nothing to prove.  

On the other hand, people with shit for brains and/or too much time on their hands seem to post prolifically.

The fact that ill informed opinion and air headed panglossian political ideology are commonplace probably shouldn't come as any surprise.

Every day’s an education. New word for the day. :)

13 hours ago, goldbug9999 said:

For the right, the argument is about pragmatism, for the left its about a moral imperative. A right wing person views left wingers as misguided and/or stupid, a left wing person views right wingers as nasty, hateful, immoral, selfish etc etc. Hence why right wingers are more tolerant and measured in the face of opposing views.

Much though I am enjoying the other answers, I think they explain some of the process and encourage people to continue, this for me gets to the root cause of it.

thanks Goldbug

14 hours ago, spunko2010 said:

The most vocal people to any cause are always the new recruits. They get bored and move on. The problem with social media is that there's a never ending supply of new people. 

I guess by the time you have had 14 years of free State education and three years at Uni then all you understand is everything is free, and the magic money tree  gets translated into taking all comers from Africa and looking after benefit lifers properly also comes without cost, labour and resources.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/01/telegraph-cartoons-may-2017/

On 09/07/2018 at 22:02, One percent said:

Every day’s an education. New word for the day. :)

On ‎09‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 22:46, Sucralose Ray Leonard said:

Indeed. I find myself posting less and less on here. 😂

I notice that I'm finding fewer threads that sustain my interest now. In the main I think its because we tend towards similar opinions and perspectives. I agree more than disagree with the prevailing opinions and then find I have nothing new to say or add to the conversation. 

I don't want to post an opposing view just to be contrary but I do like to delve into topics more deeply than the sound bites trotted out on the broadcast media. 

On 10/07/2018 at 23:07, sleepwello'nights said:

I notice that I'm finding fewer threads that sustain my interest now. In the main I think its because we tend towards similar opinions and perspectives. I agree more than disagree with the prevailing opinions and then find I have nothing new to say or add to the conversation. 

I don't want to post an opposing view just to be contrary but I do like to delve into topics more deeply than the sound bites trotted out on the broadcast media. 

I've nothing against the site. I'm trying to wean myself away from technology that doesn't actually help me, and in fact takes up valuable time. 

4 minutes ago, Sucralose Ray Leonard said:

I've nothing against the site. I'm trying to wean myself away from technology that doesn't actually help me, and in fact takes up valuable time. 

Easy, just take the piss and enjoy the responses 😂