DOSBODS
  • Welcome to DOSBODS

DOSBODS is free of any advertising.

Ads are annoying, and - increasingly - advertising companies limit free speech online. DOSBODS Forums are completely free to use. Please create a free account to be able to access all the features of the DOSBODS community. It only takes 20 seconds!

IGNORED

Why HPC.com might not be for me anymore

grumpygit

leonardratso

Actually ive never seen the point of the HPC website, how does it actually make any money? is it all advertising, that cant be much cop with the proliferation of ad blocking software. Plus if they really believed in the content of their website, why are they so hostile to their patronage? even the ones that arent particularly militant or rampant with their views.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1 hour ago, One percent said:

Behave. You are just fomenting discord for no particular reason.

We have rubbed along on here for over a year without any major argument @The XYY Man excepted, and suddenly we get a mass influx of tossers and it becomes discordant. 

Take your arguments elsewhere please. Debate yes but when it becomes personal attack, then it isn’t wanted. 

I thought it was a good bit of subtle piss take, will take note for next time and be even more subtle.

leonardratso
8 minutes ago, Option5 said:

The XYY man series was mostly set in pubs, was this typecasting? iIRC Bullman drank something Nigerian 😂

And your point is? :D

pointless

One percent
3 minutes ago, Banned by HPC said:

I thought it was a good bit of subtle piss take, will take note for next time and be even more subtle.

Or, like me don’t do subtle and just say fuck off. But, then forget and move on...

Inoperational Bumblebee
1 hour ago, TheBlueCat said:

Not sure if this is because I'm far away in Canada-land, but HPC is basically unusably slow for me. Half the time pages don't load fully and, even when they do, it can be 10-15 second wait for everything to render. If they fixed that, I'd likely visit it more. Having said that, it has the stench of death about it to me, I wouldn't be surprised if Fubra are considering dumping it given how far from their core business it now seems to be.

Wow, after I wrote that I went and had a bit of a dig around their website and found this on their 'about' page:

That certainly explains a lot! The full horror can be seen here. I also note that the page took nearly 5 minutes to fully load, which is strange as it's AWS hosted. I would guess that they're struggling to pay the bills and have throttled back resources to keep things cheap. That would also explain why they have no current vacancies...

edit: although they were actually in pretty decent shape towards the end of 2017:

Fubra Accounts

Maybe it's just technical ineptitude?

It's just as bad in the UK, even with an ad blocker. It's like their server is on the moon or something. My thoughts are that when lots of people left, so did the Google rank, and so did their advertising income. Consequently they ramped up the advertising to compensate, and it's made it even worse. Pure speculation of course.

25 minutes ago, leonardratso said:

so grumpy git explains why HPC.com might not be for him, this sure is taking a long time  to get over his point on this thread, ive actually lost the thread of the thread now, did it ever make any sense or did it ever have a point?

I see you're starting to get to grips with the point of DOSBODS. :D

3 hours ago, TheBlueCat said:

Not sure if this is because I'm far away in Canada-land, but HPC is basically unusably slow for me. Half the time pages don't load fully and, even when they do, it can be 10-15 second wait for everything to render. If they fixed that, I'd likely visit it more. Having said that, it has the stench of death about it to me, I wouldn't be surprised if Fubra are considering dumping it given how far from their core business it now seems to be.

Wow, after I wrote that I went and had a bit of a dig around their website and found this on their 'about' page:

That certainly explains a lot! The full horror can be seen here. I also note that the page took nearly 5 minutes to fully load, which is strange as it's AWS hosted. I would guess that they're struggling to pay the bills and have throttled back resources to keep things cheap. That would also explain why they have no current vacancies...

edit: although they were actually in pretty decent shape towards the end of 2017:

Fubra Accounts

Maybe it's just technical ineptitude?

Those bloody portraits alone are around a meg apiece, they've just cost anyone on a data limit at least 16 meg. Brilliant site design.

Yellow_Reduced_Sticker
On 10/07/2018 at 11:46, grumpygit said:

Right, I am going to risk this post on here. I was invited by several people on HPC to try this forum, something must have resonated with what I was saying on there, controlled though of course because of the heavy censorship. I bet this is going to click with a lot of people, I am 100% certain that 100's have left HPC because of this view and even more banned. Several years ago or maybe a little longer I could have given you a rock solid argument on why the UK housing policies were a total farce and why the whole debt fed mess was going to end in a massive collapse. I still totally believe the UK property market is in crisis and is one massive big Ponzi scheme  that really should not be surviving and am amazed that people can cope with the debts and work needed to keep afloat in the worst possible housing.

But it did survive, and it continues to survive and you start to wonder, have I go=t this wrong what have I missed? 

The site HPC does not really work for me anymore, I am wanting a crash as much as the next HPC member, but other questions now need to be asked, what can we do, what could we have missed, but none of this is allowed on what is now a profit making website that does not give a s*** about the people using it, in fact it would pay them for the property crash never to come.

In a nutshell then...GOOD reason to tell them to F**K OFF and stay here!

Listen, I've only been here a short time and the folks are a FRIENDLY bunch, I don't see much arguing unlike ToS, AND best of all YOU can say what you really feel here, NO need to worry about ya P's and Q's here! :Jumping:

...Oh BTW if the ToS/hpc mods are reading this go ahead and BAN my acc @hpc I don't give a flying F**K cos I don't post there anymore AND I'm here mainly for DB's thread...

2 hours ago, Yellow_Reduced_Sticker said:

In a nutshell then...GOOD reason to tell them to F**K OFF and stay here!

Listen, I've only been here a short time and the folks are a FRIENDLY bunch, I don't see much arguing unlike ToS, AND best of all YOU can say what you really feel here, NO need to worry about ya P's and Q's here! :Jumping:

...Oh BTW if the ToS/hpc mods are reading this go ahead and BAN my acc @hpc I don't give a flying F**K cos I don't post there anymore AND I'm here mainly for DB's thread...

Mostly good experience, just had the one idiot gunning for me, thanks :-) 

8 minutes ago, grumpygit said:

Mostly good experience, just had the one idiot gunning for me, thanks :-) 

How can it be good; several people on your own topic have mocked you. Then i have tried my best to get you to answer comments correctly and the best you can do is a poor mans straw man argument.

leonardratso

just give each other cold shoulder, best way, none of this messy divorce sheeet, or last word crud.

14 hours ago, Banned by HPC said:

How can it be good; several people on your own topic have mocked you. Then i have tried my best to get you to answer comments correctly and the best you can do is a poor mans straw man argument.

Just go away you silly little troll and your childish little rants and playground mentality "they don;t like you either" really? how old are you

11 minutes ago, grumpygit said:

Just go away you silly little troll and your childish little rants and playground mentality "they don;t like you either" really? how old are you

Whats your username on MSE. Can see your landlord credentials. Ot is that a secret?

Yellow_Reduced_Sticker
4 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

This thread will be locked shortly unless the petulant arguing stops.

xDxDxD

i had to google: petulant = of a person or their manner) childishly sulky or bad-tempered.

Yellow_Reduced_Sticker
On 14/07/2018 at 22:27, leonardratso said:

Actually ive never seen the point of the HPC website, how does it actually make any money? is it all advertising, that cant be much cop with the proliferation of ad blocking software. Plus if they really believed in the content of their website, why are they so hostile to their patronage? even the ones that arent particularly militant or rampant with their views.

Advertisers JUST look at the TRAFFIC numbers visiting the site, if they have LOTS and LOTS of eyeballs at a site ...then they pay to advertise.

leonardratso
1 hour ago, Wig said:

Bit petulant mate O.o:P

Ill scweam and scweam and scweam until im sick

Archived